Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006

danlamont is on a distinguished road
Miller 28 and Quanta 28 -- need info

I am boat shopping -- replacing my recently sold Trintella 29, which has gone to a fellow with more time and woodworking skills than I. Top choices right now are two Canadian built boats -- a 1972 Miller 28 and a 1986 Quanta 28. These were built by long-gone companies and I am starved for information.

I know the owner of the Miller but I know nothing about the builder, the reputation and attributes of the design, etc. Can anybody out there help with information, links, etc? I would be most grateful. The boat seems well equipped but has an old raw water cooled Volvo engine, which probably accounts for the modest asking price. I haven't seen her yet but I'm told she's full keel, which doesn't square up with the only description I found on Yachtworld for a newer model Miller 28.

I am also interested in a 1986 Quanta. The asking price on this boat is triple the older Miller but she is essentially fresh and ready to go. I have read some impressive early reviews of this model. Anybody out there had any personal experience with a Quanta 28 they'd like to share. The engine is only 9hp pushing 7000 lbs of boat and that concerns me a bit.

Any insights on these vessels would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by danlamont; 06-10-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you know anyone with the Practical Sailor's Boat Buying Guide, I'm sure it would have both in there. Also worth checking is the Good Old Boat magazine website. They specialize in older boats.. and might have a line on information on the two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2006

danlamont is on a distinguished road
Ah but were it that simple! The Quanta 28 was, I think, only made for two years ('85 and '86 -- one broker asserts only 16 were built), near Vancouver BC, and while the regional boating press responded favorably, Practical Sailor never got to it. As for Miller, my understanding is they were a mostly custom yard and only made one production model (the later vintage 28?). So my quest is really for needles in haystacks but you never know unless you try, right? I'm going to start hitting the old boatbuilders and brokers this week.

Best

Dan
Old 06-11-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I believe Millers were in fact built in Seattle, but I'm only aware of the later 28' model you described, essentially a 70's racer/cruiser of which not too many were built.

The Quanta was locally (Vancouver) built, and has a great pedigree. The designer is Ray Wall, who, while working with Camper Nicholson in England designed what became the CS 27. He brought that design to Canada in the early 70s and helped form CS yachts. He went on to design the popular CS36 (traditional) and the CS33.

He later (early-mid 80's) started Quanta Yachts in Vancouver and designed the 28, of which unfortuantely few were built but it has many of the qualities that the CS 33 and 36 had and was apparently very nicely tooled for production. Build quality is reportedly very good. I do share your concern about it being underpowered if in fact it's only a 9 hp engine.

Good Luck
Old 07-05-2007

Jobrooksail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlamont
I am boat shopping -- replacing my recently sold Trintella 29, which has gone to a fellow with more time and woodworking skills than I. Top choices right now are two Canadian built boats -- a 1972 Miller 28 and a 1986 Quanta 28. These were built by long-gone companies and I am starved for information.

I know the owner of the Miller but I know nothing about the builder, the reputation and attributes of the design, etc. Can anybody out there help with information, links, etc? I would be most grateful. The boat seems well equipped but has an old raw water cooled Volvo engine, which probably accounts for the modest asking price. I haven't seen her yet but I'm told she's full keel, which doesn't square up with the only description I found on Yachtworld for a newer model Miller 28.

I am also interested in a 1986 Quanta. The asking price on this boat is triple the older Miller but she is essentially fresh and ready to go. I have read some impressive early reviews of this model. Anybody out there had any personal experience with a Quanta 28 they'd like to share. The engine is only 9hp pushing 7000 lbs of boat and that concerns me a bit.

Any insights on these vessels would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I'm late. Just joined.
There is a 1974 Miller 28 for sale in Latitude 38 Sep. issue magazine plus picture showing the full keel. I too like it's looks and that has led me here for more possible info on it. 12hp Yanmar diesel. Latitude 38 has a web site that that could possible show you the ad.
Old 07-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jo-

Generally, it is considered somewhat poor net etiquette to revive threads that have died. This is the second thread you've done this to, and while I'm sure your intentions were good, if they haven't bought a boat by now, it is very likely that they're not sailing anymore.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.