Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Our new place

For a number of years as our ages head north, we have been looking for a property that would suit our life-long sailing lifestyle - a place to grow old and still enjoy our sailing passion.

My wife is a real estate groupie and scours the listings every day as they come up and after looking at a million possibilities she found the place we have been searching for. It looks like this:

So we bought it and maybe you can see the text in the little boxes that says "This our house" and "This is our mooring". This is the view from our lounge:

Our mooring is the boat straight up from the camper van on the shore. How cool is that??

This is the area, commonly known as "The Bay of Islands" in New Zealand which is not only premium local cruising ground but also the most common springboard into the Pacific.

Just had to share this with someone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Our new place

man! congrats!
dreams need to be fulfilled...it does wonders for the soul

my sister cruised all the bay of islands a decade or so ago and said they were some of the most beatiful cruising grounds in the world

you are trully blessed

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-07-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

How many souls did you have to collect before you could afford that?

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 08-07-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
This is the area, commonly known as "The Bay of Islands" in New Zealand which is not only premium local cruising ground but also the most common springboard into the Pacific.

Just had to share this with someone.
Looks awesome, Andre!! Well done!

I hope you don't mind if we come visit you at some stage in the near future. We visit Auckland fairly regularly (once a year-ish) to go sailing with friends and in our time off have done Wellington, Rotorua, Hobbiton, the whole Coromandel Peninsular (in one day) and Devonport (another day - too many bookshops!) and Piha of course. Russell/BOI is the only place still on the bucket list..
Old 08-08-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

You are living right my friend!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-08-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the good wishes guys - confirms I'm not silly pinching myself. I thought I may be over-reacting -it still feels too good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
I hope you don't mind if we come visit you at some stage in the near future. We visit Auckland fairly regularly (once a year-ish) to go sailing with friends and in our time off have done Wellington, Rotorua, Hobbiton, the whole Coromandel Peninsular (in one day) and Devonport (another day - too many bookshops!) and Piha of course. Russell/BOI is the only place still on the bucket list..
The fact that you have sailed with friends in Auckland means you have almost certainly sailed the Hauraki Gulf.

Unfortunately this may start sounding like I'm bragging but really, I'm not. We're just blessed with where we live. At this time and probably for the next 18 months, we'll stay living where we are now which is in the Gulf, here:

This is Waiheke Island off Auckland. The circle to the right is our house (approx) and the one to the left is our mooring.

This is our present sailing area which you have probably sailed and it is also a premium cruising ground. We have about 50 safe anchorages within 50 miles of our home. The arrow is our home.

So you're absolutely welcome to come and visit and you can sail in the Gulf with us or we can meet up with your friends in a local anchorage somewhere, drink some beer, share some stories. Just let me know when you're next headed this way.

But unfortunately we won't be moving the boat north to BOI for at least a year yet. Above invite extends to then if it fits with your timing.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-08-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Well done Andre!
Old 08-08-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! Looks wonderful.
Old 08-08-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Very Nice indeed!
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 08-08-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Awesome photos, awesome location. Glad you made those dreams come true.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.