Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2014

soyuz is on a distinguished road
Need advice for autopilot

I have a CS-36 T that weight about 17 000 pounds loaded, right now i have no

autopilot but i did install a caphorn windvane but so far no luck, its not working

good. I am running out of time and i need to have something to steer.

any ideas ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Need advice for autopilot

Plenty of installation examples listed here:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ndvane%20setup

Suggest your review a bunch of these to try to see why yours isn't working...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2014

Thanks faster, we are talking with yves to get it to work but....

i am on my way south right now and we are running out of things to try.
Old 10-18-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuz View Post
I have a CS-36 T that weight about 17 000 pounds loaded, right now i have no autopilot but i did install a caphorn windvane but so far no luck, its not working good. I am running out of time and i need to have something to steer.
I agree with Faster. The Cape Horn is pretty bulletproof. You should be able to get it to work. Where are you?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Below deck auto pilot is best, but expensive and a complicated and long install. If you are looking for a quick solution, and a very durable one at that look at the CPT autopilot. CPT Autopilot Inc. They have a reputation of working on very large boats simple but can't be connected to a plotter. (but then again neither can the wind vane!) You are about the limit for the Ramarine one. I believe Mainsail has one on his, and says it works well (may be putting words in his mouth but I think that is what he said). They have a new one out and it states 16,000 pound limit, so you are over it but if you keep the sails well trimed and the helm balanced it seems it should work. I don't see auto pilot wind vane being a one or the other thing anyway. There are times such as motoring that a vane will not work well. And an autopilot will put you right into the the wind while putting up and taking down sails, not a vane's strong point.
Old 10-18-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I have a newish CPT autopilot. It is rugged for sure. Loaded, our boat is close to 40,000 lbs. We only use it when there is no wind and it seems up to the task. The control/sensing unit seems very sensitive to magnetic influences. The CPT uses a magnetic compass and we could not install it where the control unit for the old Raytheon unit had been - just too much magnetic stuff there - CPT mentioned a problem with throttle and gear cables. Once we moved the control unit it was fine, but you do need to fiddle.

You should be able to get the Cap Horn to work, especially with the help of Yves. We have a Monitor and our experience would suggest two areas of difficulty. One is that the boat absolutely must be balanced. For us that has meant eliminating weather helm by reducing the size of the main. We have a roller furling main and just roll in enough sail until we are balanced. Try over-reefing. If you don't need to reef, put in one. If you need one reef, put in two. Also do not have the main sheet overtightened. We can steer our boat when the Monitor is on by moving the mainsheet in and out - even a few inches will change the course. Vanes are very sensitive devices, but once you get if figured out it becomes very easy. i don't know how the Cap Horn works from the vane rudder to the wheel, but it really matters to have minimum friction. We ended up experimenting with various blocks, but now use two Harken and two Ronstan bearing blocks. There is a fair bit of tension on them and they are constantly moving. If the blocks do not turn effortlessly it becomes much harder to steer the boat.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 10-18-2014

I am near yarmouth nova scotia making my way south along the coast.

The problem we have with the CH is the ship, really there is no room to work on it

we are 3 guys onboard only one can fit and we are not big or fat, you need to be really

small to fit in.

Last edited by soyuz; 10-18-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuz View Post
I have a CS-36 T that weight about 17 000 pounds loaded, right now i have no

autopilot but i did install a caphorn windvane but so far no luck, its not working

good. I am running out of time and i need to have something to steer.

any ideas ?
Hey,

What do you want the autopilot to do? Should it be able to drive the boat straight ahead in calm conditions, follow a route on your chart plotter, steer the boat downwind in large following seas, keep the going going when motoring, steer upwind?

Steering downwind with large following seas is going to be real tough. Having something to help you steer in light wind is easy....

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2014

Uricanejack is on a distinguished road

I would like some advice on the same topic.
I don't have an auto pilot. my budget does not extend to wind vanes and probably not to a under deck pilot.

My Boats a C&C 35 111. Is the raymarine wheel pilot. good enough? for coastal cruising. Steer a straight while I make tea?
Reasonably reliable? Hard on battery?
Easy to fit?
Old 10-18-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We're using a RM S-1... works fine for calm motoring, straight line while hoisting/dousing sail, reasonable on smooth reaches not so well on quartering seas or lots of/variable winds.

Prefer to steer anyway while sailing so it serves us well for what we need/want.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.