SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   mast collar (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/15734-mast-collar.html)

ddilman 04-26-2006 11:59 PM

mast collar

Is there a need to reseal the mast collar periodically? If so, how is that done?
Thanks

Faster 04-27-2006 12:35 AM

Mast Collar

One of the givens with keel-stepped masts is the potential for leaks around the partners at the deck. There are many reasons for the difficulty of sealing this area - the shape of the mast, it's extruded channels for sail tracks etc, the relative shape of the deck cutout at the partners, the presence of wedges to position the mast in the hole and so forth.

There are commercially available pour-in-place 2 part rubber compounds (such as Spar-Tite) that can be used to seal the gap around the mast. An industrial compound called Devcon is another alternative although it tends to have strong adhesion tendencies. These products can be poured around the mast once a temporary seal has been made inside the deck. Some care must be taken here to ensure that the seal doesn't leak down the mast and into the cabin while it sets. Precautions also need to be taken to ensure that the mast will actually come out at some future time, don't pour things in a shape that will not pull out, and don't use a product that will strongly adhere to the mast or partners. You might be able to use a mold-release wax to discourage adhesion while still providing a seal.

Of the several boats we have owned in recent years, one had a normal elliptical mast section in partners that were rectangular - a difficult transition to make and we had leakage there for some time. Finally we made a paper pattern and sewed a tailored, velcroed cover out of sunbrella and taped the top of the cover to the mast with rigging tape. We also siliconed the sail track extrusion to prevent leaks through that area. This worked well for us, though eventually the sunbrella will have to be renewed.

Regardless, even once a watertight seal is achieved around the partners, there is still the issue of water finding its way to the keel step down the inside of the mast, due to the various holes in the mast for halyard and wiring exits etc.

One of the down sides of keel stepped rigs!

pigslo 04-27-2006 09:40 AM

The Spartite system is by their lierature not a sealant but replaces partners. That being said it looks like it stuck pretty good on mine. A bead of 5200 or silicone around the mast should finish what the Spartite started.

Pigslo

sailandoar 04-27-2006 10:31 AM

Old time fabric boot, lashed and painted

Fabric boot cut and sewn to fit and then bedded in some goo and lashed with small stuff to the spar and the raised lip on the deck with some half hitches and then painted several times to waterproof. In teh future, as needed put some goo on any cracks and paint over it all. Goes without saying that surfaces to be painted should be clean and not shiny/glossy. Soap and water to clean/degrease and a scotchbrite pad to degloss and there you go. The spar and the deck lip that accepts the boot should be well painted before gooing down the boot and painting it.

ddilman 04-27-2006 10:47 AM

rubber boot

I apologize for using the wrong term in my original post.
I was refering to the rubber boot. Is tape and clamp hose both on the top and the bottom is sufficient? Or do I need to take other measure for sealing the rubber boot?

sailingfool 04-27-2006 11:01 AM

Pigslo,
"A bead of 5200 or silicone around the mast should finish what the Spartite started."
I don't think you want to use 5200 anywhere you anticipate wanting to remove it some day. The Spartite will age and eventually need replacement, I'd stick with the silicone. Definitely don't use 5200 on the mast collar edge of the Spartite, or the mast won't come out of the boat...

ddilman,
"Or do I need to take other measure for sealing the rubber boot?" depends on what is neceassry so your boot doesn't leak...More silicone, remove, clean and refit the boot cover, new boot cover, or converting to Spartite, whatever "no drip" requires. I am now at the "coverting to Spartite" stage.

Good luck.

mikeedmo 04-27-2006 11:47 AM

I converted to spartite and am happy with it, however, after a year of no water through the mast I'm now chasing a leak as was noted in an earlier communication from inside the mast... with little luck!

hamiam 04-27-2006 06:18 PM

Another Alt

You can buy self-amalgamating tape that is specifically designed for this application. Usually lasts a few seasons and then I either cut it off of simply tape over it again. Can be found in any marine store. Called Mast Boot Tape or something like that.

pigslo 04-27-2006 10:52 PM

Sailingfool...I stand by my assertion of 5200. It is not permanent though it has adhesive qualities beyond compare. Anyone that has used it knows that a bead will peal away without too much trouble. Sailingfool always picks apart everyone elses advice as a know-it-all but there is more than one way to do it and I have actually done it rather than just read about it.

Pigslo