Jeanneau, the worst boat for the money? - SailNet Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 Old 08-11-2014 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Jeanneau, the worst boat for the money?

Jeanneau sailboats for sale by owner.

Just happened to be browsing here the other day, and noticed you could get a 51' Jeanneau for less then $100,000. WOAH.

Compared to any other boat claiming to be a blue water boat of the same age,
Tayana sailboats for sale by owner.
$100,000K will only get you a 42' Tayana, that is 8 years older.
For a boat in the same range and age your looking at $300,000.
Am I missing something or are these Jeanneau boats aging like an open bottle of wine?

Looks like you can score a 52' Tayana for $200,000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 08-11-2014

re: Jeanneau, the worst boat for the money?

Saw the two at $150K+, but not the one at $100K. What exactly is your question? Tayana's and Jeanneau are much different makers, especially 20+ years ago.

Many of the French boats of that era, and this era for that matter, were made for the charter trade. The boat in Mexico with 4 cabins and 4 heads screams charter to me. So, charter it for 5-10 years+, then put it to other use for 10+ years, and the price may be right. Not many Tayana's in the charter trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomandchris For This Useful Post:
copacabana (08-11-2014)
post #3 of 94 Old 08-11-2014 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Question is, should a person looking for a yacht for themselves, be looking at a boat like this.
Your right, I do not know of any tayanas in charter.
That in itself may be enough reason to not buy a new one for yourself.
Who is going to buy your well loved boat that is 20 years old, when there are ex charter boats for half price?

post #4 of 94 Old 08-11-2014

I don't see a Jeanneau 51 for 100k, although there is one in Mexico for 160k . I also see a Tayana 54 around the same age for $200k...

When you see an unusually cheap boat you have to look at the details. Where is the boat? What condition is it in? How desperate is the seller? I don't think you can judge a manufacturer's entire product line based on the asking price of a couple of 20 year old models. A lot can happen to a boat in 20 years!

You also have to look at the original purchase prices of the boats you are comparing. Does a new Tayana go for the same price as a new Jeanneau?

1979 Santana 30 Tall Rig
Hull#101
post #5 of 94 Old 08-11-2014

The 20 year old well loved Jeanneau from today is a lot different than the 20 year old Jeanneau that was in charter. Hours on engine (s), wear and tear a lot different than a personal craft whether live aboard or not, etc. makes the difference.

There are many people that buy boats out of charter after 5 years, refit them, and they are fine. Hopefully a buyer of this type of boat is smart enough to do their due diligence. They will definetely find lots of things to consider.

A beautiful new Jeanneau 54 DS is a lot different animal than a Tayana of any vintage. Space is amazing. Different strokes for different folks.
Minnewaska likes this.
post #6 of 94 Old 08-11-2014

UP,

I am not sure precisely what you are trying to say but you are comparing Tayanas which are generally very well built, and equipped, and which generally are truely capable long distance cruisers to Jenneaus which are comparatively lightly constructed coastal cruisers that are aimed at the value oriented marketplace.

For many people, who are mostly doing light coastal cruising, value oriented boats like Jenneaus, Hunters, Beneteaus, and Catalinas work just fine.

But, as TomandChris pointed out, there is very good chance that the bargain-priced Jeanneaus were in the charter trade, which normally implies under equipped and beat to death. Having ridden shotgun through a few charterboat rehabs, I would have to say that the Tayanas at twice the initial price are probably way more than twice the boat for less money invested by the time you have put the Jenneau into an equal condition. At that point you are stuck with a Jenneau that has way to much invested in it to ever recoup a reasonable % of the expenditures because the value of the Jenneaus are limited by what they are.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-11-2014 at 01:45 PM.
post #7 of 94 Old 08-11-2014 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Your very correct jeff, but many do a circumnavigation on a Jeanneau.
Tayana is one example, based on jeaneau calling themselves a true blue water boat.
Not sure if a catalina was ever sold as such? I would use the jeanneau along the coast, but for a transpac i would not.

post #8 of 94 Old 08-11-2014 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post

A beautiful new Jeanneau 54 DS is a lot different animal than a Tayana of any vintage. Space is amazing. Different strokes for different folks.
very true, they do a nice open look with huge flat open cockpits. great for days at the dock, not so much for force 10 seas. I like my twin forward bulkheads, rudder post isolated from the rest of the boat, aft bulkhead, and well attached keel, and rudder. I will take the smaller looking interior, with tons of storage and large tanks to a dock queen, but hey. everyone likes something different. Its not just tayanas, I enjoy a well built boat, with a lot of woodwork down below, and above.

post #9 of 94 Old 08-11-2014 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

As to the Jeanneau 51 for 100k, I always assume 2/3 asking price is the real price that an owner will take for a boat. Thou I typically offered 1/3 asking, or less, when I was buying mine.

post #10 of 94 Old 08-11-2014

Re: Jeanneau, the worst bost for the money?

So, bottom line, this thread was your way of saying that your Tayana brand is so much better? Tayana is a great boat as designed, and if kept to standards, it continues to be a great boat.There are also crappy Tayana's out there waiting for someone to buy them...just not as many.

I know a couple that is out there now with a Jeanneau 54. I don't think that they are stupied enough, with all the equipment they have on board, to get into force 10, but force 8 certainly and the boat has come through just fine.

I know from previous threads on this and other boards that you KNOW that your boat will handle 30' breaking seas. I also know that you have turned back because of 8' breaking waves being over your crews limit. I give you credit for your dream, and the work you are attempting to upgrade your boat. However, a year ago you were planning your 6 day trip from NY to south Florida and you are now where? St. Augustine? How much of that did you actually sail?
Jaramaz likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomandchris For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (08-18-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.