Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006

salty_dog_68 is on a distinguished road
Question ft. myers

i live in clearwater, fl. and have a job opportunity in the ft. myers. can anyone give me any info/opinions on this area. gunkholing, dock space, traffic, schools, housing, etc. i am seriously considering relocating my family but want to get all the info i can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2006

wavinback is on a distinguished road
I got pinned down in Cape Coral last year when Arlene blew through as I was coming back from the Keys. I took a slip at Cape Coral City Marina, which is a layed back place run by a good group of guys. Ft. Myers Beach has a mooring field that is reputed to be one of the best in the state. Ft. Myers has a city marina that I've heard good things about from other cruisers.

The area has excellent sailing, plenty of easy anchorages. A lot of cruisers use it as a jumping off point to the Keys or the east coast (via the Ok. Waterway).

The only drawback is the very intensive development that has occurred there in the past few years. I think the school system is under some pressure and good housing is at a premium (though the same is true in many other parts of the state). Also, there can be hordes of powerboaters in the ICW on some weekends. Coming from Clearwater, you may be used to it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook