Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Concussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
"Brain buckets" work when intersecting with trees, pavement, or bumpers at 40 mph. Saying they are worthless is not quite true. This website would suggest that helmets are quite useful in saving the lives of bicyclists:Bicycle Helmet Statistics

If you have evidence to the contrary, would like to see it.
I would think anything is better than nothing. From my experience on our sailboat, going forward to tend/drop sails in nasty rough weather, a helmet would have been a good thing. I got wacked by the boom a time or two, when not paying proper attention. Even a light helmet would, no doubt, ease the pain.

My wife & I down hill skied for many years. In the later years many people, both young and older, started wearing helmets. My wife fell backwards on the ice, & hit the back of her head really hard. It took her a few minutes to "get it together" before she could get up & going.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I used to carry a bike helmet for going up the mast. Particularly when doing it under sail it was pretty common to take a few body blows from the rigging. These days I don't race like that anymore and stopped carrying one with me everywhere. Still probably not a bad idea to keep one on the boat.
Old 08-03-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Was referring to the novelty helmets worn to just barely comply with state law. You may want to read the"Hurt Report" ( really was the first authors name). Also eu standards and justification for helmet standards. All this refers to motorcycles not bicycles. Personally wear an Arai which closely fits my oval ( brachiocephalic) head. My professional colleagues thought I was nuts for riding a motorcycle. My social friends nuts for blowing the money on a new Arai every 5 years or after a good fall. Once while dual sporting had a tank slapper. Went air borne for around 30-40 feet. Had the Arai and full gear on(aerostich) Called the bride to bring the truck and help get the KTM 990 upright on on track. Rode home. Listened to her tell me I was too old to keep breaking ribs and fingers Sold that bike but still ride my wing from time to time. Yes I'm a deep believer in helmets.

Last edited by outbound; 08-03-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Outbound-
" I have hard dodger. Although frequency is decreasing I still bang my head on it at least every other day. " This is one reason that overheads are often padded. A closed-cell camping groundpad (ensolite is off-white) or yoga mat could take the sting out of that.
Or of course, in the US one could sue the dodger maker, for selling such a dangerously unpadded dodger, and use the windfall to buy a real yacht with headroom.(VBG)
I've come to appreciate boats (and other places) that were designed without sharp corners and other invitations to damage. Although I'm told that hard unyielding porcelain toilets are the biggest cause of broken toes, from menfolk stumbling into them in the night. Drunk or sober. Honest!

"My social friends nuts for blowing the money on a new Arai every 5 years or after a good fall." Ah, did you point out to them that it might not be "blowing money" on a new one, since the money you'd wasted on the old one had already saved your noggin?
Old 08-03-2014

misfits is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your situation Brian.
Hope you get/feel better soon!

Bob
Old 08-03-2014

AKA44 is on a distinguished road

Wow - Brian!
As usual, you're sharing valuable stuff. I hit my head on so many things this first season on the boat that I began to wonder if I was experiencing symptoms of accumulating trauma. Wearing a baseball cap blocked my upward view leading to bangs more than a couple of times. Beyond the pain, it increased my sensitivity to how quickly cruising and the pleasure of a free and healthy life in general could be cut short by the myriad of simple perils we encounter on and around our boats. As with all our other activities, even extreme caution won't save us - it just buys us more time.
Godspeed on your full recovery. We'll be waiting with you.
Scott
Old 08-03-2014
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Was referring to the novelty helmets worn to just barely comply with state law. You may want to read the"Hurt Report" ( really was the first authors name). Also eu standards and justification for helmet standards. All this refers to motorcycles not bicycles. Personally wear an Arai which closely fits my oval ( brachiocephalic) head. My professional colleagues thought I was nuts for riding a motorcycle. My social friends nuts for blowing the money on a new Arai every 5 years or after a good fall. Once while dual sporting had a tank slapper. Went air borne for around 30-40 feet. Had the Arai and full gear on(aerostich) Called the bride to bring the truck and help get the KTM 990 upright on on track. Rode home. Listened to her tell me I was too old to keep breaking ribs and fingers Sold that bike but still ride my wing from time to time. Yes I'm a deep believer in helmets.
I Always cringe when I see someone riding on the street or dirt with an open face helmet. Face to ground contact is really bad, especially pavement.

In the early 70's the only full face helmets, IIRC, were the big heavy, ones used for road racing. In the early 70's we used to retrofit football face guards to our open face helmets as shown below. Now they make light full face helmets for off road use that you can actually breath in.

Paul T
Attached Thumbnails
Concussions-scan0006.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
There surely is a large difference in the strength of helmets. Bike helmets appear to be very flimsy. The helmet I have for road and mt. biking is very light, better than nothing I guess. Ski helmets, maybe because of the insulation factor are pretty rugged but would be too hot for sailing, as would a motorcycle helmet. They also cover ears which are needed on a sailboat. The kayak helmet I decided to take on the boat is made to absorb contact with rocks when you become the unwitting keel:-) It's pretty well made, has good ventilation, and is not too clunky to wear. I hear you. Back when I was married, I used to take a lot of woof woof about owning a motorcycle too. Was very tempted by a mint used Wing a few weeks ago. Someday I'll own another bike.
Old 08-03-2014
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
I Always cringe when I see someone riding on the street or dirt with an open face helmet. Face to ground contact is really bad, especially pavement.

In the early 70's the only full face helmets, IIRC, were the big heavy, ones used for road racing. In the early 70's we used to retrofit football face guards to our open face helmets as shown below. Now they make light full face helmets for off road use that you can actually breath in.

Paul T

I cringe when I see people riding without full gear.
Helmets, helmets, blah blah, yeah, yeah. People forget that road rash can be severe, send you to the burn unit, and require skin grafts.

You don't need to speak french to understand the point of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBRQnqwHgcg

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 08-04-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Maybe someone can come up with a good sailing helmet for us cruisers. The kayak idea has value but on a day to day admittedly we get lazy. Sometimes on sunny light air days there's no chance I be able to get the bride to wear one. She just wants a bathing suit and book to sun on the foredeck - no harness or tether but I'm working on her.i walk up there I wake her up and give her her set up to put on. I like that the Tilley hats have foam under the top. At least you get a little padding and you get to keep the dermatologist away from the top of your ears for few more years.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.