Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006

Chompy is on a distinguished road
Smile [Photo] My first boat!

Finally took possession of her this morning, she's a 1975 Ranger 23 tall rig and she's all mine! I want to thank everyone who gave me advice over in the Buying a Boat forum; I can't wait to clean her up and take her out.

Now for the fun stuff: shopping for gear. Any recommendations for a good handheld VHF? GPS? Anything else I should be considering? I'm particulary interested in advice for cleaning the bottom while she's in the water (freshwater lake). I'm going to haul in a month or two, but in the meantime I'd been thinking of getting a stiff-bristled broom and just scrubbing under there. I'm no diver, but I thought perhaps I could do this with just a snorkel.. but it's ablative paint, will it stand up to that sort of thing? Is there a better way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chompysboat1.jpg (39.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your first boat-- I hope you have a great time with it.

I was re-reading Don Casey's opening chapters of This Old Boat this morning, and he does a great job of describing the first impulses of new owners of older boats (mine's a '73, for example). We all want fun things, like GPS, new sail covers, some teak beer can holders, etc., but we should at least balance those desires with the less-sexy-but-probably-more-important ones.

For example, is the standing rigging perfect, or are some parts "weak links" that could cause a nasty surprise? Are any of the thru-hulls leaking or frozen? Is the rudder loose at all? Any leaks around the ports or companionway? Do you have a storm jib if you needed one? Is the running rigging weak in any areas. And, of course, hows the electrical, water and engine?

On my boat, the first purchase was a new battery. The second was a new temp sender for the engine. The fourth was new mooring lines, and a pump/bottle system for changing the oil. The fourth will be Boat Caulk for rebedding deck hardware, along with some teak plugs so I can remove and rebed hand-rails.

Nothing really fun or sexy yet, but important. Have a great time!

Jim H
Old 05-20-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy
Now for the fun stuff: shopping for gear. Any recommendations for a good handheld VHF? GPS? Anything else I should be considering? I'm particulary interested in advice for cleaning the bottom while she's in the water (freshwater lake). I'm going to haul in a month or two, but in the meantime I'd been thinking of getting a stiff-bristled broom and just scrubbing under there. I'm no diver, but I thought perhaps I could do this with just a snorkel.. but it's ablative paint, will it stand up to that sort of thing? Is there a better way?
Congratulations...

Handheld VHF: What's your budget? I personally like the Standard Horizon HX471SB handheld. It has some nice features like the ability to monitor Aircraft, FM, FRS and GMRS radio frequencies. Works two-way on FRS, VHF, and GMRS modes. Also capable of DSC distress calls if connected to an NMEA GPS.

Handheld GPS: What's your budget again? Two models I like are the Garmin 76C__ series which can take the Garmin BlueChart marine charts, and works for both road and marine navigation. If you want a more advanced unit with a larger screen, the 276C, 378 or 478 units are pretty good, and work for both road and marine. The difference between the three units are what maps are included...the 378 has freshwater maps for the US and the 478 has the coastal US marine maps built-in. The 276C is the older unit and is not compatible with the new G2 Bluechart software, but works with the older Bluechart software.

I personally use the Garmin 76CS and 276C+ units, as well as the HX471SB on my boat.

I'm not sure how badly the bristle brush will affect ablative paints, but if you're going to be hauling in a month's time it might be worth trying...
Old 05-20-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Portable !!

Suggest small handhelds:
(1) gps, maybe wiht the chart plotter fuction. We have both color and BW Garmin GPSMAP 76 and I don't see the need for color but my wife likes it. (she is a 1600Ton Ocean Master currently Captain of a ferry boat) You can take it with you anywhere for practice or to use when on other folks boats. They are fully interfacable and accept external antennas. The Garmin loadable loadable charts are a pain in the *x$@! (mostly the license stuff) but they are more flexible than the cartidges.

(2) vhf, small waterproof that can use alkiline AA cells (same as the GPS).

At some point you might want to have permanant built in units but I'm not sure why. You can build in external antennas for both units and provide a mounting cradle so the serve as built in or portable.

The fact that you can take them home to practice/study and that you can take them with you when you go on someone elses boat who may not be as knowledgeable and prepared as yourself.

When diving I try to use a scrub brush with a handle that has a flat edge that lets me use it for a scraper (occasional barnacle => saves carrying a separate scraper or hard wood wedge)) and HD scotch brite pad like the kind for BBQ's. Be as gentle as you can else you are throwing away good paint and releasing needless poison into the environment but have at it and go sailing, no big secrets.

Last edited by sailandoar; 05-20-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2006

Chompy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H
For example, is the standing rigging perfect, or are some parts "weak links" that could cause a nasty surprise? Are any of the thru-hulls leaking or frozen? Is the rudder loose at all? Any leaks around the ports or companionway? Do you have a storm jib if you needed one? Is the running rigging weak in any areas. And, of course, hows the electrical, water and engine?
Jim H
I hear you. My first purchases were a rather un-sexy load of cleaning supplies, I'm going to head down there in a few minutes once the heat lets up a bit and get to scrubbing.

As for the fundamentals, I suspect that while the PO didn't do much work on her, the PPO apparently did: the keelbolts and spreaders are both shiny and look new, and the rigging seems solid as a rock. About the only problem area I've found is a leaky window, which I'll definitely hit shortly. Of course who knows what suprises I'll find when I haul out, but in the water the bottom looks perfect to my (admittedly inexperienced) eye. Oh, and the outboard took a minor collision, so there's some $$ to be be spent there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Congratulations...
Handheld VHF: What's your budget? I personally like the Standard Horizon HX471SB handheld. It has some nice features like the ability to monitor Aircraft, FM, FRS and GMRS radio frequencies. Works two-way on FRS, VHF, and GMRS modes. Also capable of DSC distress calls if connected to an NMEA GPS.
I was looking to spend $150-$200, and I'd like to have one with both a Li-Ion battery and the ability to handle AAs, if that's possible. I'll go above that budget number if that means I could find one that does both out of the box.
Quote:
Handheld GPS: What's your budget again? Two models I like are the Garmin 76C__ series which can take the Garmin BlueChart marine charts, and works for both road and marine navigation.
Well my budget for a GPS was around $200, but I gotta say that's a damned sexy unit. I may have to rethink that.. I was just thinking of using it as a compass/speed/position indicator, I hadn't even considered electronic charts because I thought the systems were much more expensive.

Last edited by Chompy; 05-21-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy
I'm particulary interested in advice for cleaning the bottom while she's in the water (freshwater lake). I'm going to haul in a month or two, but in the meantime I'd been thinking of getting a stiff-bristled broom and just scrubbing under there. I'm no diver, but I thought perhaps I could do this with just a snorkel.. but it's ablative paint, will it stand up to that sort of thing? Is there a better way?
Not sure how much growth you are going to have in a freshwater environment, but I would not recommend using a stiff-bristled anything on an ablative bottom. Must hull cleaners (myself included) use 3M "Doodlebug" pads.

Ablative paints are very soft and you should always use the least abrasive method possible to clean them (actually, this is true of any kind of anti fouling paint). Something like a brush or broom will take lots of paint off. Your choice of scrubber will be dependant on the age and condition of the current anti fouling and how much growth there is now.

If you are going to dive the boat yourself, I also recommend you wear a hood, regardless of water tempurature. Otherwise the crud you clean off the hull will invariably find it's way into your ears and that can lead to infection. I've been cleaning hulls for almost 12 years and I still find doing even small boats with a snorkel a real workout. That's why I do it as infrequently as possible
Old 05-23-2006

genephares is on a distinguished road
I boutht an O'day 25 in February. I had to wait for warm enuff weather to do my preventitive maintenance. I am epoxy sealing and rebedding all thru deck hardware. It's a job but my boat is dry,amazingly, and I want to keep it that way. It's a 1976 and I looked hard to find one with a dry cored deck with out moisture damage. I will not splash my boat till July sometime, but I won't have to touch it for 5 years and only to rebed, no more sealing. If your boat is dry I encourage you to read Don Casey's book and get to work. my 2cents. gene