Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014

dstoger94 is on a distinguished road
Question Flying Junior Project

Hi all, I recently purchased a used FJ with no paperwork on the boat itself unfortunately. The boat is in sound condition with some spider cracks on the finish of the hull and one patchwork job done on one of the gunwales. My problem right now is that there are parts missing for the rigging that are most likely for a racing set up but I nevertheless want to replace them to have a complete boat. The year of the boat is unknown but i do know that it was once owned or a part of the fleet at the Long Island Sailing Center located at 402 Main Street in Port Washington, which is unfortunately no longer an operated center. SO i'm wondering if anyone has any familiarity with the specs of the FJ over the years as well as any rigging manuals from older models, say from 1980 on. ANY help however would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to some pictures of the FJ i purchased as well as some close up pictures of the hardware. The fourth picture should be of what I think is the missing bail on the boom for the vang. The 5th is of the centerboard that doesn't have lines for lowering or raising it so any help with rigging for that would be great. i'm not sure of what the 4 holes on the deck of the boat are in the 6th, maybe a spinnaker pole that the owner no longer used or had? the 7th is a halyard for the jib sheet i believe. The line that was attached to that was frayed and broke in tying it up. And the final picture is that of the mast receiver, which lets you tinker with the mast position for different set ups, anyone have any advice with that? Let me know if there are any more pictures i can supply that would be beneficial in trying to identify the year! Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gm7ave6oh...dC89w5-VlLWjfa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2014

Re: Flying Junior Project

OH, not sure if this will help identifying the boat but the sail number on the boat was FJ US 1985 i believe.
Old 08-22-2014

sorry for the link not working. try this. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gm7ave6oh...dC89w5-VlLWjfa
Old 08-22-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Most of what you need to know should be in this link:
Rigging Small Sailboats - Title page

You will need to replace the boom bail if you want to use the vang. Vang not absolutely necessary to sail it though.
I might consider using dyneema line for the center board pennant instead of wire rope which was likely done originally.
Is your FJ still on Long Island?
I remember the store in Port Wash. from a while ago.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2014

That's a great article! Perfect for what I'm looking for! I know that the FJ I have is not as fine tuned as new FJ's but I would like to have it be in as top shape as possible. I definitely want to replace the boom bail as that was one of the things I noticed I needed right off the bat. I'm also trying to discern the right running rigging needed for the jib and mainsail. Both lines were badly worn and old and needed to be replaced but I'm unsure of the length and size line for each. I still have te boat on the south shore in Island Park, near long beach. What can you tell me about the place in Port?
Old 08-22-2014
Tartan 27' owner

About all I can tell you about the place in Port Wash. is that I bought a Windsurfer from them back in the 1980's.
The GlenL link I supplied gives you most of the rigging design concepts you will need but some things may (or may not) apply to your FJ.
Your replacement line sizes may be governed by 1 Class rules for the FJ (see the FJ class website about accepted rigging, etc), if you care about racing competitively.
The size of line you choose will be determined by how large a line your deck hardware can accommodate (some cam-cleats work best with 3/8" or 1/4" line for instance).

I'll suggest you clean up any blocks and lube them that are part of your rigging (including the mast head). Figure out if you need to replace any suboptimal hardware before launching.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 08-22-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2014

Thank you Caleb, you're suggestions have all reaffirmed my beliefs about ehat needs to be repaired. What's your take on the year of the boat by way of what you've seen? I've been trying to compare other pictures of FJ's and the year of that fj to mine, nothing though.
Old 08-23-2014

Im curious Caleb, do you still live on LI?
Old 08-23-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

You might find the International FJ Organization of help.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-23-2014
Tartan 27' owner

I grew up near Hempstead Harbor so very familiar with the area. I now live in the city, downtown, but still get out there every so often.
There is a section of this link that deals with the "equipment rules of racing" the FJ:
International Flying Junior Organisation
Also, the IFJO (Int'l Flying J Org) may have a list of boats by hull # and may know the year of your boat by the hull #. This was true for an old Lightning I owned for a few years; the 1 Class Lightning group knew the builder & year of my boat (1967) - I had to call them by phone though to get that info.

I don't think the age of your FJ matters that much as long as the hull is sound and dry. Small bits of hardware (blocks, pulleys, cleats etc.) can be replaced to make your running rigging easier to use. New sails would be nice if the old ones are worn out.

Will you be sailing your FJ on the Great South Bay?

Everybody has one:

Tags
flying junior , help needed , maintenance , repairs , rigging

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.