Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Re: CS 36 Merlin

I think 10 -11 kts is a little light to be trying to get inside of 100 degrees. While we can sail at that wind speed our cs doesn't come alive til we get a solid 12. We have a wing keel and can easily get 90 degrees above 12 w/o current. Our 40 really likes to be sailed flat. You may be over trimming and stalling the sails.
Jim
Old 08-13-2014

lee1024 is on a distinguished road

Thats what I'm wondering - so I'll try sailing a little looser and see what happens. My old CS27 would sail at 90 degrees in anything over 5 knots, especially when flat, but this is a different beastie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

My previous 36t, very different from the Merlin, would track higher on the gps when we cracked off a bit.
Jim
Old 08-13-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I can get into the 40-45 degree true range with my Jeanneau Arcadia. WHile I realize it is a Jeanneau vs a CS. It looks out of the water a hello close to Davids Merlin. We have not had them side by side out of the water, they do look alike, designed by Tony Castro at about the same time. Altho Mine is probably on the more race/cruise end of the spectrum vs the CS in the Cruise/race end of the boat design spectrum. At one time they were literally across from ea other, now he is 30 or so slips closer to land than I am on the same dock.........Not sure how he pulled it off tho, his merlin now looks a lot like a 1d35.....but that is another issue all together.

Have you also made sure the rig is tuned correctly? I got an additional 5-10* and some speed when I went over the rig with a fine tooth comb/tape/loose guage making sure things were aligned.

marty
Old 08-23-2014

lee1024 is on a distinguished road

The rig is set up pretty well, although I think I need to move the mast tip a little further forward as the weather helm can get a bit heavy when the wind pipes up. I'm going to take the furling apart once the season ends to see if I can shorten the headstay a bit - I'm a bit leary of doing that in the water as I am a little fumble fingered and don't want to hear the tap tap plop sound as a vital bit bounces over the side

The boat has rod rigging and the stays are snug on the lee side in a blow (not bar taught). The mast is in line in these conditions and there is a little prebend (a couple of inches). I have measured and centred the mast.

Any other advice would be helpful

Lee
CS36 Merlin Emrys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

For those with CS Merlins, have a peak, and those wanting to see how bad/good David and his son are doing, click the link.....

Watch David and Mark attempt another successful 100 Mile Northern Century race LIVE!!!!

Watch the vessel Kyrie here: Northern Century 2014 - Race Tracker by Swiftsure

Race starts today at 7:30PM PST.. we hope to finish by Sunday morning

Not sure which furler you have, but many can come off with literally 2 bolts being removed. Then working with the forestay is easy. With this in mind, to adjust your forestay forward, if you do not have a turn buckle, but pins as I do, you will have to use both a jib and main halyard to tie off the mast for and aft, loosen the side stays a LOT to pull the mast forward some. A couple of people to help is handy to have. Otherwise with some thought it is pretty easy. This is another thing that helped my boat in handling etc too.

Marty

Tags
canadian sailcraft , cs 36 , merlin

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.