Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006

JACKTAYLOR is on a distinguished road
Happy to send some photos but how? Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2007

rieastwardho is on a distinguished road
Just bought a sweet eastward ho 24, got a great deal and it is in great shhape, just needs some of the woodwork redone. Anyone out there with this boat, any pictures?

michael
Old 01-21-2008

cvanderson is on a distinguished road
Tom, and the rest,

We have had an EHo 24 (Manitou) for 17 years now, in Minnesota. Nice, comfortable, spacious, and very beutiful. We get lots of compliments on itís looks at docks or on the water, even from large power cruisers.

There was a question about chainplates, which do look small, but here are a few factors in their favor. This is a very wide boat compared to, say, a bluewater boat like a Cape Dory. Wider means less tension when heeled (or rolled). Both have shrouds clear out to the rails, and both are fastened right to the deck. So itís down to deck and backing plate strength. I made larger backing plates, bedded in with thick epoxy, rather than fastening to the hull.

Some modifications over the years: Twin mid-boom mainsheets, bowsprit, propane heater and cooker, regular head, 35 gal. holding tank, 4 batteries, big alternator, 12v refrigerator, large fore and aft ports in the doghouse for inside steering using a remote tillerpilot controller, stereo, video, microwave, experimental lightning gear, inverter. The list goes on. One project this winter is to make a set of doors for the companionway.

The bowsprit project was successful in a few ways Iíd like to mention. It made room for a larger, modern-furling 150% genoa, which in turn added speed and removed nearly all of the weather helm. With the tack further forward, the reduced angle of attack into the wind improved pointing. The bowsprit also looks like it belongs on a classic boat like this.

Lately Iím experimenting with barber hauls for the jibs, rigged inside the shrouds for beating.

I'd show a picture, but the "insert image" icon up there seems to be looking for a web page, which I don't have. I could e-mail an attachment to anyone interested.
Old 01-21-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Post your pics at a site like photobucket and then paste the direct IMG link in your post.
Old 01-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CVanderson—

Read this post to get the most out of sailnet. And please don't revive old dead threads. THe post you're responding to is almost a year old, and the thread older still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-26-2009

tjr818 is on a distinguished road
Eastward Ho

I know this is an old thread, but are there still any Eastward Ho sailors out there?
I am trying to buy one and I need to know as much as I can about them?
I have heard that they are slow, although I'm not in a hurry. I just want to be able to sail upstream sometimes.
Thanks, Tim
Old 09-26-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Years ago, we owned Thumbelina, an Eastward Ho 24, we sailed her all over in all kinds of weather. We were sailing from Union Wharf on Boston Harbor down to Marion - as we were heading out of the Cape Cod Canal, the CG station was flying Gale flags - but we headed out into Buzzard Bay anyway. We took a pounding, but Thumbelina did just fine. Great little boat.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 09-27-2009

voice3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr818 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but are there still any Eastward Ho sailors out there?
I am trying to buy one and I need to know as much as I can about them?
I have heard that they are slow, although I'm not in a hurry. I just want to be able to sail upstream sometimes.
Thanks, Tim
I have an Eastward Ho 31'. I purchased it last year and absolutely love it. I've heard some refer to the Eastward Ho's (24' and 31') as motorsailors, but I don't think this is a good description. It's just a good, solid, full keel sailboat. With my 120% genny I can get up to hull speed in 9-10kt winds with no problem. These boats were built by Clark Ryder (better known for the Southern Cross and Sea Sprite) through contract with the Portsmouth Yacht Company. The 31's have nearly the same specs as the Cape Dory and Pacific Seacraft 31's, but for a lot less money. The 24's are very similar to the 31's, except smaller, of course.

Last edited by voice3; 09-27-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2009

tjr818 is on a distinguished road
EAstward Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanderson View Post
Tom, and the rest,

We have had an EHo 24 (Manitou) for 17 years now, in Minnesota. Nice, comfortable, spacious, and very beutiful. We get lots of compliments on itís looks at docks or on the water, even from large power cruisers.

There was a question about chainplates, which do look small, but here are a few factors in their favor. This is a very wide boat compared to, say, a bluewater boat like a Cape Dory. Wider means less tension when heeled (or rolled). Both have shrouds clear out to the rails, and both are fastened right to the deck. So itís down to deck and backing plate strength. I made larger backing plates, bedded in with thick epoxy, rather than fastening to the hull.

Some modifications over the years: Twin mid-boom mainsheets, bowsprit, propane heater and cooker, regular head, 35 gal. holding tank, 4 batteries, big alternator, 12v refrigerator, large fore and aft ports in the doghouse for inside steering using a remote tillerpilot controller, stereo, video, microwave, experimental lightning gear, inverter. The list goes on. One project this winter is to make a set of doors for the companionway.

The bowsprit project was successful in a few ways Iíd like to mention. It made room for a larger, modern-furling 150% genoa, which in turn added speed and removed nearly all of the weather helm. With the tack further forward, the reduced angle of attack into the wind improved pointing. The bowsprit also looks like it belongs on a classic boat like this.

Lately Iím experimenting with barber hauls for the jibs, rigged inside the shrouds for beating.

I'd show a picture, but the "insert image" icon up there seems to be looking for a web page, which I don't have. I could e-mail an attachment to anyone interested.
Hi, I wanted to make this a PM, but I am too new to the sysstem for that to be allowed.
Hello,
I realize that this is an old thread, but I am considering the purchase of an Eastward Ho and I would like some more information about them. Can you help me?
Any advice, cautions, or pictures would be most appreciated. If you are having trouble posting pictures you can e-mail me at "tjr818@lycos.com".
Thanks, Tim
Old 01-29-2010

2677 is on a distinguished road
Eastward Ho 24

I have a Eastward Ho 24 here on the west coast of Florida. Would it be possible to email and possiblly cal. My email is srqvon@comcast.net
Thanks Norman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanderson View Post
Tom, and the rest,