Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2001

Sorn is on a distinguished road
Sea Sick info needed

Hello!

Where can I find info on how to get Stugeron (Cinnarizine) the anti motion sickness medication? I am looking for a specific source/pharmacy.

My last Rx was from UK 20 years ago. How do people get it now?

Thanks,

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Sea Sick info needed

just bought 2 bottles of 100 each in bermuda
you can also get it in canada. not available in the us.
eric
Old 07-08-2001

anneminix is on a distinguished road
Sea Sick info needed

any info needed about seasickness for new to ocean sailers tks
Old 07-09-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Sea Sick info needed

Anne, we''ve had excellent success with the Relief Bands you now see being advertised in mags and available from West Marine. These are bands worn on the wrist that produce a repetitive, adjustable electrical charge at a ''sensor spot'' on the underside of the wrist. They are expensive and, I thought, as bogus as the regular elastic wrist bands until I began talking to pilots who were raving about them. (Little planes can be pushed around by the weather as much as boats, and many pilots are susceptible to air sickness).

We bought the cheapest, non-battery replaceable unit to try out and, on a real blaster of a day on the Chesapeake, each had a total cancellation of initial nausea and related symptoms. Plus no drug side effects. Since then, my wife in particular has used them repeatedly as we sailed down the East Coast and out into the Caribbean. They don''t work for us absolutely & completely, 100% of the time...but then, nothing apparently does. But they''ve been a BIG help, and are usually completely effective. Most important, since you mention the intent of going offshore, the device does not impair your body''s natural adaptation to the motion (which some drugs do).

Good luck on the passage!

Jack
Old 07-09-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Sea Sick info needed

Oh, to Jeff...

I''ve had good success buying Stugeron direct from the UK. I''ve ordered it from an apothecary outside London on several occasions and had it delivered via USPS to my home address. It''s clearly marked as to its contents, and Customs has cleared it in - so I don''t have a clue how the FDA supposedly excludes its import, if in fact they do.

It seems to be well represented in the UK ''colonies'', which include Canada, Bahamas, Trinidad, etc. Know any friends scattered far & wide that could help you out?

Jack
Old 08-03-2001

pkrupela is on a distinguished road
Sea Sick info needed

Luckily, I rarely if ever get seasick - my gf on the other hand usually does. She''s tried everything - and the one thing that always works is oral scopolamine... not available in the US (the transdermal patch is but it made her sick), but availble over the counter in Australia, PNG, probably the UK, Tahiti, etc. We always get a supply when overseas and have friends get more. She swears by it - and usually mixes it with a Zantac.
Old 08-20-2001

bbrand is on a distinguished road
Sea Sick info needed

Bought some new stuff at the Annapolis boat show last year called motion ease. My wife, who will get sick in a heartbeat, was skeptical but for $12.00 why not try? It works like a charm. Essentailly it is a liquid applied behind the ears before and during sailing and it deadens the nerve associated with motion sickness. She smells like peppermint candy but we now cruise without worry and without sleepiness. In really bad weather she will also take a small dose of Phenegran which is a post anesthesia nausia medication. It is poweful stuff so usually 1/8 to 1/4 tablet does the job. It does cause drowsiness even in small doses but that beats the alternative. Your doctor probably would not object to issueing an RX. Zantac also helps with the anxiety sometimes associated with our sport.
Old 08-22-2001

Atlantic Bryan is on a distinguished road
Sea Sick info needed

As a Canadian, I tried to get Stugeron and couldn''t find it here. I ended up with meclizine instead.