Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006

SunnySideUp is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Parley,
Again thanks for all the info, I'm looking to move her in the next couple of days and setting up shop to start work. I'll keep you up to date on how it is going. May the wind be to your back and the sun on your face, Good sailing to you.

Sonny.
Old 10-05-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
Definitely heed SD's advice regarding "covering up", ALL OF IT. I even went to far as to tape the tyvek suit closed at the wrists and ankles.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2006

Cool Update

Hi everyone,
Will I have moved Sunnyside Up into a place were I can work on her with any problem from the dock master or the dry dock next door, my backyard.
She is still on her trailer but that is ok for now I can reach most of the area that need the work. I've put a canopy over her to keep out the weather.
I have started to sand her down and most of what look to blister are in fact a bad bottom-paint job. (were the paint dried with air behind it.) However there are some very big and very deep blister that are there.
In my younger days I did car body work in a paint shop. When we had this problem (thin fiberglass that would make a hole if you tried to float it out to match the rest of the car) we would reinforce and build it up from behind and then lay and new layer of glass on the front and float it out smooth to match.
My question is do you thank that will work in this case. Any thoughts

Thanks

I thank that I'm going to blog the repair work and post some picture as I go.
Old 10-26-2006

Sonny, congrats on taking the plunge. Best of luck with your project. Let us know if you post the process (I wish I had). Regarding your question, Dunno. Seems like overkill, but without really knowing the process nor the size/depth of the blister(s) nor the hull construction (cored/solid) it is impossible to address. My recommendation is to return it to its original intended construction. For me, this simply meant cutting out various size "disks" of fiberglass, wetting out, and using to bring any deep blisters back out to at least the outer most layers of original glass. I did this with the intent of my epoxy filler simply replacing the "lost" gel coat.
Old 10-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would use parley's technique and suggest that the largest disks go on first... that way, when you're sanding it fair, you're not sanding through the fibers on the larger disks and weakening the patch by doing so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2006

Question Pop

So I have sanded the foreword quarter of the starboard side, this is were some of the bigger blister are. My question is what is the best why to pop the blister without first putting a hole in the boat and second not getting the acidic fluid that is under pressure(200 psi according to West System Gel-coat Blister Diagnosis, Repair & Prevention book).

Anyway is it a grinding thing, a pock it with a sharp insterment thing, or just sand it down till the acid runs out and sprays you all over.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Scraping the blisters is often a good way to open them up and get rid of the fluid inside relatively safely. You do need to be in a Tyvek bunny suit with face mask respirator and such for complete safety. Fiberglass is nasty stuff...and you will itch for days if you're not sealed up in a bunny suit. Needless to say, gloves and such are also a necessity.

Electricity, powered grinders and sanders and high-pressure acid spray aren't a great combination in terms of safety IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-27-2006

...goes the weasel

Sonny, I popped mine with a utility knife. Luckily all mine were dry. I can only assume 1 of 2 things: 1) All blisters were due to air voids (unlikely, but possible); 2) The boat had been on the hard for almost 2 Sacramento, CA summers (we exceed 100 deg. often)(most likely). I also used the utility knife to "cut" away the blistered material. This was the method I finally ended up using. It was very easy. I was careful not to "dig in" to the substrate and pretty much let the blister decide what came off by holding the knife as close to parallel with the hull as possible. I tried a number of different methods including a dremel tool. That was pretty good, but way too easy to go deeper than necessary.

Fair sanding and following winds while you're at it.
Old 10-30-2006

Picture

Here is the frist blister that I poped and pilled back. Man it is big and deep. The rest are a little smaller. Sanding is going good it is the poping that will take some time.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/attach...1&d=1162242790
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blister_1.jpg (70.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-30-2006
Telstar 28

Not good...that blister is clearly into the laminate... UGH.

Telstar 28
New England