Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Re: Headed for LI Sound and Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I must say our friend with his Hunter 38 was not happy. His boat sailed at anchor all over the place and he didn't prepare for the current . We on the other hand had a Kellet down the rode and were fine. His squat ass platforms was getting slapped head on by the waves and contributed to his unease.
Chef,
Has your Hunter friend tried an anchor riding sail? My boat loves to sail at anchor so I purchased the Findelta anchor sail from Banner Bay Marine. Easy to rig, and as soon as it's rigged, she quiets right down and is completely docile.

Have a great trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Dave,

Dumb question on the Cape May canal. Is the swing bridge generally open? Looking at next summer's trip already!
Have fun!
Old 08-15-2014

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road

Good to hear that youve gotten off with a great start! I just finally got my own boat finnished, bottom painted and zincs installed yesterday and dropped in the water. Took her out for her first sail since all the work I did on her past 2 years and she performed gresat and was so comfortable with all her new amenities!! Please stay in touch I would love to meet up with you in Mattituck and or Greenport by boat or by foot...I have my shop in Southold and so am a short distance from both. I may even leave for a short vacation myself if I can finnish a few jobs and clear some time. For now, continued fair winds to you!
Old 08-15-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Mattituck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

Just a little note that mattituck was dredged this year to 10' at MLW. So now almost anyone can get in or out at any time.

Barry
That's good info. I have always avoided Mattituck with the sailboat, remembering how shallow it used to be. It used to be iffy with a 3' draft. Mattituck is the only possible bail out point in long stretch to Orient so having it as an option is good news.
Old 08-15-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
Chef,
Has your Hunter friend tried an anchor riding sail? My boat loves to sail at anchor so I purchased the Findelta anchor sail from Banner Bay Marine. Easy to rig, and as soon as it's rigged, she quiets right down and is completely docile.

Have a great trip!
It wasnt so much the need of a riding sail, they are great. He was anchored in a 3 Knott current which took precedence over the 20 Knott wind and chop. The current force his stern to take the waved head on. Hunters have wide asses and big swim platforms. He had s large profile facing the wind causing him to swing wildly

Riding sail woulnt help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Dave,

Dumb question on the Cape May canal. Is the swing bridge generally open? Looking at next summer's trip already!
Have fun!
Yes always open though there was and idiot fishing I'm a pontoon boat I'm front of it today forcing me to disturb the seagulls and lay on the can of air horn

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-15-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
It wasnt so much the need of a riding sail, they are great. He was anchored in a 3 Knott current which took precedence over the 20 Knott wind and chop. The current force his stern to take the waved head on. Hunters have wide asses and big swim platforms. He had s large profile facing the wind causing him to swing wildly

Riding sail woulnt help.
Ah, makes sense. I have never tried using a kellet and have heard mixed views on their usefulness. What's your strategy in deploying a kellet (as it seems to have worked well for you.)

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 08-16-2014

Left Cape May at 0400 for the trip up to Barnegat. Nice S breeze at 12 knots pushing us along at 5+.beautiful sunrise. Saw our first schoool of dolphins a few minuttes ago and the sw with us for 10 minutes. Trailing a fishing line maybe catch mahi if llucky. Only happened once.
Chip, are you out this weekend at Meyers Hole in BB. If so wed love to raft up with you and Jen. We bought some outstanding tuna and sword in Cape May, though the Tina may be sushi for lunch.
brokesailor likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-16-2014

mysticsailor is on a distinguished road

We anchored at Atlantic Highlands in June on the way to Connecticut. It was a nice anchorage behind the breakwater.
Old 08-16-2014

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Good to hear you had a great sail up to Barnegat.
Just back from Fishers Island myself, thought it might be of interest, in West harbor
most anchor NW of green can # 7 but can also anchor in closer south and a little west of
green can # 7 with good holding in 10-14 ft of water.
Also just 6 miles away is Napatree/Watch Hill...the approach thru the channel is worth it,
anchor on the bay side short walk over the dunes and swim in the ocean.
Watch Hills Olympic Tea Room good seafood, but also must try new twist on fried
zucchini...very different and good!
If your stopping at Old Saybrooke well worth while to go up river 6 miles to
Essex and/or continue on to Hamburg cove, crowded but worth a look and no more than another mile or two past the rock faced hills on the east shore.
Hugo