Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009

jwbuckner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karocky1 View Post
There are 3 in Racine Wis. Racine Yacht Club Members. 1 is for sale $18,000. I have all original sales materials from dealer including owners manuals, original factory test results and color brochures. There were 300 built by MacGregor between 1979-82.
In my oppinion they were before there time. With some modern sails and very slight rigging adjustments, they can reach 22+knots easily. Hang on!
I added UK Tape Drive Sails. Floats on the top are for the fearful not a stock item. They are trailorable but do not recomend. Mine is fully loaded from the factory. For the money you won't find anything better.
Alot of these boats were flipped in the beginning for lack of knowledge of what a "GIANT" beach cat can do for the times. So there are not many left. You have questions I would love to answer them.
My perticular boat has great history of many victories form Galveston Texas, to Florida and beyond. The original Captain quite a single handed sailor. Now though, day sailing in the Great Lake of Michigan. Yacht Club Members always ask me how long it takes me to sail from port to port. I crossed Lake Michigan in 5 hours.
I did almost flip it in the summer of 2007, but my 18' Hobie Cat experience saved the boat and 8 on board. We were flying a hull from Racine to Kenosha when a gust hit and took her up to the edge. Bailed the Main and turned into the wind, down she came. Crew hanging from the life lines like flags. This boat is a RUSH!
I read your comments and you appear to be very knowledgeable about the MacGregor 36 catamaran. I built a piver 30 ft and sailed it from Panama to Boston and throughout the caribbean, just sailed a 25 ft westerly Savannah to Panama and want to take bird-watchers to offshore island in Panama on a Mac 36, my question is: Should I buy one, in the Keys, and sail it down or truck it down I have done both in the past,but not with a catamaran. I hate that road trip. Capsizing wouldn't be pleasant in mid-ocean either, however I read the manual on righting procedures and it doesn't sound impossible. I'm more comfortable at sea than in the waterway, but don't have the catamaran experience you do, so please give me your best thoughts, I hate to have this published, some novice might do something stupid like take one to sea without experience. thanks John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2009

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
I just love the way these forums work when they work right. I have seen a catamaran moored here for years, basically unused. I didn't know what it was. After Hurricanes Hannah and Ike blew through here in one week last September, it was gone. Along with a whole lot of other boats, I might add. Including one of ours. But anyhow, I have discovered that the owner stuck the boat in a mangrove swamp to protect it from the storms, and they did. Except the rigging let go on the Stbd. side and the mast is now bent at a 90 degree angle. I found out the owners name, and that he would like to sell the boat. He has other cats and never uses it. I kayaked over late one day and snapped a photo, which I put on another thread here this morning. Within an hour I found out that it's one of these here Macgregor 36's, and Googling it up tells me they were last built almost thirty years ago, and were fast as heck.

It's got some scuff marks, but I have been told it's dry inside and the only damage is the standing rigging. I will go climb onto it to check, but assuming that it's okay,
What should I offer the owner? They seem to be around for about $ 17K complete, and of course I have to get the mast fixed on this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might want to go around and price the rig on the Macgregor 36... I'm willing to bet it is almost as much as the price for a complete boat or pretty close. You'd have to get a new mast and new standing rigging at a minimum... considering that on some older boats, over 60% of the value is the mast, boom and standing rigging... I doubt it will be worth buying. That doesn't even address what possible damage to the hulls and bridgedeck could have been caused by the forces that broke the mast...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2009

TomRay is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TomRay
A friend of mine bought a MacGregor 36 back in the early 90's, and I got to sail it a few times. It's fast and fun, like an overgrown Hobie Cat, if there is any wind. It was not fast in light air, but would sail acceptably. I agree with Sailingdog that this particular boat is not worth much, if anything. A few thousand at most, IMO.
Old 04-11-2009

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I have no idea what he's looking for. That the boat has sat here since we got the one/two punch that first week of September says something.

And we never have light air here.

Old 07-04-2009

diegokid is on a distinguished road
36's

Does anyone have any more info on eht Mac 36's in Racine or anywhere else?
Old 07-04-2009

RobertKWFL is on a distinguished road
I just bought a 1981 Mac 36 here in the Florida Keys. I've found some information about them on the web, but I would be interested in making contact with other 36 owners out there.

I have collected links to sites with lots of photos, sailing tips, an old MacGregor sales brochure, a review from Multihulls Mag, the owners manual, etc. Will post them later when the forum allows me to, or message me if interested.
Old 07-05-2009

info

RobertKWFL
I would like to get all the info and pics on this boat I could. I can't send private messages until five posts. Here is number two.
Old 07-05-2009

info

RobertKWFL
I can send an e-mail now so could you send any links/pics to me at:

diegokid@bellsouth.net
Old 07-05-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
As a formerStiletto 27 owner and guest on the SStiletto30, I highley recomend you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes25nor View Post
How's life aboard this boat as a weekend cruiser. I understand the cramp quarters but it's described as having berths, galley and portable heads. I'm interested in cruising LI sound along the CT/RI area. Also has anyone rigged a temp. bimini for shade, if so how does that work for you? Thanks, Bill
PS, I considering purchase.
Visit the owner sites and take one out.

WildJibe.com
Stiletto Catamarans

They tend to hold value better, are made of better materials (Kevlar honeycomb), are drier, easier to trailer, and have better factory support. One of the former owners is still in the business and restores them, in addition to stocking or sourcing ALL parts.

Neither is a cruiser, but either can be. Read my blog for stories of several cruises with my little girl as crew (older posts). I sold my Stiletto a month ago and purchased a larger cruiser ; they are not the same thing, but a day on either is a joy. I will NEVER forget the day spent on the Stiletto. I will always consider it to be the ultimate daysailer.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber