Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2006

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice on different sailboats around 30ft.

G'day from OZ.
I am doing my research on boats prior to a purchase in the U.S.A. because the type I feel I need are not available here in Australia or they cost too much. I have heard all the stories about waterline length, what feels good to you etc and now I am down to a few which I will list at the end of this thread. I have tried to ask brokers but they do not reply.

I am after a boat that can be sailed over oceans and be relatively safe to be in.
It should be around 30ft and have a solid keel, internal ballast and protected rudder with a diesel engine.
My thoughts are going toward Columbia MK1 29ft,,Albin Vega,,Triton30 and Triton 27(in a pinch),, Alberg 30,,Bristol30,,and a Douglas 32(this is the largest I would go for). These boats are all in my price range..
Any constructive thoughts on these OR any other that are in the price range would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2006

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
Westsail?

While every example of the Westsail 28's and 32's can surely not be recommended, there are certainly many out there worth considering. A beautiful example of a fine 32 can be seen on the website www.sailkabuki.com, which sold for under 50K. Another, a 28 owned by a friend of mine, was factory finished and recently upgraded with a new Yanmar 27 hp and new fuel tank, and is well equiped and in great shape for about 30K. Windlass, excellent ground tackle, air conditioning, refrigeration, solar panels, new instruments, almost new sails, cutter rigged, new stove, secure propane locker setup, bimini, and on and on.
Old 05-13-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
A couple quick thoughts here. It is funny about perseptions. Here in the States there is a perception that there are better deals on cruising boats in Australia and New Zealand than there are in the States. A few years ago I helped a gentleman who wanted to buy a distance cruiser on a tight budget. He ended up buying neat little custom built cruiser in New Zealand. The funny part was that his perception was that there were far more choices in Oz and NZ than there were in the State. Never having been to Oz or NZ I can't really say whether he was right or not.

With regards to your list of potential choices, I would suggest that you remove the Triton 30 from your list of candidates if you are looking for a traditional long keel cruiser. The Triton 30 was a much later design, an adaptation of the Bayliner Bucaneer 30, which was a pretty poorly built fin keel-spade rudder IOR era cruiser-racer.

I somewhat question the posibility of buying one of these boats and putting her into offshore capable condition. Wwhile most of these boats have been adapted for offshore use and have been sailed successfully offshore, for the most part, the boats on your list began life as racer-coastal cruisers. Most are 35 or 40 years old boats and one that you would find for sale in your price range is likely to be very tired and in need of serious upgrade before going offshore. Even doing your own work, it would be easy to drop $15-20K into bringing one up to condition and equipment level that would make one suitable for "crossing oceans".

In other words, as would be the case with almost any boat of that age, you can expect to have to do a lot of deferred maintenance and upgrades before going offshore. Like any boat from this era, boats of like these are likely to require some combination of:
-New sails designed for offshore use,
-Engine rebuild or replacement,
-New offshore capable deck hardware and ground tackle handling gear,
-Reworked electrical system (These boats were built before tinned wiring and with exceptionally simple systems),
-Windvane and/or electronic autopilot,
-Upgrade or replacement of chainplates, mast step and associated suporting structure, standing and running rigging that are beyond their useful lifespan,
-Replacement or rebuild of worn out or out of date deck, galley, and head hardware,
-Worn out upholstery,
-Non skid in need of renewing,
-Out of date or totally absent offshore style safety gear,
-Electronics that are non operational, or in need of updating,
-Thru hulls and seacocks in need of replacement,
-Blister, fatigue, rudder, rotten bulkheads, failed tabbing, hull deck joint or deck coring problems
-Keel bolt replacement (bolt on keel) or delamination of the hull from the ballast for a glassed in keel.

I also want to strongly support Moe's suggestion regarding the late 1970's era Southern Cross 31. (Newer versions are out of your price range) If you are interested in buying an inexpensive, small, traditional, long keel, offshore capable singlehander, the Southern Cross 31 is about as good as they get. These boats were designed as no gimick offshore capable designs. They came with sensible rigs and good tankage. They have enough displacement to carry the kinds of supplies and gear required for offshore cruising. Although very simply constucted, Ryder did a really nice job building these boats to a higher standard than was the norm. Most had diesels from the factory. Their outboard rudder is very adaptable to a simple home built trim-tab servo type self-steering vane. One shortcoming that I came across with these boats is that they had a fiberglass fuel tank which did not hold up all that well, allowing some diesel seepage over time.

I would also suggest that you add the similar concept Allied Seawind to your list of candidates.

While Westsails would be suitable, it would be very hard to find one anywhere near yoru budget. Then again, if you could......

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 05-15-2006

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
e-mail address

hellooooo! check my e-mail address it should read sonofasailor123@comcast.net
Old 05-20-2006

fd_colorado is on a distinguished road
You may want to pick up a copy of Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere as many of the boats mentioned are in there.
Old 05-20-2006

feta is on a distinguished road
hi mate im also looking to buy a yacht in the states.namely they have motr gear than oz or nz boats.radar seems to be standard.on oz your lucky to get a radio.but od be interested what you decide in.om looking at a boro temptress tomorrow
Old 05-20-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing to note about buying American market boats, compared to European market boats. Many American market boats are wired with tinned electrical wire, as it is required by ABYC codes, many European boats are not...as it isn't required.
Old 05-20-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Pearson Triton 28

Triton 28: Lot has been written on them (google) and lot has been done (sailed) with them. If you spent $20,000 it would likely have new allgrip paint, new diesel, new sails, a trailer, radar, satilite phone, etc etc. and the owner would be apologising about one spot of bird poop on the deck, and oh bye the way, load provisions / check the storm sails / pumps / ground tackle and head for ...???

Two that stand out are:
(1) 'James Baldwin' two circumnavigations and great web site and articles on sailnet.
http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/articles.htm

(2) Total refit in Maine USA that is a worldclass web site documenting every aspect of the job.
http://www.triton381.com/

Two great books for your project are: (check them out on Amazom)
(a) "Twenty small sailboats to take you anywhere" John Vigor
(b) "Used boat Notebook" John Kretschmer

Magazine:
GOOD OLD BOAT, can't say enough good about what they do and how they do it. I'm fed up with boat mags that are trying to get me to buy new yachts ($200K+) and can't usually bother to review/revisit the classics. That's what GOB is all about=> Good.....Old......Sailboats... Revies of the classics by Robert Perry NA.......
Old 06-09-2006

Doornebosch is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Westsail 28

Hello Jim from Brisbane

We bought a Westsail 28 seven years ago, possibly the only one in Australia, now in the Whitsundays. We have spent a small fortune on her to make her ready for anything again and we could give you a lot of advice. Unfortunately we have to sell her, so you can look at her on boatpoint, or yachthub. Probably not in your price range, but her next owner is going to save themselves a lot of money. If we get our asking price we will still loose $35,000. Having said that, if not for ill health, we would never let her go. The Westsail 28 is everything, and more, that you have asked for. If you like, you can call us on 0418732204 if you think we can help you make your decision .
Best of luck
Lorraine & Tony from Shute Harbour
Old 07-08-2006

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Thank-you

Thank-you to all who offered advice to my question.
Thanks to you, I am well on my way to achieving what I set out to do.
I will probably have more questions later and I will post them on Sailnet.
Thanks folks.
Jim.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.