SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Gulfstar 44

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FirstLightVeroBeach 
#1 ·
My wife and I have purchased a Gulfstar 44 with a ketch-cutter rig. In a previous post, I asked for any information on this model. However, if anyone has any information on the Gulfstar 44, sloop or ketch, in the way of owner's manuals, systems manuals, etc., that you would be willing to share, we would really like to hear from you. Our boat is relatively sparse in the printed information/manuals department. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
gulfstar 44

hello all,

i am looking at a 1980 gulfstar 44 for purchase. after a two hour self inspection i found a few concerns i'd like to ask about.

the deck was "thumpy" at one of the rear chainplate piercings off the lower spreader. it was not a large area, perhaps 16" square. i suspect that it would be the same sort of repair as most boats with a balsa cored deck. i was unable to get to the chainplates and to find how they are fastened and how dependent they are upon the deck.

in the lazerette, above the skeg (i think) is a steel plate, just forward of the rudder post. it has several not too big (i remember either 3/8 or 7/16s likely)
it appears to be a backing plate of some sort, fairly substantial. it was very rusty, flakey, swollen etc.

my questions are these: what is that plate? how is the skeg attached? integral to the hull? bolted? both?

and, are there any known deficiencies back there?? (or anywhere else for that matter) to be extra cautious with on these boats?

i'm not trying to avoid a survey. i am stupid enough to buy an old boat to live and travel on, but not without a survey. just want to know all i can before making an offer or walking.

otherwise the boat seems solid albeit fairly tired looking.

i hope to get it for in the seventies.

thanks to all,

peter hiltner

#4 ·
i did some work on a gulfstar 36 center cockpit sloop. it needed some real work, most or the decks where soft, but the engine room was huge, i mean like 2 people on both sides of the engine huge. i really liked the lay out, but the boat needed lots of work everywhere. i dont know if it is the maker or the PO but make sure to check it out

#5 ·
RON D do you still have your Gulfstar 44? Ours is a 1981 center cockpit sloop. Have questions on the water tanks. We have a fresh water leak in front of the mast into the bilge directly outside of the forward head. Would appreciate any help you can give me regarding hoses (have one "mystery" hose) and tank(s) layout. Considering ripping up the floor outside the head up to the mast but my wife isn't too happy about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.