Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
Roger that. Thanks, SD and Sailing Fool (thanks for the link). I think I'll make one as I have materials on hand.

Also, I wanted to post this link. This is a guy who rebuilds, refurbishes older boats. He's done 2 Pearson Tritons and is now delving deep into an Allied Seabreaze. He has documented each step in stunning detail complete with explainations, tools used, and copius photos. Check it out.
www.triton381.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2006

SunnySideUp is on a distinguished road
sanding

it seam the more you sand the more you find. popingblister left and right.

Thanks for all the info.

Sonny.
Old 11-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
parley-

good site...thanks for the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
That may work but it may also be too rigid to fair a smooth curve on a hull.
I think for $50 they provide a product that has just the right amount of flex versus firmness - I got this product reference originally form one of the local hardcore racers. It is desigend to do this exact job...
Old 11-01-2006

Scott222 is on a distinguished road
I assume you have a trailer and will be doing work with it on trailer. It would be best to remove it from trailer and have it on stands,but if not it is doable on trailer but a bit harder. I did the bottom once of C25 on roller trailer and just moved boat back and forth on trailer as I worked on it. It went well but don't let anyone kid you it is labor intensive. IMHO it would be better to open blisters ASAP and let the drying process begin...Good Luck...Dave
Old 11-03-2006

SunnySideUp is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint

I know that this is into the future but I'm wondering about it now. Bottom paint after the gel-coat and what kind, hard antifouling, rosin based antifouling,fiberglass antifouling. The list just goes on. The real bad thing about all this is i want to keep the hull white, all the paints I've been looking at do not have that color. is there like a law that states you can't paint the bottom of your boat white.

Anyway just a thought.
Old 11-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are a few anti-fouling bottom paints that are available in white. The real problem with white hull paint is that any scum or growth really shows up quite readily and looks like crap. AFAIK, there are no laws regarding the coloration of boat hulls.

The paint I've decided to give a try is CopperCoat, which is a hard-epoxy based paint that ends up being about 85% pure copper by volume when it is applied to a boat's hull. It is a multi-year paint and unlike some of the other anti-fouling paints, not adversely affected if the boat is hauled from the water.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-03-2006

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
SD, is this the same paint that was once called CopperPoxy and advertised to last 10+ years? It was made on the NW coast and at one time had some difficulty with EPA approval. It had about the same percentage of copper and the color was ((suprise) copper!
Old 11-03-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS-ALAMO
SD, is this the same paint that was once called CopperPoxy and advertised to last 10+ years? It was made on the NW coast and at one time had some difficulty with EPA approval. It had about the same percentage of copper and the color was ((suprise) copper!
I don't believe so...as this is an English product, and was imported from across the pond.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-03-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
The paint you decide to use will be dependant upon 2 things: 1) where your boat is moored, and where you will be sailing, and 2) How you plan on using the boat (i.e. trailering, stay in water, trailering once in a while, etc...) The point here is if the boat will be hauled/trailered. You cannot do that with some paints. Check Practical Sailor mag. Last issue had a review of bottom paints by area. They seem to run this test every few issues and it seems to be ongoing testing. www.practical-sailor.com