Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2014
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Rockweed !@#$!!

After all the effort and care to keep the hull clean, the Atomic 4 running properly and the correct prop spinning at its optimum rpm. a small clump of Ascophyllum around the shaft ahead of the prop will immediately take 300+ rpm and is difficult to dislodge. Running against a tide and a wind it is next to impossible to back down and attempt to clear it. Sometimes, nothing short of reaching down with a boat hook will clear it away. After a good storm, rafts of this wonderful weed become a bigger performance problem than any of the mechanical or design issues I face.

I do not have a shaft mounted line cutter. Wondering and hoping that might be a simple solution. Anyone had a problem with rockweed? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Down
Old 11-06-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Rockweed !@#$!!

Yep, happens all the time in the Chesapeake's upper reaches. I put that A4 in reverse, rev the engine a second or two, and I'm on my way.

Gary
downeast450 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

You think you've got problems, try dodging kelp paddies all day. The stuff gets 40+ feet long.
vega1860 and downeast450 like this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 11-06-2014
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Yep, happens all the time in the Chesapeake's upper reaches. I put that A4 in reverse, rev the engine a second or two, and I'm on my way.

Gary
Thanks for the reply, Gary. That does work for me when it is possible to do it. There are enough times when it isn't possible. There are times when avoiding or even seeing it is more difficult than avoiding lobster pots. It can be a "continuous" problem at times.

Riding along in a channel with a strong tide running, the wind on the nose and a sea of lobster pots, I need the extra rpms. I can slog along if clearing the rockweed hasn't been successful. I would like to engineer that little PITA away. I am wondering if anyone has installed a line cutter and seen this old sea weed problem vanish as a result.

I avoid lobster pots fairly well. With my fin and spade they get my respect. I have several friends who are lobster fishermen. Having a knife that might result in cutting off their gear because I hadn't been careful about avoiding it has been a hurdle for me. I have never cut a lobster pot float away. I expect I won't with a line cutter either. I want the rockweed to go away.

George
Old 11-06-2014

In Chesapeake Bay we have crab pots, more than a half million of them every summer. This year, however, they have not been a problem, mainly because the commercial crabbers have once again wiped out the crabs, and from the latest information, they've also wiped out the striped bass as well - they've had a lot of practice at this over the years.

Fortunately, I have a full-keel on my Morgan 33 Out Island, and a keel mounted rudder. Consequently, it's nearly impossible to snag a crab pot buoy line, which is the way I like it. Now, when I had a fin keeled 27 Catalina, I snagged one nearly every day. Also snagged a lot more vegetation as well. That full keel is a lifesaver as far as I'm concerned. Sure is a SOB to back up, though.

Gary
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
Old 11-07-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Invest in a set of Spurs and forget about the problem!

Gary
The bass fishing has been terrible the last few years up here. 10 years ago I would catch 20 fish a night, I catch and release. This year I caught 0 all year!
I suspected the commercial harvest in the Hudson and Chessy.
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 11-07-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Last time I was up your way, it was mentioned that many of the lobster fishermen were using steel cable on their trap lines. If this is true, even cutters won't help, and if the pots are in a navigable channel, I would think the fishermen would be liable for damage to your vessel. One trip from Newport to Providence, though I remained within the buoyed shipping channel, there was no clear path up the bay. I understand these guys want to make a living, but they should leave others some channel through the waters they wish to fish in.
As for the weed, I'd never heard of it before your post, so I've no thoughts there.
Old 11-08-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
Invest in a set of Spurs and forget about the problem!

Gary
The bass fishing has been terrible the last few years up here. 10 years ago I would catch 20 fish a night, I catch and release. This year I caught 0 all year!
I suspected the commercial harvest in the Hudson and Chessy.
Jim
This year's school of new stripers on the Upper Chesapeake .... very very few to almost NONE! .... of the few being caught almost all are extremely small and underweight, VERY FEW 'keepers'. At least the few 'keepers' arent wormy.

I havent seen striper (called 'rockfish' in Mer'lin) fishing this bad since the late 1980s and then again back to the 60s when the Russian trawlers were sucking up every possible life form in the 'surf' along the NJ/DE/MD and VA coasts.

The turbidity on the Upper Bay for the past few years .... looks like diarrhea water that you can almost walk on. WE did have a severe duckweed problem this summer on the upper eastern shore; better than the usual highly toxic cyano-bacteria/algae blooms, I guess.

Last edited by RichH; 11-08-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Very disappointing
All the time and work that went into the most successful recovery program for fish wasted.
Jim
Old 11-08-2014

There really wasn't a lot of work that went into the recovery - they just passed a law that said you can't kill them for a couple years. Works every time. If you don't kill them, they can reproduce. Amazing how that works.

As for the Chesapeake Bay Cleanup Program - it's a joke, it has always been a farce, and nothing less. The bay will never be cleaner than it is right now. It don't take more money, it just needs a common sense approach, but because politics and big business in involved, it will never happen - ever.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.