Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Headed for LI Sound and Beyond

Vacation is finally in sight. We are leaving Thursday for a 21 day trip to one of our favorite sailing areas. Today and tomorrow is final provisioning, but it's not like we are headed to a dessert area without stores or restaurants. Thursday we begin by sailing up the Chesapeake, MOTORING through the C&D Canal and anchoring at Reedy Point on the Delaware River about 58 miles. We wait there anchored for the Express train ( current) to take us on the torturous green fly laden boring motor down the Delaware River. The current sets up perfect for us as a 5 am anchor raising gets us into Cape May by 2-3 PM. We luckily can get through the Cape May Canal ( 55 ht bridge) by 2 ft saving us 2 hours.

This part of the trip we will be accompanied by friends from our yacht club who are staying in Cape May for 1 week. They have to go around the point though so we will meet the at Utches Marina our old friends for 20 some years. Great place to stay. Close to everything. Good restaurant Lazy Bones across the street which has some of the best Jamaican Black Bean soup I have ever had. From there to the fresh fish market at the Lobster House to find seafood for the grill the next two nights which are at anchor. Since Cape May host a large offshore fishing fleet there is always a great supply of good fresh fish including Mahi, a Tuna, and Grouper my favorites. There we need to rest up as we have a long day up the coast of my old stopping grounds of NJ.

Destination is Barnegat Light. An inlet not for the faint of heart or the novice. I lived in Ocean City N J for 20 years and understand this inlet, and will measure the factors on the way up the coast to decide whether to bail out at Atlantic City or pass Barnegat and go straight to Sandy Hook. Once you get to know this inlet and the factors which make it too dangerous to go in you can make a prudent decision. On good days this is very begnign and doesn't portray to be a trecherous inlet, but I have seen it when it swallows up boats and the rollers across it deposits them on the Rock jetties or the sand shallows aground in the inlet entrance. A couple boats are lost here every year. By people who don't read the signs and try to chance it. Lots of accidents happen when transitioning from deeper ocean safety to try and run in shallow inlets where conditions are exaggerated many times. This leg is 72 miles. The reward....one of the best scenic anchorages behind a lighthouse with a cool ocean breeze.

The following day is a jaunt up to Atlantic Highlands to await the second expresss which us the incoming current to sweep us past Manhattan through Hell Gate to the Long Island Sound. We haven't been to AH since Sandy came through and are anxious to see how it has recovered. We have lots of friends in the area. Tempest who we hope to see going up or back is his stomping grounds. Last time up we were anchored next to him and didn't even know it. This leg is a quiet 55 miles. From the anchorage behind the breakwater you can see under the Verrazano Narrows and Manhattan.

The next day is a ride of fascination past the Statue of Liberty up past Wall Street, the United Nations, under the famous 7 bridges to the Sound and Port Washington, our first time there.

Many ask us why we don't just do the straight 36 hours straight to Block Island a Route. We have but we enjoy the towns and stop overs along the way to much and since our first time up on thus adventure prefer to enjoy each individual place and not get licked into having to get to a particular city/ destination once up there. We do have certain places we'd like to go yo, but never are disappointed if gt weather intervenes or we get somewhere, really like it and stay on for a few. After all it's vacation.

This time up we are hoping to stop on the way up in Milford first time there fir a few days, Fishers Island, Block, Newport for a few days, Greenport or Oriental, Old Saybrooke and Northport. Leaving a few days in Cape May on the way back. That's in the perfect scenario, but well play it by ear.

Our friends and club mates T37chef took a trip up this year for the first time offshore and they loved the experience and hopefully one year we will travel together . I know they are going back, by his enthusiasm and his recounting his trip. And his daughters and wife loved it.

We'd love to meet up with any SN up there as we have in the past so if you are close by to where we are give us a shout. You could track our AIS signature on Marine Traffic or Beacon . Our. Signature is Haleakula.

My wife and I look forward every year go this . Our 5 year is always a pilgrimage to Haleakla on Maui where we got married.

Hope to see some of you on the Sound

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2014

cranki is on a distinguished road
Re: Headed for LI Sound and Beyond

I always like to put in a plug for Watch Hill, RI. I much prefer it over Fisher's Island and it is worth the 2 mile channel. I hope this beautiful weather we have been experiencing up here holds out for you.
Old 08-09-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Dave, sounds awesome! Fair winds!
Joel
Old 08-09-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

That's a good outlook on Barnegat Inlet. The anchorage up behind, south of the CG station in front of the commercial dock has great protection. Staying inside the little red buoy right in front of the CG station is the only difficult/narrow spot. As long as there is not a big break and opposing current, the inlet requires constant attention at the wheel but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. A challenge is avoiding all the powerboats that want to zoom by as you're trying to maintain direction in breaking waves and strong current.
Old 08-09-2014

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

Chef:

You probably already know this, but the town of Port Washington maintains about 20 moorings for transients. I believe they are even free for the first 24 hours on weekends, and 48 hours during the week (channel 9 on vhf I think). They are a short dinghy ride to the Town Dock, which is walking distance to a number of restaurants. There is also a new dinghy dock that is opposite Stop and Shop and West Marine if you need provisions. Just go past the Town Dock and follow the channel to port leaving the marina on your port side and you will see it past the rock formation with the American flag flying on it.

Enjoy!
Old 08-09-2014

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Dave,
Local to Port Washington, happy to lend support and would be great to say hello
when you are in area.
Keep in mind plenty of free moorings for 48 hrs weekdays/24 hrs weekends(yellow lining channel) in Manhasset Bay and plenty room/depth and good holding for anchoring.
Restaurants/provisions all close. Small town dock, north of main dock is across street
from large StopnShop (or just call me) for provisioning, along with more restaurants.
More on local tidbits and some East river/western sound history later.
Hugo
Old 08-09-2014

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Hi Chef,

I'm in Milford. It's a great place to stop. The anchorage near Charles Island is great in the nominal west to south-westerlies that we get for most of the summer. It's crap in wind SE to E, but you can go across the 'gulf' to the beach and anchor there for a while. There is no anchoring in the harbor, too small, but there is an all-transient marina at the head of the harbor. If you stop over mid week there should be plenty of availability. There will be no slips available the weekend of August 16th because of the Oyster Festival and probably not again on Labor Day.

It's a great location at the head of the harbor, plenty of bars/restaurants nearby with a chandlary (Milford Boat Works) within walking distance. I can recommend 7 Seas for great Fish 'n Chips and lobster rolls, Archie Moore's for good wings and sports, and Bistro Basque for wine and tapas. The nearest grocery store is about a mile away, but there are plenty of taxis and it's not a bad walk if it's a nice day. The Yacht club is right at the harbor entrance. They have a few transient slips available. They also have a very nice restaurant as well as a pool with showers, etc.

Send me PM for contact info if you want a ride to the grocery store when you are in town, no trouble at all.

-Argyle
Night_Sailor likes this.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 08-09-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

I am hoping to make a similar trip for the first time next summer. I read T37chefs thread with great interest and expect to learn a lot from this one too. Thanks for posting and have a great time.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 08-09-2014

cthoops is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a great trip, and you'll be starting out in incredible weather. Enjoy!
Old 08-09-2014

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road

Look forward to following you Haleakala on AIS and perhaps we can hook up and of course always willing to lend a hand or info if you make it to my homeport of Greenport. The sailing here is always "da Kine" and perhaps we can swap stories of my former home ,Pukalani, Hi.
Fair winds, Rick

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.