Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014

donjuanluis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to donjuanluis
Re: Give AIS a rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Huh?

Not according to the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.
Common sense will save your ass instead of IRPC.
Old 08-17-2014

donjuanluis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to donjuanluis

I've been sailing in an extended area where we have more than 200 huge commercial vessels standing by or moving around to get access to port, and sometimes with cruising pleasure transatlantic tenders going around without any attention to sailing vessels or any rule so far. So, the general rule to keep our boat and the crew safe is to avoid situations no matter what the rules give you the right of way. AIS is just and aid for special situation on vessels with limited manouver, against same kind of vessels. And same thing apply to road traffic. COMMON SENSE to keep safety of people.

Last edited by donjuanluis; 08-17-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Very rarely in accidents at sea does the coast guard find fault with just one captain when more than one vessel is involved.
Not very rarely, always. Trust me on this.

https://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/porta...cfkmdfhfdfgn.0

Click the pdf link on the right hand side

This is the casualty report for the incident on the Mississippi River between the tanker Tintomara and the tow vessel Mel Oliver. The tow vessel turned to port in a head on situation causing a collision, the Mel Oliver would definitely be at fault, right? If you read in the conclusions, they find some fault in the Tintomara even though the tow boat turned to port in a head on situation. AND the find fault in the USCG for not properly monitoring vessels and tow vessels in the river.

Oh these things are never clean, cut and paste, black and white.. Crazy stuff.

Be safe out there, you never know.. When in doubt go the opposite or perpendicular course or stop.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-17-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

we often hove to to stop our progress and potential of speeding a collision many a time....but as you will see down below not always! jajaja

entering panama harbor, san fran...off thailand...many places

basically if you stop, take a breather....put your glasses on, or whatever...even take a piss and think things over its better than assuming stuff is being done on the other parties side to avoid collision

oh btw

I dont like to say stories like this often cause I find its like tattle tailing or whatever you guys say up north call it...

all sailors, club sailor, racers, cruisers arent cut out of the same mountain...

people are different...react differently etc...

on my very very old boat, way back when...before ais, we didnt even have radar or anything just a garmin handlheld for plotting

standing your watch was a big deal...HUGE, always on the lookout.

off the coast of cuba beggining the turn towards florida after a stop in cancun we started to see the big cruise ships...cities at sea type deals...
both the very "experienced" crew I had and his lady friend went round and round in circles cause they could not make out what the cruise ships were doing

I was so exhausted from helming a 12 hour squally watch just before that they decided to stay on deck in the rain helming...

only after waking up did I see the tracks on the laptop and to my amazement this crap happened 6 or 7 times during a 2 hour period or so.

instead of staying on course...being prepared to call up the ships and take a course of action their response was to tack over a gazillion times trying to see which way the cruise and other ships were doing

I told them why didnt you heave to?

and they said oh but then we would not be making progress...and I was like WTF? jajajajajaja

after thinking this over a million times they would of realized that even heaving to at that point they were being sucked into the gulf stream so the no progress deal was non existent.

apples and oranges out there for sure

peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-17-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Yep, being that in the last few moments, both vessels in any situation are to maneuver to avoid collision, regardless of stand-on/off status, leaves doubt as to why it came to that situation in the first place. It really puts the onus on all vessels to give each other plenty of room when at all possible. The video on YouTube that shows the trawler hitting the tall ship is an interesting one. The one showing the racing boat being dismasted has appeared before. Sheer stupidity trying to run across the bow of a tanker. Makes you just scratch your head wondering what they were thinking.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-17-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanluis View Post
Common sense will save your ass instead of IRPC.
Sometimes common sense is not so common.

Two crossing vessels that alter course to pass astern of each other wind up in a head on situation.

Stand on vessels have obligations.

Quote:
Rule 17- Action by Stand-on Vessel Return to the top of the page

(a) (i) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.
(ii) The latter vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her maneuver alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules.

(b) When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision.

(c) A power-driven vessel which takes action in a crossing situation in accordance with Rule 17(a)(ii) to avoid collision with another power-driven vessel shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, not alter course to port for a vessel on her own port side.

(d) This Rule does not relieve the give-way vessel of her obligation to keep out of the way.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-17-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Not very rarely, always. Trust me on this...
Your example seems to suggest "never," not "always." Right? Kinda like mixing port and starboard?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-17-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

oh oh jajaja

man I need to avoid these threads...

oh well

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-17-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Hey - we all know the yacht was the stand on vessel. I am sure the tanker could have turned in time........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tUoUxzt9sI

I have been told by my UK friends that the racing rules specifically state "don't screw with the commercial traffic!" Of course they say it in Brit.
That collision occurred in a TSS. The sailing vessel was not stand on.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-17-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That collision occurred in a TSS. The sailing vessel was not stand on.
For all those who missed it the "stand on vessel" was a joke!

Fair winds and following seas

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog: