Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By killarney_sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2014

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road
USA to Canada?

Hello All,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'd like recent advice if I could please.

How complicated and expensive would it be to purchase a sailboat in the US and transport to Canada.
Here's the scenario: 27 foot sailboat in Waterford CT. transported by truck to the Canadian border at Queenston/Lewiston and then 10 miles north. I would meet the transporter at the border.

Also the boat is presently on jack stands, can a transporter ship this way? I'm starting to reach out to transporters for estimates. There is USship which is a bidding process, does anyone know a transporter in the Waterford CT. area?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: USA to Canada?

It's pretty simple. Buy the boat and make sure you get a copy of the seller's title. Customs (CBSA) will want to be sure it wasn't stolen. You'll need a bill of sale too, of course. Upon clearing customs you'll be charged applicable taxes (and 9.5% duty if it was built outside NFTA)

Depending on the trucker you get, and their equipment, you may need a travel lift to put it on the trailer though some boat movers have very versatile split trailers that can pick boats up themselves. btw in our experience it will cost quite a bit more to truck across the border. Around here (west coast) most boats are dropped off in northern WA state and sailed home from there. Not sure if that's an option for you by the sound of it.

Anyhow it's not complicated- the logistics of the transport are more involved than the actual import.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-19-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Also check boat trucking companies in Ontario. There are several. The cheapest way is to find a company taking a boat south that would otherwise have to return empty. If you are not in a huge rush for shipping something would likely appear over the winter. You could also sail the boat home in the spring. Nice trip and not difficult.
Faster and downeast450 like this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 10-19-2014

Gary M is on a distinguished road

I had one trucked in from Boston to Sarnia using a local trucking firm near here. Gave them a couple of month leeway and they brought it back on a return trip, very reasonable.
Some firms use a hydraulic trailer and can pick it up off of jack stands and transport it that way. You will however need a cradle or I guess jack stands for them to set it on.
They simply paid the GST. at the border and I paid them back when they dropped it off, really simple.

Good luck but I would sail it.

Gary
Old 10-20-2014

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the replies and the information offered. I received a PM and will follow up on that.

Cheers,
Old 10-20-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
I had one trucked in from Boston to Sarnia using a local trucking firm near here. Gave them a couple of month leeway and they brought it back on a return trip, very reasonable.
Some firms use a hydraulic trailer and can pick it up off of jack stands and transport it that way. You will however need a cradle or I guess jack stands for them to set it on.
They simply paid the GST. at the border and I paid them back when they dropped it off, really simple.

Good luck but I would sail it.

Gary
That pretty much says it all and that is what I did.

I would like to add:
You will have to make arrangements for a Travel lift to pick the boat at the destination and drop it off on to either stands or a cradle.

Have the transporter recommend or search for a custom broker and pay the $50 or so for them to clear. From other experiences, if you go to the border and deal with customs yourself, its usually harder, as they will give you a hard time and perhaps even inspect every bit of the boat.
Old 10-21-2014

FDR14127 is on a distinguished road

Call Glenn at ATL Trucking in Virgil. He can pick it up from the jack stands, and if he has a backhaul from the area of purchase, likely it will save you money. You could possibly store it in his yard on Back Creek Rd. and save winter storage fees. Else contact Ed at Niagara on the Lake Sailing Club and drop it there for the winter. Reasonable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.