Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010

boughttheticket is on a distinguished road
mac 36 mods

I have modified a mac 36 with a hard deck, wheel steering, raised main sail, and large bimini to make it a great short trip boat and would be glad to share pictures, but cannot do that here (jr. member).
Sleeping has to be on deck, but there is room for two 8x10 screen tents.- the 4 single hull berths are
hot and claustrophobic.
If you would like to see pics please email me at boughttheticket@gmail.com

Jerry Jaksha
San Carlos , Sonora

Last edited by boughttheticket; 05-02-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: pictures don't load, and someone wanted info about my boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2010

beatmongresss is on a distinguished road
Looking to upgrade from my Venture 22' . This looks like a great boat. If anyone still checking in on this thread knows of one for sale could you please send me contact info or email me direct:

z at dolben dot com
Old 10-18-2011

sainteve is on a distinguished road
Macgregor catamaran 36'

I have two mac cat's 36' for sale. Additionally, I am building a 44' version for commercial use/ coast guard certification. Any interest, call me at 305 240-7349. Steve
Old 04-29-2013

Breno1 is on a distinguished road
Re: McGregor 36 Catamaran

Good Morning Everyone,

I am not sure this is the best way to do it, but I found out I cant send private messages yet, so my only option is to post it here and ask for a "General Help"... ( Twoone60 and slim554433 please give a help if you can, thanks)

My name is Breno and I am looking for my first sailboat (to buy it) and found one that could fit my needs and my budget, and that is way I am writing to ask for help.

I found a MacGregor 36 for sale here in Thailand, but since it will be my first boat ever, I am trying to gather as much information and learn more about it before making the decision.

I already spend few days searching the net for photos and info, but was not able to find out much so far, so I was hoping you could give me a hand.

Apparently there are few of you that own one and seem interested in sharing your knowledge/experience here in the forum, so I would like to ask if you could help me with links, general information, opinion, experience or any other advise you can give me. All help is appreciated for sure.

I also saw in the MacGregor 36 thread that couple of you said would post a link with some photos of your boat and others, but I could not open it, so could you send me again please?

My plan is to find an “easy to handle” cat, that I can go “island hopping” and freediving (diving without tanks) for 3 or 4 days each time.

I need to be able to fit 4 people (not looking for any luxury, but minimal comfort to have a good sleep at night), have a place to prepare meals and a head.

What do you think? It is possible to “convert” a MacGregor 36 to be more a small “cruising” cat and not some much a fast-racing boat?

Thanks so much for all your help and hope to hear back from you soon,

Breno
Old 04-29-2013

Re: Macgregor catamaran 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainteve View Post
I have two mac cat's 36' for sale. Additionally, I am building a 44' version for commercial use/ coast guard certification. Any interest, call me at 305 240-7349. Steve
boughttheticket,

Your link is directing to the Apple Clound account but I could not find your pics.. Do you have them posted anywhere else?

Thanks and have a good day!
Old 04-29-2013

Re: Macgregor catamaran 36'

Sorry Everyone for the posting mistake...

I was trying to reply to the message before, from boughttheticket, but it did not work...
Old 05-02-2013

boughttheticket is on a distinguished road

Hi
Take a look at my earlier post. I edited it because the pictures won't post.

Great dive and overall boat. Terrible sleeping in the hulls.
Plan on sleeping on the deck (You should build a 10x12 hard deck behind the mast. Mine adds less than 150#, but is honeycomb sandwich composite.
You need a raised main boom so you can add a large bimini
with walking room under. I added helm steering with vectra line and it handles beautifully.

My porta potty is what it is. Some people have added real heads.
With 2 15hp outboards it motors at 10 knots, and spins on its mast.
With 24' by 10' of potential floor space, many things are possible, but go light or the boat won't do 20kts anymore.

Jerry
Breno1 and jimgo like this.
Old 05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boughttheticket View Post
Hi

Great dive and overall boat. Terrible sleeping in the hulls.
Plan on sleeping on the deck (You should build a 10x12 hard deck behind the mast. Mine adds less than 150#, but is honeycomb sandwich composite.
You need a raised main boom so you can add a large bimini
with walking room under. I added helm steering with vectra line and it handles beautifully.

My porta potty is what it is. Some people have added real heads.
With 2 15hp outboards it motors at 10 knots, and spins on its mast.
With 24' by 10' of potential floor space, many things are possible, but go light or the boat won't do 20kts anymore.

Jerry
Thanks so much for the info Jerry.... I really appreciate... I will send you a PM, just so there is no more "Zombie Thread" complains here...hahaha.., ok?
Old 05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boughttheticket View Post
Hi
Jerry
Sorry, just realized that you cant access your PM over here... I sent you a mail instead... thanks a lot!
Old 08-10-2013

CraigDC is on a distinguished road

Aloha!
I'm looking for a "low-budget" cruising cat that I can take from Hawaii to the South Pacific with 2-3 adults, and island hop along the way. (It would be ultra-light cruising.)

I have considered just about every multi-hull option (tri-marans and other cats) and I keep coming back to the Mac 36, given it's size, accommodations, build materials and price.

I realize the berths are tight, but I have slept in a Cat berth in the tropics and it's not very comfortable (heat-wise), so it seems to me you're better off with an open deck cat where you can sleep on the deck. I would want a light core deck with at least a bimini of some sort that would double as a rain catchment system.

I've been checking out the Iroquois cats, but again, I think for the tropics, you're better off with the open deck Mac 36. Plus the Mac 36 doesn't have any balsa-core decking and with an open deck, it doesn't have the headroom limit in the "bridgedeck cabin".

I've done some research on the Mac 36's and spoken to Todd & Cheryl at BW Yachts, who advise strongly against the idea due to the "performance nature" of the Mac 36.

I have had other people say that the hulls are not thick enough to endure offshore sailing, but she is rated Category B. Apparently there are a number of spots on the hulls that oil can, and one particular person was not comfortable with that.

I understand that the earlier models (single dagger board models) were heavier than the later models. Could this be because they trimmed down the hull thickness to reduce weight? Maybe I would be better off with an older version because it might have thicker hulls?

There's one here in Hawaii that had the rigging fail and the mast bent, so it's currently configured as a power boat. Assuming there was no other damage when the mast came down, maybe this would be a reasonable option, since I could put a more conservative rig on her. I don't need super performance, but wouldn't I be able to put a rig on there that would not make her so "temperamental", but still provide above average performance, including decent performance in light air (read: Doldrums)?

Any feedback/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!

Craig

Last edited by CraigDC; 08-10-2013 at 07:33 PM.