Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
When Do You Reef?

Would be interested to know at what wind speed do you reef your main and jib? Please provide boat type and length.

For myself I normally put in a reef at 20 knots as the wind will be gusting to 25 knots and I sail somewhat conservatively. Boat S&S 34.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: When Do You Reef?

Cape Dory 330 likes to reef @ 15 2nd at 22 or so. It can handle more but sails best when reefed early.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Jim_W is on a distinguished road

I reef about 20 also depends a little on what point of sail but usually 18 to 20 kn. i usually reel in the genoa first and then the main if i need less sail. I am in a C & C 25 MK1 sometimes I reef earlier if the little woman is getting sprayed (happy wife =happy captain we are usually just sailing around without a destination.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

C&C 35 Mk III
Upwind 18-20 apparent 1 reef. 25 apparent Furl jib to about 100%.

Also depends on sea state, whether racing and who is onboard.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Hallberg-Rassy 40. I reef on the helm, not wind speed. Wind speed varies with aspect angle but the helm angle doesn't.

With a 100% jib on the furler I reef the main every time I get weather helm consistently above 10 degrees. After the third reef in the main I furl the jib entirely and fly my staysail.

With a 135% on the furler I roll up the genoa to about 90% first and then start tucking in the main. Again, the threshold is 10 degrees of weather helm.

When things get really sporty I drop the main entirely and wrap the reefing line tails hard around the sail to reduce windage and sail on the staysail.
Sabreman and RainDog like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I need to reef because of weather helm at around 15 knots with my 100% jib but try to reef well before that. With the 160 Genny it's more like 10 knots. Singlehanded, I need to be very conservative because I don't have everything back to the cockpit. With someone at the helm I would wait a bit longer. The gymnastics needed to get up at the mast and wrap up the sail if the wind is blowing hard is definitely not worth waiting too long.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Upwind at 17 knots if its going higher. or when the AP has more than 10 degrees rudder.
2nd reef at 25.

I don't believe in silly rules like "if you think about reefing you should have". I think I am always looking at the weather and always its in my mind.

Mine is a light boat.
olddog60 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

8.5M (28') S2. Two answers: I reef when logic tells me to, ie. when she is overpowered and I can tell it. I reef when I am worried. 2nd reason applies more often.
I find that if I am worried about lack of control, a few minutes with too little sail won't hurt anything and when I get more confidence I can put up full sail. However, having roller furling jib helps a lot in this regard as if I think it is too much wind or not comfy, I unfurl less jib but full main. If this doesn't help I go to reef. If it seems ok, i go to full jib.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I reef pretty much by feel and experience (Bristol 45.5, about 40,000 lbs but with a generous sail plan). The older I get the earlier I reef, probably because the boat is old too and I can't see any point in putting undue stress on anything. It also depends on the type of sailing. Most of what I do is long distances (a few to many days) and discretion makes sense. I have also noticed that there is little if any difference in speed and the boat just feels more comfortable.

i reef the main (furling so I can control the amount of sail area fairly precisely) first and quite a bit before furling the 135%. This reduces any weather helm and makes life much easier for Morley the Monitor. If Morley is happy, I'm happy.
jimrafford, olddog60 and paikea like this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

In 24 reef main about 15 and douse jib (only have a 135 now) at a out 20 then set my home designed "cutter" jib it uses the topping lift as the halyard its self tacking at about 30 I take the second reef.