SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Below Deck Plastic Fuel Tank Grounding Question

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a plastic fuel tank installed below deck needs to be grounded? I can understand why metal fuel tanks would need an attachedgrouning wire, but I'm not sure about plastic tanks.

I recently installed an all-plastic fuel cap which recommended not to attach a grounding wire. I wonder if the same is true for the gas tank.

Of course, the gas tank is not entirely all-plastic. It does include a metal fuel gauge sender and the fuel withdrawl has a metal fitting to which the fuel line connects.

#2 ·
Each metalic or metalic plated component of the fuel fill system, that is in contact with the fuel and the fuel tank, shall be grounded
Grounded Liquid Level Gauge transmitters (senders) shall have the negative return conductor connected directly to the the DC main negative bus (which is grounded). This conductor serves as the static ground or bond conductor for the tank or fill.

#3 ·
Plastic tanks should also be grounded. IIRC they can hold a fairly substantial static charge, which can then ignite the gasoline vapors under the "right" conditions. A grounding strap eliminates this risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.