Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
A Contrary Opinion

There are many people who come here, new to the sport, and life, of sailing. Some who are just getting their sealegs, learning, and gaining confidence in their skills. There are also some who look at sailing as heading off to tropical isles and an easy life. And some who have been sailing for many years, in many different ways. The point is, sailing means many different thiings to many different people.

By responding to the thread "Fight Club for Sailors", I sought to make just this point. Not only do I find stereotyping and categorizing distasteful. It can give a wrong impression to those just starting out in this wonderful activity. Because there is really only one thing that says a person is a sailor. And that is the competent handling and care of their vessel, of those aboard it, and consideration of those with whom they share the water.

It doesn't matter how or where you sail. I doesn't matter if you have every Jimmy Buffett song there is. Nor if you drink rum, or kool-aid. Neither does it matter if you have a Sunfish or an Oyster. All that counts, is that you handle what you have in a competent manner, and strive to learn more about doing so.

Sailing is about enjoying your time on the water. Whether alone or with family and friends. Be it cruising, racing, or watching a beautiful sunset hanging on the hook. There's no need to conform to anyone else's opinion of what is and isn't a sailor, be it mine or others. There is only the satisfaction you derive from the time spent on your boat. And that's kind of the whole point of being out there, don't you think?

I chose not to continue this point in the Fight Club thread because there was no tolerence of a contrary opinion. And one thing I do know about good sailors, they don't put down other sailors. If they see someone doing something wrong or unsafe, if they can, they try to help them, for Sailing is not only a sport, but a community as well.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
And now you know why I chose not to participate in your thread. I could suggest many different things for you to do, all of which you would take in a manner different from the way they were offered. Rather than bicker with you, I chose to offer my OPINION, in a different manner. You are more than welcome to your opinion, but that's all it is....your opinion. No more right, nor wrong than mine. Why you feel this need to disparge others who don't agree with you, is something for you to deal with, not I.

Regards,

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-19-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

As I said, I'm not going to bicker with you. You are entiled to your opinion. I will say though, that I have nothing to defend in the posts I make here, and I make them with the sincere hope they will help someone realize their dream. You can read what you wish into them, take my remarks out of context, or otherwise distort them. That's your privelege. I take from here what I find useful, and give back what I feel others might find useful. Whether they do or not, is inmaterial. The purpose of this forum is to ask questions, recieve answers, and take what you find helpful. I have agreed and disagreed with many things on here. Oddly enough, in 3 + years, I've had many a thank you from others for my advice.

Regards,

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-19-2006

pluscard is on a distinguished road
"It doesn't matter how or where you sail. I doesn't matter if you have every Jimmy Buffett song there is. Nor if you drink rum, or kool-aid. Neither does it matter if you have a Sunfish or an Oyster. All that counts, is that you handle what you have in a competent manner, and strive to learn more about doing so."

Something to the above...
Plus
Old 06-20-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Good on you, John.
Old 06-20-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Deja Vu

The so-called "Fight Club" thread reminds me of another thread that was quite "controversial" back about a year and half or so ago. It was a religious thread that really had no business on the board and was only very loosely associated with sailing. What reminds me of it is that it deteriorated into two or three posters going back and forth (which appears to be what FC has devolved into), convinced that they were right and anyone else who dared post something contrary was wrong.

John, you remind me of a fellow Sailnet member, 928frenzy, who tried mightily to argue rationally with these religious zealots, to no avail. No matter how reasoned or cogent his remarks, they would just come back and leap on him again.

You've stated your case well, and there are more of us out here in agreement than you think.
Old 06-21-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
I had intended to butt out of this thread. But Jay you are an idiot. You guys are so weak you have to start your own thread and cry about our thread. Have some Guts.
Hey, Surf, ease up.

I thank you for the post on my thread about cruising with kids, and I'm not in disagreement with you about sailing in strong stuff (I like it myself, as well as others on this board), but putting down others is lame. Your points should stand on their own, and not need slams or "I'm being prosecuted" fluff to crank up your number of views. It's super that you're passionate about sailing-- go for it. But put downs are a cop out, and throws everything you say into question. It's just a form of self-harm in the long run.

Fair (or strong) winds!

Jim H

p.s. sorry I'm not posting this in your fight club thread, but you're riding that thing pretty hard and I'd prefer to pass on it. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the kind words Jim. I agree with the essence of your point. However, I did read Jay's comments as an insult. This site is a Public Forum and is not controlled by any one sailor. But, out of deference to you I removed the comment.
As for the Fight Club thread, it's just fun and most people seem to get that. I created because I wanted to participate in a direct give and take... almost like instant messaging. Sorry if you think I am "riding it hard"

Last edited by Surfesq; 06-21-2006 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-21-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
One should always consider the source of any public statement. The words of a wise man will stand on their own. The rantings of a self centered blowhard know it all will collapse under their own weight.

pigslo
Old 06-21-2006
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Hopefully, most folks who post here are intelligent enough to take both threads for what they are. Yes I'm a newbie sailor with a total of three sailings under my vest but I'm not a newbie at life nor do I miss the point that for every action there is a consequence. The Fight Club thread is just that, a FIGHT CLUB. It's for those who wanna duke it out over different views of sailing and it's entirely VOLUNTARY. Ya don't have to read it or post in it and ya dang sure shouldn't take anything posted there personally.