Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006

ryan411 is on a distinguished road
C&C 27 and bad weather

i have a 1976 C&C Mk 3 and we have been out in 20-25 knt winds with no trouble, my question is what kind of weather would put this boat at it's limit i mean assuming the crew is not doing anything foolish. with proper reefing has anybody been out in anything heavy in the same boat and how did it handle the wind and waves ? thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
You may want to do some searches at the C&C 27 Association Page on their discussion forums. Here's an example of a thread that discusses performance of the boat in varying conditions:

http://www.cc27association.com/f3/to...fid=2&tid=2207

If you check other threads on their forums, you note that some feel the boats hobby horse in heavy waves, whereas others have had better performance.

We own a Mark II, but we haven't had it out in heavy conditions yet. It has crossed the Columbia River bar more than once, and the previous owner thought its performance in a seaway wasn't bad.

Good luck!

Jim H
Old 05-12-2006

ryan411 is on a distinguished road
Thanks there is some great info. on that site. I am are also considering new sails and threads like that are always a big help.
Old 05-12-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
It's more a question of how much bad weather the humans on board can take. The boat may make it through 40 knots and 15' seas (and no doubt some C&C 27's have) with a storm jib or some equally small sail combo, but the crew will get knocked around and will have an uncomfortable time as the boat falls off a wave and crashes into the next one. All your gear below will be tossed around too. You also need plenty of searoom because you won't make much/any upwind progress, you'll likely be reaching or broad reaching in really bad weather.

In general, with a seaworthy boat, "the boat can take it if you can", "the boat's tougher than you are", is what I heard growing up. Many of the Coast Guard helo rescues are of exhausted, sick, beat-up sailors from an otherwise okay boat.

I don't have any personal knowledge about the 27, just talking about smallish sailboats in general.
Old 05-12-2006

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Nolatom is correct. A very experienced crew can take a coastal crusier out in a gale and be fine while a novice crew in a seaworthy boat might be too sea sick to function in, say, a small craft warning. We had a 1980 C&C 30 and gradually built up the skill and confidence and familiarity with the boat to take her out in small craft warnings without problems and got caught in a few squalls off Newport and were fine. Regardless of how seaworthy your boat is if you or you crew gets seasick; you not only toast you subject yourself to injury and possible man over board situations. I also find in heavy weather that things tend to break, bind, stick, get tangled, etc. We made it from Newport to Cuttyhunk to Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket back to the Vinyard to Tarpon Cove and back to Narragansett bay without incident and then, when launching the inflatable loss hold of the painter which promptly got tangled in the prop and neede to be cut loose and we had to land the boat under sail in a small craft. Luckily a fisherman picked up our dinghy and it was returned to us. Ryan411 while your boat was designed for coastal crusing if you and your boat is prepared, you should be fine upto a small craft without too much probably. I would suggest you take a reef in the main, put up your smallest jib (or fly a storm jib or put out a small amount of a roller jib) and take her out in windy conditions and see how she does (and see how you do!) Sail her, take down the sails and see how she powers in those conditions, etc. Dont get over your head or take unnecessary risks but a little at a time get the experience and test the limits of your boat. One last story: I was solo in my C&C 30 on my way to Edgartown from Cuttyhunk coming thru Vineyard Sound. I hit West Chop on the Vineyard and got hit by a gusty wind and wind-driven waves and the boat was knocked down and I was nearly tossed overboard. 2 lessons out of this: 1. Always be in a harness and have jacklines deployed before you need them especially if you are solo. 2. Be prepared for the unexpected. I was obviously day-dreaming when i should have been paying attention to the weather; a quick reef in the main and a tug on the jib reefing line would have prevented any crisis. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd also agree with Nolatom. There have been many cases where the crew left the boat, and the boats were later found floating along quite happily without them...