Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2014

wallster is on a distinguished road
Onboard: Electric stove or other?

I have seen pictures of boats that have AC and/or electric ranges. Just curious if this is run off many batteries and solar power, or is it pretty simple to get power off your engine,be it an inboard/outboard or just an outboard? I didn't see any generators unless they were tucked away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
re: Onboard: Electric stove or other?

These boats you are talking about...were they actually running these devices while away from the dock?
If they were, and you didn't see any generator, chances are close to 100%, they had an installed marine genset. You would need an awful lot of battery power to run anything but a very small AC unit and especially a power hungry electric stove.

I've got a 16,000 BTU AC unit on my boat. Only runs when I'm at the dock.
zeehag likes this.
Old 10-11-2014

That makes sense. Yeah it was just pics of modifications people had done and they were selling the boat so I didn't see them as they were underway. Logical though that it would just be used when they are in a marina.
Old 10-11-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

One of the most inane things that boat builders do is install electric stoves.. since the inverter/battery use for such a thing is impractical it means a generator is the only way to make it work.

When you get around to spending weekends on the hook you'll know which boats have electric stoves when you hear the generators fire up at dinner time... and breakfast time.... and coffee time....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-11-2014

Okay, sounds good. Do you guys use something like a camping stove then?
Old 10-12-2014

kenr74 is on a distinguished road

Yes, a camping stove will work fine on a small boat. Just don't store propane in the cabin, as it is an explosion hazard. On my 22 footer I do most of my cooking in the cockpit, which is where I keep a couple of the little camping propane bottles.
Old 10-12-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

There are different options. Some do use small camping stoves, but mostly, people use rail mounted marine grills. most are connected to small propane canisters. My boat has an installed marine oven with cooktop. While mine runs on CNG gas, most are connected to propane tanks, either mounted outboard or in dedicated, sealed propane lockers.
Old 10-12-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Get an unpressurized alcohol stove. Much safer than propane, and cheaper to properly install. No remote tank, no dedicated locker, no tubing, no solenoid, no sniffer needed, and no ka-BOOM if any of the aforementioned components fail.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 10-12-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2014

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
One of the most inane things that boat builders do is install electric stoves.. since the inverter/battery use for such a thing is impractical it means a generator is the only way to make it work.

When you get around to spending weekends on the hook you'll know which boats have electric stoves when you hear the generators fire up at dinner time... and breakfast time.... and coffee time....
I disagree with you regarding electric galleys. I didn't want explosive gas inside my cabin, so I installed an electric galley; both oven and hobs. I don't need to run the generator to cook. The inverter and 1000Ah battery bank are up to the task just fine. And when I'm on the boat I don't go to a dock more than once or twice every 6 months, I'm a liveaboard and not a weekend sailor so the energy balance has to work - and it does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I disagree with you regarding electric galleys. I didn't want explosive gas inside my cabin, so I installed an electric galley; both oven and hobs. I don't need to run the generator to cook. The inverter and 1000Ah battery bank are up to the task just fine. And when I'm on the boat I don't go to a dock more than once or twice every 6 months, I'm a liveaboard and not a weekend sailor so the energy balance has to work - and it does.

The OP apparently has a 24-ft boat. Not very likely that he'll have a 1000Ah battery bank or a genset.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.