Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006

Freedom777 is on a distinguished road
Horizon Nemo '39 Info needed

I recently purchased a 1980 Horizon Nemo '39 cutter that (I think) was manufactured in Clearwater, FL in the 80's. I understand there were about 6-12 boats manufactured before the owner went out of business. Does anyone have any information about these boats? I have nothing but a set of specifications and a drawing. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2006
Captain S/V Nereus

Nereus39 is on a distinguished road
Horizon 39

I'm the reasonably happy owner of an Horizon 39 which is currently "in transit" from Manitowoc Wi to the Caribbean via the inland waterways. There are/were about 40 of these vessels here and there produced between 1980 and 1989 when the company went out of business. Based on "the numbers" the Horizon was featured as "one of the best off-shore boats" available for under $100,000 by Cruising World back in 1998. Primarily the Horizon was sold first as a bare hull for fitting out by the owner/yard as a sloop, cutter, or even ketch/yawl.

I understand that the company manuafactured a few boats under the brand name of Nemo. As much as I can tell, each vessel is more or less unique. By today's standards they are heavy and slow but in a full gale with wave crests above the radar mast I've been thoroughly pleased with the boats ability to handle the weather! IMHO, the Horizon can well serve the cruising needs of a cruiser for a couple who doesn't need 3 suites and 2 heads from the ex-charter boats and prefer more room for minor things like extra batter bank, water, fuel, sails, etc. My own cutter version of the craft has a stainless bow sprit for carrying an asymetrical spinnaker well forward of the headsails.
Old 06-12-2006
Captain S/V Nereus

THE COMPANY

Horizon Yacht Company of Largo, Florida, manufactured the Horizon 39 during the 1980's. Barry Scharf owned the company. Barry commissioned yacht designer Burk Borges, who did many Morgan designs, to design the Horizon 39. The company built 30 – 40 boats during the 1980’s, and enjoyed the reputation as a quality cruising boat builder.
Most were sold as kits for “one of a kind” custom rig and interior fitting, but
several boats were completely finished and sold under the name NEMO 39.
The price in 1984 for a finished NEMO 39 boat was $140,000.

Bare hulls with a deck started at around $30,000 with two transom styles: traditional for
ketch and reverse for cutter/sloop plan. The company was expanding to include a 45’ modelin addition to the 39 and 26 when the market for cruising boats collapsed.

The company went out of business in 1988.

HULL AND DECK CONSTRUCTION

Construction of hull was very high quality, using .06” Isothalic gel coats and laminating resin.
The 4 layers of 1.5 oz. mat and 24 oz. Woven roving were laid down longitudinally,
over the full length of the hull, with 12” overlaps at the waterline, garboard area, and keel.
One additional layer was laid down from above the WL to mid-keel and 2 additional layers from
mid keel to the centerline. When the hull was complete, a 4” inward turning hull flange was
laminated to the upper 12” of the hull, doubling the thickness at the sheer. The production
rate was slow, allowing each hull about 3 weeks in the mold. The hull mold was a one piece
lamination, heavily reinforced, and set on rollers.

The deck mold was adapted from Morgan 40 tooling. The deck lamination schedule included .06” ISO gel coat and 1.5 oz. Mat, 2 layers of mat and 24 oz. Woven roving, a 0.5” plywood
core bedded with wet chop over all deck surfaces, including the cabin sides and 1 additional
layer of 1.5 oz. Mat and 24 oz. woven roving.
Most Horizon boats were finished with traditional interiors.

YACHT DESIGN FACTORS

DISP/LENGTH RATIO 331 (>300 = heavy cruiser)
SA/DISP RATIO 16.94 (>20 = “high performance”)
VELOCITY RATIO 1.04 (1 – 1.14 for cruiser)
BALLAST RATIO 0.41 (nominal for centerboard designs)
NOMINAL SPEED 6 - 6.5 Knots
HULL SPEED 7.34 Knots
MAX SPEED 7.78 Knots
COMFORT FACTOR 37.6 (Cruisers range between 30 – 40 )
CAPSIZE RISK 1.64 (SNAME data, from Fastnet race, <2 = good)
ROLL PERIOD 4.3 seconds (CB up)
MOMENT OF INERTIA 800,000
STABILITY INDEX 1.14 (1=stiff, >1.5=tender)
Old 06-14-2006

I really appreciate the information. I thought I had the only one for a while. My wife and I really like the boat - it's stable and definately built well. We had it up to 8kts in a gale and didn't even bury the rail. I'm located in Tarpon Springs at the Achote Harbor marina if you happen to sail by. I would live to see your boat. Mark
Old 06-24-2006

willgray is on a distinguished road
Horizon 39

I too, own a Horizon 39 and have been researching' with little in the way of results, for the past six months.

I started with the HXY prefix on the hull number. The HXY (MIC Manufacturer Identification Code) now belongs to HOLBY MARINE of Bristol, RI. All I could get from the USCG MIC Site was that Holby "has been using this MIC since the late1980's." I contacted Holby (A Mr. Barrett) who had "no idea what I was talking about."

There was an owners group run by a guy named Bob Mahafy in Virginia. I contacted him by e-mail. He informed me that the hulls were made by Columbia!(?) Subsequent contact with him proved fruitless and ended when he allowed as how he sold his Horizon and was no longer associated with the group. My impression was that he no longer wished to be bothered with it.

I tried to get info on Barry Scharf and found no recent listing in Clearwater but found one in Treasure Island. Will wait to see what that turns up.

The hull design looks like a Shannon and while an e-mail to Shannon produced no hard information, there was considerable interest and a promise from Shannon's CEO to pass my request on to one of his employees who might know something about it. That was the end of that.

In Johnsboatstuff.com there is mention of the Horizon in a reprint of a "Cruising World" article which talks about using "fuzzy Logic" in choosing a cruising sailboat. On that list, it shows the Horizon 39 in the "$75,000 to $100,000" list of BEST CRUISERS UNDER $100,000 - right up there with the BCC's, Hans Christian, 38's, Pacific Seacraft 31's, Cape Dory 36's, PC 34's and Morris 28's!!! A nice group to be in.

Bottom line: I guess we have to remember the market turbulence in the 80's for "yachts." Information comes in dribs and drabs. I will continue my search and "thread in" if I come up with anything further.
Old 07-23-2006
Captain S/V Nereus

Market Turbulence for "Yachts"

If I find out more, I too will post. With the price of crude oil, the cost of a hull & deck for a sturdy glass-reinforced plastic boat like the Horizon / Nemo has gotta be going out of sight! The boating industry at the end of this decade may look like the one in the 80's. I'm only glad that sails provide most of the forward motion...
Old 07-26-2006

New engine problem

Hi - Thanks for your responses. A new problem has developed. My 50 HP Perkins has been acting up lately and seems to bog down after 1 hr of use. The temperature guage goes to redline and I don't seem to be making any headway - 4-5 mph. I just had a mechanic look the boat over (sea trial) this afternoon and he said the water intake wasn't blocked and the engine seemed to be running correctly. He suggests taking out and cleaning (or replacing) the heat exchanger. Any idea where to find a replacement unit for my boat? Also, anyone know where to find a mechanic near Tarpon Springs, FL that charges less than $100 per hour. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2006
Captain S/V Nereus

Late Response to engine problem.

Sorry folk, but we've been cruising the Gulf of Alaska while waiting for better conditions on the Gulf Coast of the lower 48.... Had a Whale of a time!!
The slow overheating problem sounds to me like an impeller deficit on your water pump. Basically, you are getting some cooling, but the volume isn't up to spec. and eventually the engine overheats. Pull the pump and take a look. Don't need a mechanic, just a wrench.
Old 09-23-2006

jimstaff is on a distinguished road
Horizon 39

We purchased our Horizon 39 Ketch in St. Petersburg in Winter of 2005 and brought her up to Lake Michigan for some refit - up the eastcoast around Nova Scotia and in thru the St Lawrence. We took her back out this year via the same route and lost the centerboard around sable point Nova Scotia. We have talked to one other Horizon owner on Lake Huron who said he had lost his centerboard also, but he was able to get the mold and make a new one. We of course did not get his contact info, because at the time "we would never lose ours". Anyone else have this happen or have any info on where the mold could be tracked down?
Great vessel, 40 knot winds, full knock down, whales within 20feet and not a bit of problem. Would not trade her for any of the newer "plastic boats"
Jim
Old 07-15-2008
Captain s/v Nomad

Nomad016 is on a distinguished road
I built,own and sail a Horizon 39, hull #16. I think I did run into Jim Staff up in Lake Huron, several years ago. I believe he had purchased the former Panache, out of St. Petersburg, Fla. and was headed home. Sorry you lost your centerboard. To the best of my knowledge, the complete mouldings for the Horizon 39 are owned by Dr. Paul Tilka of Seminole Fla. His last known address is 6166 Seminole Blvd and phone number 727-391-0715. I realize this information is probably of little value at this late date, but perhaps it will help someone else in similar circumstances