Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Renaming a renamed boat

While there is a long tradition of "rituals" in renaming a boat, and the bad luck that goes with it......what about when dealing with a boat that has already been renamed before?

Somewhat tongue in cheek, I wonder if the bad luck cancels out the previous bad luck, or doubles it? Or might it be an expotential increase? And what if the PO didn't properly rename her in the first place?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There is a decent "un-naming ritual" on the 'net, I'll see if I can find a link to it.

As for the PO, what they did or did not do should not follow you AFAIK. Their karma is theirs alone to bear, and yours is yours to bear.

Found it. http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-05-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2006

mikej2 is on a distinguished road
I'm not so sure. There are plenty of tales of "luck" following the object having already dealt with previous possessors. I'm not overly supersticious (not an overly great speller either), but I will give things and thoughts the respect they are due.

If someone is of the concern as to what previous owners did or didn't do, I'm sure the denaming/renaming ceremony could be expanded a bit to cover past transgressions. Sort of like adopting a child or a dog who had bad previous people in their lives, you have to undo some of the damage and ensure it won't be repeated and then allow them time to adapt to and adopt you as well.

Some boats just need to be renamed simply due to a bad choice of previous name and sometimes the simple process of renaming the vessel is enough to negate bad vibes and restore just due respect to said vessel. I've even heard it told at times that should one find a so-named boat to buy it immediately and rename it promptly and thereby gain tenfold good luck.

Or so I've heard.
Old 05-07-2006
CatSailor from Oz

alanl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alanl
You may like to read through the website text I prepared for a client in the boat-letter/signage business. It combines input from many souces as well as original input from me:

We put in this page, knowing that naming a boat can sometimes be more difficult than selecting the boat itself! We see some truly weird names and often, these are clever and funny indicators of the owner’s lifestyle (or lack of it). Don’t believe it? Try some of these real examples:

“Artful Dodger” “Alimony” “The Office” “My Career” “Lookfornuki”
“Wishful Thinking” “Titan Uranus” ”Seacock” “WetWork”

Some believe it's bad luck to re-name a boat. Fortunately, there is a time-honoured method around this. First, obliterate all records of the boat's previous name. Literally throw out all logs, charts, receipts, key chains, life rings, and remove any name lettering from the boat itself. Often, it is cheaper and easier to keep the name and change the boat

You must notify the maritime authorities, insurance company, coastguard etc of the name change or you may never be allowed to come ashore in any port again – ever. The “Flying Dutchman” tale was a true story – in his case, he merely forgot to tell his wife. He actually came out of this well, as those who have been through a divorce will appreciate. Better to keep the boat and lose the spouse than the other way around.

There are many traditions associated with the naming ceremony. These include sailing backwards across the equator as you throw the nameplates and ship’s log overboard. For those not near the equator, perhaps a local ocean may be substituted, but remember, you have been warned. Regardless, you will need lots of (Real) champagne, several friends (if you have any), perhaps your family (optional) and some pets (dogs, cats, birds, horses etc) to create a convivial mood. A small quantity (a glass at most) must be tipped over the side as homage to King Neptune. Then be sure to consume the rest of the Champagne or risk bringing bad luck to the occasion (as distinct from the following day when you will probably crash the boat anyway) Be sure to shout the new boat name VERY LOUDLY and FREQUENTLY to each of the Cardinal points of the compass. This task is best performed in a crowded anchorage at or just before daylight.
Old 05-07-2006

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
If You're Relying on Luck

Maybe you oughtn't go sailing.

Neptune, Poseidon, the Sirens, etc. do not really exist. Just get to the heat gun and get it over with.

Sorry for that burst of rationality. It happens from time to time.
Old 05-07-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Guess I should have said it wasn't a serious question. Though if it incited a bout of rationality, suppose it was worth posting. Have already renamed the boat, sans ceremony, champagne, or revelery.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-08-2006

garyp is on a distinguished road
Sans Champagne?

Now that's bad luck!

When we renamed our boat we begged her permission, added our chosen name to the previous name,then simply shorten her name in general usage.
Hence "Voyager" became "Dragonfly Voyager" but we just call her "Dragonfly". A very faint ghost of the "Voyager" lettering can still be seen on her stern beneath "Dragonfly" if you look closely.

Oh, and plenty of champagne.
Old 05-08-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

I don't drink champagne, hence, the lack of it. If there is any luck to come with the name and the process, I will trust in the reason behind the name to bring it. As the song goes, Aria is the song of the music on the wind, and what could be more fitting to a sailboat?

Music on the Wind - Suzy Boggus

When I Walk Alone And Think Of You
I Hear Music On The Wind
Birds Are Singing Cause They Hear It Too
When There's Music On The Wind

Once There Was A Story I Was Told
Of How Love Sings A Song
If You Hear The Wind And Listen Close
It Goes... ARIA,ARIA

I Can Feel The Rhythm In My Heart
And With Every Beat It Plays A Part
Of The Music On The Wind

How Can You Resist A Moonlit Night
You And I Could Listen Side By Side
To The Music On The Wind

Just Like In The Story I Was Told
Of How Love Sings A Song
If You Hear The Wind And Listen Close
It Goes... ARIA,ARIA....ARIA,

Listen To A Lovers Rhapsody
It's The Music On The Wind
Won't You Come Outside And Dance With Me
To The Music On The Wind
ARIA,ARIA

Done with a Latin/Calypso type beat, the Gods of Sea and Wind will be too busy dancing to notice the name change!

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-16-2008

Aria is on a distinguished road
Mea Culpa

I hope I have not offended you by choosing Aria as my user name. It was the original Aria, (as far as I know) that gave me the sailing bug thirty years ago.

Here is a pic of me at the helm of that magnificent yacht.
Renaming a renamed boat-dennis-helm-aria.jpg
Old 03-16-2008

Catsailor07 is on a distinguished road
Mea Culpa

Truly a magnificent yacht. I have crossed paths with her several times in Georgian Bay and last saw her at Gore Bay probably 20 years ago. A wonderful sight under full sail and I think I have a picture or two buried in the archives somewhere.

John