Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Our new place

We're all coming over... ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Well done Andre!
Thanks Scott

Are you and Ellen going to be sailing New Zealand over this Xmas/New Year?

We're going to be doing the BOI and Great Barrier Island with a few other boats. I think you did BOI last year so probably don't want to to it again.

Let us know where you're sailing this year - maybe we can catch up?

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-09-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Let us know where you're sailing this year - maybe we can catch up?
We sold the Raven after our 4 month cruise earlier this year. The plan now is to buy a boat in the States and sail wherever the purchase occurs though we would like to explore the east coast and the Caribbean. Eventually we will make it back to NZ as we consider the country our home base.

We did make it up to the BOI this year and have sailed there a couple of times in years past. It is a fantastic area and as you said a good jumping off point to head up to the other Pacific Islands. We also made it out to GBI a number of times. We really like the island and have considered purchasing property there. As you know the whole Hauraki Gulf and BOI are great cruising grounds.

Give my best to Linda! She must be as pleased as you are.

Scott
Old 08-09-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Wow, that really sucks! Sitting there on the veranda watching your boat on its mooring. I'll bet you cannot not take a look every time you get a glimpse of the harbor.
You owe your wife big time now! Enjoy your perfect estate.
John
Old 08-10-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Good stuff Andre. Although we've only made it there once, our friend's place near Coromandel (Hotwater Beach maybe ?) and your pics make me somewhat envious. To say the least.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-10-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
The fact that you have sailed with friends in Auckland means you have almost certainly sailed the Hauraki Gulf.

Unfortunately this may start sounding like I'm bragging but really, I'm not. We're just blessed with where we live. At this time and probably for the next 18 months, we'll stay living where we are now which is in the Gulf, here:

This is Waiheke Island off Auckland. The circle to the right is our house (approx) and the one to the left is our mooring.

This is our present sailing area which you have probably sailed and it is also a premium cruising ground. We have about 50 safe anchorages within 50 miles of our home. The arrow is our home.

So you're absolutely welcome to come and visit and you can sail in the Gulf with us or we can meet up with your friends in a local anchorage somewhere, drink some beer, share some stories. Just let me know when you're next headed this way.

But unfortunately we won't be moving the boat north to BOI for at least a year yet. Above invite extends to then if it fits with your timing.
Thanks, Andre.

My friends are all members of the CYANZ and (mostly) sail out of RNZYS and/or the Viaduct. Having sailed around the Waitemata enough to know all the landmarks, I, personally, don't think you're bragging. I reckon Waiheke would be a wonderful place to live so going north to the BOI must be even better!!

My favourite sailing around your area is a lap of Motuihe with a stop-over in Issy Bay for lunch (or a bit longer) - just because it's a stunning place to be.

I can safely say we have nothing like it down here.

Last edited by Classic30; 08-10-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post

I can safely say we have nothing like it down here.
The island behind the other boat is Browns Island - it is small and not anchorage friendly. But that's my backyard.

My sister lives in Melbourne but we're very infrequent visitors so I know little of Port Philip other than it's a substantial piece of water. Do you ever venture "outside" and sail French Island? I believe the current in the entrance to Port P is legendary.

Motohui and Izzy are nice spots but they're just 3 miles from our present anchorage so we tend not to spend much time there anymore. Being on the island gives us the advantage of being in the thick of it so to speak and not having to sail the 12 miles from the city to get here opens the door to a wide array of anchorages. This is where we commonly head for a day-sail with lunch on anchor (Chamberlains Bay is our favourite):

Like I said- 50 anchorgaes within 50 miles of us. Known as the "bottom end" of Waiheke this is about a 2 hour sail from home and another 2 for the shortest sail back. Or we can return by going all the way around the island - that's a reasonably long sail.

But I may retract my invitation - you classic and heritage boat owners maintain your boats way to well for me to let you onto my boat

Just kidding - you're welcome any time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-11-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The island behind the other boat is Browns Island - it is small and not anchorage friendly. But that's my backyard.
..and a nice backyard indeed!

The "other boat" is, of course, WAITANGI - but I'm sure you knew that already.

Quote:
My sister lives in Melbourne but we're very infrequent visitors so I know little of Port Philip other than it's a substantial piece of water. Do you ever venture "outside" and sail French Island? I believe the current in the entrance to Port P is legendary.
You believe right... and nope, I've not endeavoured to venture "outside" yet - mainly because it's an 8-hour sail just to get down there hence heading around the corner and back needs a few days spare for me plus crew... but I have sailed Westernport (French Island) quite a bit in the Hartley.

Quote:
Like I said- 50 anchorgaes within 50 miles of us. Known as the "bottom end" of Waiheke this is about a 2 hour sail from home and another 2 for the shortest sail back. Or we can return by going all the way around the island - that's a reasonably long sail.
I'm jealous already.. and you'll have many, many more to choose from once you move north.

Quote:
But I may retract my invitation - you classic and heritage boat owners maintain your boats way to well for me to let you onto my boat

Just kidding - you're welcome any time.
Hah! My boat isn't maintained to anything close to the standard of floating furniture the guys have over there. They have a "secret weapon" called Uroxsys that isn't available over here (at least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

..but let me know next time you're over this way and I'll take you out on Port Phillip - weather permitting..

Last edited by Classic30; 08-11-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
..but let me know next time you're over this way and I'll take you out on Port Phillip - weather permitting..
Thanks very much for the invite but if you're planning on waiting for me, find a comfy place to sit. My sister has been waiting for a visit for 13 years and still nothing promising to report.

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-12-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Thanks very much for the invite but if you're planning on waiting for me, find a comfy place to sit. My sister has been waiting for a visit for 13 years and still nothing promising to report.
In that case.. I better come see you then.

I'm due to get over there again sometime soon - just not sure exactly when...