SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Best northern bahama destinations?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
We are going to sail our new (to us) catalina 30 over to the bahamas in August, since our anchorage is in Stuart, I figure we'll head for the north end this trip.

We have 9 days to spend bumping around the bahamas, I was thinking a couple days at west end, a few days in abaco any any other stops we should add to the list?

We've been to bimini, mainly due to convenience from miami, any reason to stay at one place longer then then other? Seems abaco is popular with sailors, so i figured the long leg of the stay would be best there.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Abacos

Green Turtle: (1) Brendals Dive Shop, world class diving and a world class hospitality and showmanship. (2) Vert Lowe's Model Ship Shop, incredible models

Great Iguana: Nipper's bar on top of the dune with an Atlantc view that you will remember always.

Little Harbor: Pete's Pub - son of Randolph Johnson the sculpter (they settled Little Harbor =>read the book) and Pete does some bronze casting.

Castaway Cay: where disney dug a cruise ship channel, started building a resort and then just dropped averything and walked away.

#3 ·
Lat9.5...
Since you are time limited and smack dab in the middlee of hurricane season I would recommend the following.
-Leave Palm Beach at 10PM and sail to Memory rock passage continuing on in Daylight to Great Sale Cay. This will put you there sometome in the afternoon. Good anchorage.
-Next day get an early start and go to Green Turtle Cay where you can anchor off the settlement and check into customs easily and explore the town a bit.
-From there, you can go to White or Black sound to anchor and enjoy the island.(Recommend white sound...and ditto Bredal's recommendation if you are a diver...restaurant at the Green Turtle Club is excellent.
-The balance of your time can then be spent exploring the northern Abacos and the reefs (Manjack Cay and Allans Pensacola Cay are favorites of mine.
I do NOT recommend going around Whale Cay to the more popular southern Abacos Cays since Whale Cay can get impassable if there is rough weather and you would not be able to get back around on your timetable. Save these wonderful Cays for when you have more time...there is plenty to do and see up in the Northern Abacos.

#4 ·
Yea I was thinking of green turtle cay as our abaco stop, looks very nice.

Appreciate the input, we're planning on bringing our pups as well, I've heard customs in the bahamas doesn't really care, do I need to have the vet card just in case?

#5 ·
Lat9.5...be very sure to comply with Bahama Vet regulations! They don't always check but when they do, you better have your papers! A couple of other thoughts:
Avoid Walkers Cay...hurricanes caused shoaling the is not charted & not much there anyway.
Get a copy of the Steve Dodge 2006 Guide to Abaco. It is the bible! For Charts...I recommend the Lewis Explorer Chartbook for Near Bahamas rather than the Maptech chartbook which is awful and innacurate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.