Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By davidpm
  • 1 Post By svzephyr44
  • 2 Post By davidpm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2014

solarwindsailor is on a distinguished road
Question is there a major difference in foot length of boats?

Hi All,

I was curious about how much of a foot length difference is between a 27ft to 30ft boat vs like the tayana 37? Is 8-10 feet all that much more space from the 27 or 30 ft?

I am particularly interested in ocean crossing sailboats like the vega 27, choey lee, baba 30 and many other classics.

Also I forgot to add is an old boat necessarily bad? What if it has been refitted, painted etc... and looks brand new and has a really good survey on it?

Someone earlier on a different forum posted that around 27-32 ft is good enough and can't tell much of a difference except that in a 37ft you will just pay extra foot length for a boat slip. How true is all this in comparison. Maybe someone can help me brain storm and help correct misconceptions.

Last edited by solarwindsailor; 09-21-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: is there a major difference in foot length of boats?

Your really going to have to bite the bullet and see some real boats.
Last year I was on probably a dozen or so boats.

As far as interior space goes:
The Catalina 27 is much smaller than the Catalina 30
The Bristol 32 is about the same as the Catalina 30

The more of a good reputation for being a good ocean boat the smaller it will be for interior space, often.

The more of a good reputation for being a long distance cruising boat the more tankage a boat will have which will take up space. This is great if you need it but a waste if you don't.
In general you can go by displacement. If one boat is 6 ton and another is 9 ton you can figure the the second boat is twice a big.
But where did they put the space. Tankage, lockers, births, heads or open space.

Then again their are so many variations, and exceptions you can pretty much ignore anything I or anyone else says.

You really have to get in the boat to know anything about this sort of thing.
nolatom likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
solarwindsailor (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Be clear that there are two boat lengths:
Length Overall - longest distance from stem to stern - usually includes a bowsprit.
Length of the Waterline - The distance from where the bow hits the surface of the water to where the stern hits the surface of the water.
Theoretical hull speed (the fasted a displacement boat can go through the water) is based on waterline length. A boat with long overhangs that has the same waterline length as a boat with no overhangs will theoretically go the same maximum speed.
paikea likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Old 09-21-2014

solarwindsailor is on a distinguished road
Question Re: is there a major difference in foot length of boats?

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I was looking at some Choey Lee 30's and they seem to be known for ocean crossings as well the Baba 30.

I mean in order to sail the ocean does a boat have to be so big or a certain foot length?

I know refitting is done many times to make a boat be able to cross the ocean safely.

Also a boat made in the 70's or even 60's is it too old or one really has to inspect it and get a survey on it?

I am just trying figure out how one buys a boat. I know the engine well, but not sure of inspection underneath the boat or in the hull itself.

Would you be able to recommend a website or a good book I can buy that would guide me? I just bought Don Casey Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, but have not had a chance to read it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Your really going to have to bite the bullet and see some real boats.
Last year I was on probably a dozen or so boats.

As far as interior space goes:
The Catalina 27 is much smaller than the Catalina 30
The Bristol 32 is about the same as the Catalina 30

The more of a good reputation for being a good ocean boat the smaller it will be for interior space, often.

The more of a good reputation for being a long distance cruising boat the more tankage a boat will have which will take up space. This is great if you need it but a waste if you don't.
In general you can go by displacement. If one boat is 6 ton and another is 9 ton you can figure the the second boat is twice a big.
But where did they put the space. Tankage, lockers, births, heads or open space.

Then again their are so many variations, and exceptions you can pretty much ignore anything I or anyone else says.

You really have to get in the boat to know anything about this sort of thing.
Old 09-21-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarwindsailor View Post
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I was looking at some Choey Lee 30's and they seem to be known for ocean crossings as well the Baba 30.

I mean in order to sail the ocean does a boat have to be so big or a certain foot length?

I know refitting is done many times to make a boat be able to cross the ocean safely.

Also a boat made in the 70's or even 60's is it too old or one really has to inspect it and get a survey on it?

I am just trying figure out how one buys a boat. I know the engine well, but not sure of inspection underneath the boat or in the hull itself.

Would you be able to recommend a website or a good book I can buy that would guide me? I just bought Don Casey Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, but have not had a chance to read it yet.
Based on your questions you are a beginner. Nothing wrong with that we all were at one time.

It has been said that a boat floats on an ocean of money.
So without any experience a lot of this depends on your budget.

This book is very detailed and will get you started well:
The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising
Beth Leonard

The first thing to do is to find out if you really want to do this.
Sign up with https://www.sailopo.com/Home_OPO_History.aspx? and take a couple free test sails for a few days and ask a lot of questions.

The second thing to decide is if you are really going to cross oceans very soon. If not another option is to get a cheaper coastal boat and learn how to sail then trade it in for the crossing boat. It could be argued that it is very unlikely you could pick the right boat the first time and the cost of the wrong boat could kill the whole plan. Again this depends on how much money you have.

As far as size goes, just about any size can be made seaworthy. The smaller the boat the more it will be like camping. The larger the more it will cost.

You have so, so much to learn you really should get on the water with Hank or someone else and read about a dozen books.

Frankly while it is fun for us to talk to a newbie and sound all helpful and such you are not going to get much useful information out of us until you have enough knowledge to even know what questions to ask and if you get the answer what it really means.

Beth's book above will give you a good start.

PS

I just noticed this question:

The age of a boat is not as important as the condition. Many old boats are like Abe Lincoln's ax. The handle was replaced 3 times and the head twice but it is still his ax.
Jeff_H and nolatom like this.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-21-2014 at 01:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Either of those boats will cross an ocean no worries. A bigger boat will be more comfortable, carry more gear, and be faster. For example a Cheoy Lee 30 carries about 35 gallons of water. Crossing an Ocean with 35 gallons of water will be spartan.

Quote:
Not too old, but more risky. The older the boat, the more likely it is to have serious problems. You should not buy a boat of this age without a serious inspection IMHO.

As mentioned above, Beth Leonard's book does a great job of teaching you how to think realistically about a boat. Highly recommended.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

The Following User Says Thank You to RainDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Comfort and design are the differences in hull length. you also need to consider hull width if you are interested in interior volume. Something like Westsail 32 is much larger inside than an Alberg 37 due to the shorter waterline length of the Alberg and the greater width of the Westsail.

And no, small boats make transatlantic crossings too.. but they are well known small blue water boats like the Flicka and Falmouth Cutter

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 09-21-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

As for length of the boat, it is not length added on at the end, it is length added in the middle. Picture your average 30 footer being cut where it is widest and a three foot extension being added in the middle (they have done this with cruise ships, but I digress). You are adding three feet by whatever the max beam is (actually the boat will end up being a bit beamier as well, so the amount you are adding is increased even more).

Another important consideration is the boat's displacement and the shape of the hull. These will have an impact on comfort and ability to carry weight (e.g tankage, ground tackle, food). If you were comparing a Vega 27 to a Vega 30 (sadly they did not make one), the 30 will be faster, more spacious, more comfortable at sea, and be able to carry more junk without being overloaded. When you want to compare different boats, say a Baba 30 and an Alberg 30 it gets more complicated because the designs have significant differences. The Baba has a beam of more than 10 feet and a displacement of 12,500 lbs while the Alberg has a beam of less than 9' and a displacement of 9,000 lbs. They are very different boats in spite of both being thought of as long-keel, distance cruisers.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 09-21-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi All,

I was curious about how much of a foot length difference is between a 27ft to 30ft boat vs like the tayana 37? Is 8-10 feet all that much more space from the 27 or 30 ft?

I am particularly interested in ocean crossing sailboats like the vega 27, choey lee, baba 30 and many other classics.

Also I forgot to add is an old boat necessarily bad? What if it has been refitted, painted etc... and looks brand new and has a really good survey on it?

Someone earlier on a different forum posted that around 27-32 ft is good enough and can't tell much of a difference except that in a 37ft you will just pay extra foot length for a boat slip. How true is all this in comparison. Maybe someone can help me brain storm and help correct misconceptions.

There are many aspects to this.
A tayana 37 is a double ender(canoe stern), thanks perry, and being such will not have as much room as a sugar scoop would have. The biggest difference you will have between a tayana 37 and a vega 27 is weight, with the 37 being more sea kindly. I am not sure I would want to cross an ocean in a light boat, thou the vega 27 does cross them, it provokes a lot of vomiting, even from well seasoned sailors. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...SBc0tqMCep8Ggb

If your looking for interior size, look for a boat with a stern close to the water, and not extending over it, also look for a square stern.

If your looking for comfort, look for a lot of weight.

However yes, 8-10' is a massive difference, as with length, you also have beam, and that makes the boat much larger inside. we have a 45/48 our boat also has a sugar scoop transom, we are three times the interior size of a tayana 37, and the tayana 37 is about 3 times the size of a albin 27.

As you get bigger then us it start to slow down as you approach maximum good beam.
The 27 is 8' wide, 37 is 11.5 wide, we are 13.6 wide, a 55 is only 15 wide.

Last edited by UnionPacific; 09-21-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.