SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Hughes Sailboats (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/1697-hughes-sailboats.html)

bootsy1962 07-11-2001 11:22 AM

Hughes Sailboats

Has anyone heard of a Hughes sailboat. We have seen one listed in our local paper, a Hughes 38. Any help?

JeffH 07-11-2001 01:38 PM

Hughes Sailboats

I owned a Hughes quarter tonner back in the 1970''s and I am reasonably familiar with Hughes as a company. Hughes was a small Canadian boat builder started in the 1960''s. They originally produced a line of boat designed by founder Howard Hughes (not that Howard Hughes) Later they were bought by US Steel and the linbe was retooled as Hughes Northstar. The Hughes Northstar boats were designed by Sparkman and Stevens and included a whole line of interesting and reasonably well built boats. I thought the boats were nicely detailed and well thought out.

Most of the Northstar boats were designed to be early IOR era racer cruisers which had both good and bad design features but being biased toward being race boats they became obsolete pretty quickly.

At some point US Steel left the company and the boats were retooled toward a more cruising oriented bias. This also was a mixed blessing as the weights of the boats went up and sailing abilities went down.

There were several boats that might be listed as Hughes 38''s so it is hard to comment on the specific boat that you are looking at other than to say that in general Hughes built substantially better constructed boats than was the average. One of the Hughes 38 models actually shared the hull design with the Hinckley Competition 38 and the glass and gelcoat work was so good at Hughes that Hinckley chose to have Hughes actually so the hull and deck laminations.

Good luck,
Jeff

wherever 07-23-2001 12:24 PM

Hughes Sailboats

I Have been living and sailing solo aboard my hughes 31''. I have travelled the great lakes, East coast and bahamas in almost every weather condition imaginable and couldn''t be happier with the boats design. before purchasing her last year I looked at several of these boats, there is an ongoing abundance of them in southern Ontario.one area to look at before purchasing one of these is the cabin top as many have a plywood core wich often become soft due to deck leaks. An article on the refit of a Hughes 31'' can also be found in a recent cruising world magazine, I think March,april or may. also "Fatty Goodlander" who cruises his hughes31 wrights regularily for cruising world magazine.Hope this information is of some help

wherever 07-23-2001 12:29 PM

Hughes Sailboats

please pardon my eror, both the article in cruising world and fattie''s boat are hughes 38''s not hughes 31''s.

Pub911 10-25-2007 03:52 PM

I own a Hughes 38 aka NorthStar 38

And I love it. I use it for coastal cruising. Great for 2-12 people depending on the day. I have 7 years of experience with the boat. Reply if you have specific questions.

T37Chef 10-25-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub911 (Post 212062)
And I love it. I use it for coastal cruising. Great for 2-12 people depending on the day. I have 7 years of experience with the boat. Reply if you have specific questions.

Oh no dude...your gonna get your hand slapped for this...you'll see ;)

Johnrb 10-25-2007 04:28 PM

I can hear the hall monitor coming, carrying his big ruler. :eek:

sailortjk1 10-25-2007 04:40 PM

The Dog is gonna bite your head off!

SailorMitch 10-25-2007 04:49 PM

Who can read those initial posts through all the cobwebs anyway?????

Pub911 10-29-2007 10:22 PM

Yikes, didn't see the date. My humblest apologies to the powers that be. Suffer the newbe.