Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2006

tajar is on a distinguished road
trying to replace main & jib sail

I have a '76 Newport 27 and I'd like to replace the sails. It still has it's original sails and I'm having difficulty finding sails that match the dimensions of the current sails. Does any have any suggestions for replacing sails and do the dimensions have to match exactly to the current sails?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Google "used sail"

There are several east and west coast sources. If the sail is fews inches smaller and you can save thousands it will generally make little or no difference.
Old 05-27-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
The dimensions don't have to match exactly. The ones you have now have probably stretched a good bit since they were first made. Used sail clearinghouses like Bacon's often advertise at the back of Sailing World, Cruising World, Sail, Sailing and Yachting. They will have the dimensions for most production boats on file. They may even have used sails made for another Newport 27. A call to one of them should provide you with a range of possible options at a reasonable price. Some clearinghouses have websites that will not only give you the dimensions for the sails you need, but will go through their inventory and tell you what they have that might work for you. If you're using the original sails now, just about anything you hoist is likely to be an improvement.
Old 05-28-2006
O Day Owner

seadreamer1940 is on a distinguished road
Sail trader

Try going to www.alanticsailtraders.com. They have used sails and can configure them to your boats specs.
Old 06-08-2006

tadd16 is on a distinguished road
bacon and associates is a very helpful place, i have bought sails from them and they alway give me a good deal.
Old 06-08-2006

jared is on a distinguished road
When you say "find sails" that sounds like you are looking for used sails. Personally I would say not to do that, used sails often are so far blown out of shape that you will be cheating yourself, like buying gasoline with water in it. Any loft should be able to look up the stock dimensions and patterns for your sails and any good one will also tell you to take measurements because rigging isn't always original on the boat.
The dimensions don't have to be exact, but any time you change the dimensions you will change the performance and balance of the boat, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, sometimes so little you can't tell.
And yes, sometimes you luck out with used sails but then other times, you don't like them and what you lose in shipping them both ways could have been used to just buy new sails that work and fit right in the first place.

Like Clint Eastwood said, "Do you feel lucky, huh? Huh? Do you?"
Old 06-08-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
I have to echo Jared. I have bought used sails and been happy, but also have been ultimately not happy. The designers of your boat knew best what you should have. Well cared for new sails can last 10 years or more on a cruising boat, and certainly the Newport is a cruiser. I think it more important to have a new main. If you have to go used, do it with the jib.