Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006

Edo Kazumichi is on a distinguished road
High Latitude boats - Metal v Fiberglass

I recently read an article in a non-sailing publication (The Economist online, "Icebergs Ahoy") about some outfits doing private charters in the far south and north - Antarctica, Tierra del Fuego, South Georgia, Greenland, Spitsbergen. They made the observation that fiberglass boats are not tough enough to face the hazards of sailing in these regions. However, when I looked at the website of one the brokers handling boats that do these trips I found that although most were using metal vessels there were two or three that were using fiberglass boats.

Does a guy need a steel boat to survive a trip to Greenland or Antarctica or to round Cape Horn?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2006

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
Perhaps the author has not read about Titanic!
There are plenty of GRP boats up in the arctic waters, some even stay the winter frozen in the ice. The more impotant may be the design of the boat. The risk of hitting small submerged ice bergs/blocks are rather high and a fin keel would not be my first choice of design. I think the real reason for using steel boats have more to do with repair facilities and economy than the material itself. A bit tricky to do glassfber jobs in
-10 Centigrades!
Old 05-30-2006

Are you telling me the Titanic wasn't fiberglass?

Still, a whack anywhere on a long-keeled fiberglass boat with a block of ice would be a rather bad thing, no? And my time on the Arctic coast of Alaska suggests to me that you would have to worry about hitting ice for all but about one or two months out of the year. And wouldn't being frozen in the ice severely damage a boat -ala what Shackleton's boat suffered? How do they do it?

If these questions seem uninformed it's because they are. I'm new to sailing but would eventually like to have a boat that I could safely take into the areas I mentioned.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Airex cored hull

The literature for Airex foam cored glass hulls 20 years ago showed several boats involved in groundings and being trapped in ice flows that you would have thought would turn them into plastic mulch, but they were put back into service until the repair shop could work them in to fill the scratches and repair the paint job. That is not much of an exageration, they can take a licking a keep on ticking.

I have a steel boat and I like it but it occasionaly rusts.
Old 05-31-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think a metal-hulled boat would be safer, but a wooden composite or GRP boat would be warmer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-01-2006

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
G'day Edo
One of my all time heroes was a Dr. David Lewis.
He had a steel boat and tried to circumnavigate Antartica in the 70/s.
He wrote a book called "ICE BIRD" about his trip.
You should get it somehow and read it.
Old 06-02-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
There are a lot of glass boats now being built with Aramid and Kevlar in the hulls which is supposedly stronger than steel on impact. I think the comment about repairs is more to the point...you can find a welder just about anywhere...but try to find an Aramid repairman in Tierra del Fuego!
Old 06-04-2006

Thanks all.

So the consensus seems to be that you could take a modern GRP boat into these waters without risking your life.

Does anybody have a list of pros and cons for metal vs GRP in general? Here's a first pass:

Steel pros
-can be repaired just about anywhere by just about anyone

GRP pros
-warmer
-doesn't rust
-looks alot cooler

Additions?
Old 06-04-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Fairmetal hulls / Orgami constuction

Not a response to your last question but in line with your possible interest in metal boats, take a look at the type of construction in the title. As a metal boat owner and former welder/shipfitter I think they are the way to go. Construction is cheaper (less labor) and longevity improved. ( most metal boat die from the inside out due to moisture collecting on the many pockets on the longitudinals). I am fairly sure that Jimmy Corrnell's boat is a french 'fairmetal'.

As to the 'COLDNESS' of a metal hull, it is I think much overblown. Single skin glass and metal hulls are only marginally different when it comes to condensation etc. Any hull needs to be insulated and my hull has about 2.5" of spray in place foam and it does not get much better than that. Modern glass hulls with interior liners seem to me to be a goofy waste. Consumers want/expect a very pretty high degree of finish and the manufacturer's add all that weight and create a situation where you may not notice the condensation but it is DRIPPING into the bilge through the HIDDEN/INACESSABLE voids between the hull and liner and if your lucky and if your not lucky it pools and leaks into the interior and causes mildew mold problems. What if you get a pucture in the hull, how do you get to it to stop it if it is hidden by the stupid liner and the void behind the liner lets the water travel every which way. I am not a fan of modern boat construction and drop in liners. The older hulls (or current hulls) that are single skin (or cored) and have the interior built right to the hull make more sense to me.

Metal hulls are easier to modify. Weld or bolt most anything anywhere and you have increadable strength while with a glass/wood hull you have to worry/fret about where and how to mount and reinforce.

Last edited by sailandoar; 06-04-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some GRP boats are "unsinkable", but I'd take that claim with a grain of salt... that is generally not the case with steel boats... ie. Titantic.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.