Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road
FYI: GGlass at sea

North Pacific Yachts Runs Tests with Google Glass (VIDEO) | | PassageMaker
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: FYI: GGlass at sea

I was offered a developer version of the glasses like 6 months ago. Just did not see enough benefit to pay for them. Seems they could be tied in very nicely with on board electronics though.
Old 08-28-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I think a smart watch tied into boat instruments looks more useful than Google Glass (and it is probably easier to see in bright sunshine too).
Old 08-28-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

This is where Google Glass can come into its own. Becoming a HUD display for all types of sports.

What they need to sell the concept is to show it on a racing yacht where the helmsman has full charting, wind instruments and overlayed position of the next mark/waypoint etc. maybe even a feed from a bow or masthead camera.

Thats what I want! Like a fighter jet pilots helmet I want the total control right in my face. It doesnt matter if it still needs a wire or two for power.

If Google would stop stuffing around with things that will never be legal, like using it driving, or impossible like walking with only 35 minutes battery time, then there could be a real marketing on useful applications.

Certainly the vital point is it will be great to have. I just dont want to wait another 10 years for it to be good enough and cheap enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I think a smart watch tied into boat instruments looks more useful than Google Glass (and it is probably easier to see in bright sunshine too).
Well I think the watch would work well for repeating wind instruments, but not chart plotter. Seems it could be really good for a whole team, especially if you had a watch like display that was perhaps a bit bigger, along the lines of say 3 inches. You could have scrolling instructions as well. Better than shouting, and would not give away your intentions to the competition. Could be good for a husband/wife team during anchoring.
Old 08-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
This is where Google Glass can come into its own. Becoming a HUD display for all types of sports.

What they need to sell the concept is to show it on a racing yacht where the helmsman has full charting, wind instruments and overlayed position of the next mark/waypoint etc. maybe even a feed from a bow or masthead camera.

Thats what I want! Like a fighter jet pilots helmet I want the total control right in my face. It doesnt matter if it still needs a wire or two for power.

[snip]

It's my guess that the Navy and commercial interests will get the hud helmet first. I can see both Con & Flight Deck Officer wearing them on the bridge of an aircraft carrier. Probably good for Cargomaster on a freighter, too. How long to trickle down to the private sector I don't know, but I'll bet some talented hardware & software hackers could work wonders with a set of VR goggles. If they haven't already. 8-)
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-28-2014

For me the price will have to drop, $1500 for what is an accessory display seems a bit much, especially with the short battery life. I suppose you should be able to hook up a bigger battery via a cable and have it on a belt holster.
Old 08-28-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Oh goody goody goody. Another bit of tech designed to take one's attention away from the real world and immerse us deeper in the virtual one. I can imagine some cretin running down a channel at 20 knots with his attention split between his heads up display, a couple of other gadgets that aren't interfaced into it yet, and a tiny bit of attention on the real world. I'm going to feel so much safer out there on the water, yes I am. Thanks, Google.
JimMcGee and Omatako like this.
Old 08-28-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Mark,

It's already here... Well it's already in pre-sales. AFTERGUARD | Heads Up Display for Sailing
Old 08-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Mark,

It's already here... Well it's already in pre-sales. AFTERGUARD | Heads Up Display for Sailing
Thanks for the heads-up, Greg.

I think I read in Scientific American some years ago that what is available in the marketplace is 5 years behind what the guys in the labs are working on. We are +becoming+ Borg.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

---Locutus of Borg