Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008

geobone is on a distinguished road
Reply to Melissa Renee

Melissa,

Please give me a call to clarify this conversation as I have no recollection of discussing or "admitting" that most base owners have issues. If anything there may have been some discussion of a particular case that you may have been involved in as that is how I may have addressed your question. Frankly I do not recall the conversation. I have never mentioned to any of our members, that are of the utmost value to us here at SailTime, that we have base owners that are "Bad base owners". They all provide a valuable service to the marine industry and have a significant hand in helping to provide and create what you aptly call "a great program". There are sporadic cases where a boat has a maintenance issue here and there and in most cases these issues are in some state of maintenance or repair. Lastly, I am the Founder and not the Pres/CEO at this time. Thanks for the comments and I look forward to speaking soon!...or again perhaps?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Geobone...I am going to let your post stand since it is a reply to Melrna's post even though it reads like an advertisment.
Though you have been up front about your connection, the rules here require you to list your name and commercial affiliation in your signature. You may participate fully in the forums and answer questions from members about your company's services but self promotion or starting threads about Sailtime is not permitted. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Old 10-26-2009

luken7 is on a distinguished road
Thinking about Sailtime

After reading much about Sailtime, I like what I've read. But also, it seems there are some horror stories out there, and they are mainly focused around the local base station and it's owner. We live in Raleigh, NC, so we're looking into the Sailtime branch in Southport, NC. Any feedback? I've spoken with him recently and sounds to be a really nice guy and my impression is that he would be good to work with.
Old 10-27-2009

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road
There is also the freedom boat club. 5k to join then 129/month. They supposedly offer unlimited usage of the boats. They seem mostly geared toward power boats with fewer sailboats available at most locations, but this could be an advantage if no one is booking the sailboats.

Freedom Boat Club - 56 Boat Clubs Nationwide - FreedomBoatClub.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2009

jbarros is on a distinguished road
While I can only speak to pre-sales, and not to using the program (as it was a little rich for my blood, and I'm currently happy crewing on other peoples boats, and occasionally renting something small for daysails) I did spend some time going back and forth with Chris from the Channel Islands, California office, and he was professional, courteous, and informative, even after it became apparent that I wasn't in their target audience.

I'm not sure how relevant this may be to actually dealing with them as a client, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

-- James
Old 10-27-2009

Selkie60 is on a distinguished road
"Fractional leasing" is perhaps a more accurate description of Sailtime (and their competitors) than "fractional ownership".
Old 12-19-2009

sailtimeci is on a distinguished road
Smile fractional sailing

I like to think - fractional sailing - is a verb not a noun. its a doing thing not an owning thing. The program is not for everyone but i think it solves the challenges many sailors face. Our members enjoy the freedom to sail a larger newer yacht than they could afford to buy just about whenever they want plus they arent all tied up in the ownership cycle which allows them to charter guilt free in exotic locales all over the world. So, at my base at least, I find two types of people join.

Short timers - those looking to gain experience and knowledge before making the leap into ownership

Long timers - those whom the program fits perfectly. Not into ownership. More into the experience than the accumulation of things and desirous of saving $ from not owning so that one can travel and sail all around the world.
Old 12-24-2009

duncanm is on a distinguished road
I run an online based sailing club and we charter a boat or two for a weekend every month. I looked at Sailtime, read through the info, met the UK MD and pumped all the numbers into excel.

My findings were that if you are retired or are able to sail during the week then you could get value. If you however you are limited to weekend trips which we are then chartering or buying is much cheaper and more flexible. The other thing that turned me off was not being able to go cross channel without a yachtmaster on board.

We've looked at purchasing a boat and renting it back to the club but until we have the finances to pay a deposit that's pretty pointless.

I've focussed on building good relationships with the charter companies. Any other ideas welcomed.
Old 10-27-2010

hackandhue is on a distinguished road
i didnt become a fractional owner but i used sailtime NYC to take out the hunter 33 a few times. it was a good experience, while not cheap ~$100/hr minimum i have no other liabilities. if you arent going to use it a lot why not just show up, pay a few dollars and when the sail is done you have no more responsibilities?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2010

dwilbar is on a distinguished road
SAilTime is not a bareboat charter company

[edit]

Commercial post, not permitted per user agreement.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-27-2010 at 09:31 AM.