SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dousing Sock Hangups

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Having a problem with a dousing sock and my cruising spinnaker. (asymetric) When pulling the contol line to set the the spinnaker the sock jams up about half way. I think it is the smaller (2) control lines inside the sock that are twisting around the sail. Anyone have any tips on using socks with internal control lines. Dousing the sail is super easy. But setting has been the issue.

#2 ·
Do your sock lines go up inside the sock with the sail?

On my ATN ''sock'' the sock line runs through an sleeve in the sock. Not possible to wrap it around the sail.

I try to grab the middle of the foot of the sail and pull it down while hoisting the first few feet of sock. (sock & sail already hoisted to masthead). My problem is usually the sail bunching up in the sock. Be sure to pull both the downhaul and uphaul side of the sock line tight before hoisting the sock. I have also had better luck running the sock line through a snatch block on the foredeck. That way you don''t hang on the line while pulling the sock down, which can be an unstable position to be in on the foredeck.

Good luck!

--Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.