Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2014

solarwindsailor is on a distinguished road
Question Sailing to NYC

H,

I was wondering how difficult is it to sail and anchor on the East side of Manhattan Island NYC from Virginia?

Once one is out of the ocean and into the Hudson Bay is it difficult to catch wind and sail through or once ends up using the engine?

And is it crowded for July 4th up there if you have already done this?

How about docking fees, fueling etc... if you happen to know approximate rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing to NYC

Yes, I did the 4th of July on the boat in the Hudson and it was the wrong thing to do. I should have been on the shore... Thats where the party was.

I had a few friends on the boat and it was kinda fun... Although the coast guard/ police whatever tried to symie as much fun as they could. There were not many boats out, I guess they all knew.

As for sailing up the Hudson into Manhatten... Thats a definite problem for people who havent been there before. Current for a start... And a few other boats, ships and ferrys around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 10-08-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2014

solarwindsailor is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Sailing to NYC

Nice to hear about your trip. Where you able to watch the fireworks form the boat easily?

Also I saw a youtube video, and I do see the current you are talking about, but were you able to catch the wind all the way or did you have to end up using the motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yes, I did the 4th of July on the boat in the Hudson and it was the wrong thing to do. I should have been on the shore... Thats where the party was.

I had a few friends on the boat and it was kinda fun... Although the coast guard/ police whatever tried to symie as much fun as they could. There were not many boats out, I guess they all knew.

As for sailing up the Hudson into Manhatten... Thats a definite problem for people who havent been there before. Current for a start... And a few other boats, ships and ferrys around.

Old 10-08-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

There is a really nice anchorage near the CG station at Sandy Hook, but after that I don't know if you'll have much luck anchoring in the Upper NY Bay or the East River, especially around the 4th. If you are not a very, very experienced sailor (it wouldn't hurt to have good crew too, to help watch out for traffic) with a really good understanding of the Rules of the Road (Inland rules), I would not attempt to sail beyond the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, but that's just me, perhaps. "Strong tides make parts of New York Harbor difficult and dangerous to navigate."
I was operating a 100 foot vessel there on the Bicentennial 4th afternoon/evening and it was a madhouse, but that was my only 4th experience there.
Old 10-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarwindsailor View Post
H,

I was wondering how difficult is it to sail and anchor on the East side of Manhattan Island NYC from Virginia? .....
From Virginia? Nope, not possible. From Georgia, maybe, but not Virginia.

No anchoring in the East River, as it's properly called, to my knowledge. Active Captain does show something new up Whale Creek, but I've never been.

You can anchor off the Statue of Liberty to the Southwest of Manhattan. Imagine the view of NYC, while anchored in the shadow of the lady? Has to be on every sailor's bucket list.

I did it about 25 years ago. I've also anchored there to watch the Jul 4 fireworks, for which I assume the rules have changed since. Back then, there were so many boats, it was a nightmare. Literally fending off the entire time. If there is no one out there now, as Mark claims, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here is the link to Active Captain. Click on the interactive Cruising Guidebook and have a look. There are a few marinas in the area, if that's what you're looking for.

https://activecaptain.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-08-2014
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

From another old log book entry (July 4th 2000) ...

Easy sail from Chesapeake Bay entrance to Sandy Hook NJ (Lower NY Harbor) Broke passage at Absecon Inlet (Atlantic City) for an overnight anchor between the CG station and Brigantine Bridge.

Sandy Hook Anchorage (Lower NY Harbor) crowded and exposed to the west, but good access and reasonable depths... 5 ft tides so check tide state when you pick a spot. If you forget, you could find yourself laid over on the bottom at low tide (Don't ask how I know)

Across the other side of the lower harbor is Great Kills. Great hole in a blow if you can find room in all the moorings.

Had planned to scoot through NY area early to avoid July 4th traffic issues, but daughter REALLY wanted to watch the fireworks so the old man broke down and anchored north of Ellis Island (designated anchorage, still open) Extremely crowded (July 4th 2000) with lots of wake from pleasure boat traffic. Great view of Lower Manhattan. Prices for everything were simply outrageous from cigs to fuel, even on the Jersey side. Left anchorage late morning and sailed (not motored) up the Hudson to West Haverstraw for fuel and a late lunch. Much better prices, made some new friends and ended up docking overnight before continuing up Hudson.

Big tidal race in the Hudson, so sail options will depend on tides and wind (as always)
Between Verrazano Narrows and George Washington Bridge there is a huge amount of big ship and ferry traffic, so even if you sail it is probably best to leave the engine idling for quick maneuvering. Gross-tonnage rule applies rather than inland rules. If they outweigh you, get out of the way... quickly. Ferries in particular are high speed, and stick to their course and schedule.

Hope some of that helps... Me, I am headed south. .

Onboard - Solitaire
Old 10-08-2014

mbianka is on a distinguished road

I usually anchor north of Ellis Island after transiting the East River while waiting for a far current to head up the Hudson. Have not done it on the fourth though. I imagine as others have said it could be packed. There are some pricey moorings ($75) a little north of the battery. You probably need to be lucky for July 4th to get one. There is also 79th street Marina a little far from the fireworks (if they are held in the Hudson River) You definatly need to be aware of the tidal currents in the harbor. Big ship traffic does not have unlimited room to maneuver in some places. Suggest you pick up an Eldridge Tide and Pilot before starting out on your trip it will tell you every thing you need to know about what the current is doing. On the fourth they will be a lot of Marine enforcement out keeping you away from fireworks barges and the like plus lot's of wakes from power boats. Not my idea of fun. Other than marinas on the New Jersey side of the river not really any places to drop the hook without being hassled by the CG or MP until you get up by 79th Street. Good luck with your plans.

Old 10-08-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

The Hudson would be the west side, wouldn't it?
Last time I went through the east side - AKA Hells Gate - there was no way you were going ot anchor in there. We went at the wrong time and were doing 1 knot SOG for 6 knots on the meter

Old 10-08-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

The 2014 Macy's fireworks are in the East River. There is no place to anchor in the East River. Currents are severe. The police will be out full force to protect the fireworks barges. In a nutshell there will be no place that you can put your boat where you will be able to see the fireworks.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 10-08-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Or you can anchor for free either sid eof 79th st boat basin.... But using their dinghy dock costs $25 per day (same as the moorings) but you get a free shower and free washing machine and dryer... If you can get the local live abords off the machines... But the show is always available as the locals dont wash

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.