Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2001

slbt is on a distinguished road
Television reception, antenna, aerial

Ahoy,
Has anyone fabricated an antenna that actually works at providing better tv reception. Please share your ideas. Thanks
Fair Winds,
slbt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2001

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
Television reception, antenna, aerial

Funny you should ask....I was messing around today and hooked my TV to my vhf coax and the picture was pretty darn good on 3 of the channel. A couple of others weren''t so good.
My mast is 47'' tall and the VHF antenna looks to be another 2'' taller. Not sure I recommend that...but I can''t see where it would hurt......

But I''m getting ready to get a Dantronics UFO like one of my friends her in the marina...he gets good reception on all the channels.
Old 08-07-2009

I33 is on a distinguished road
I like my boatenna

Of all the fancy, bulky, and powered antennas I have tried, I like the Boatenna best. Google it for their website.
Old 08-07-2009
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Smile Why not build one yourself

from an old bicycle rim. Check out this post. tv antenna

It's cheap, It is actually better for VHF reception. With digital TV signals, its it the UHF band. But the bicycle wheel will still do a good job.

Fair Winds
Dave
Old 08-07-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
TV Signals

So you're saying that it works with digital TV? do you still need a digital converter on an older TV? It doesn't sound right.
Old 08-07-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
I built an antenna about 12 years ago for about ten bucks. I looked at the one that West Marine carried (they don't market it anymore) for about $89.95. It was a simple dipole antenna fashioned out of two half circles of pieces of aluminum to make a complete circle insulated at the junctions. Another piece of aluminum forms the support across the center (attached to the two insulating pieces. I used little chunks of starboard for the insulators. Then a vertical piece attached to the center support attaches it to the mizzen mast. The one I built is about 2 feet in diameter. Size isn't terribly critical unless you're trying to tune to a very specific frequency. The TV spectrum is fairly wide and includes FM (between channels 6 and 7). I use a 300 ohm to 75 ohm impedance transfomer (Radio Shack) at the antenna and RG59 coax cable to come down inside the mast and route it forward to the TV.

It still works well after 12 years. With a digital TV I get about 4 or 5 stations, crystal clear, especially at night when I'm at the marina. Masts interfere, especially with the digital signal.

When we are out at anchor on the Chesapeake, we get upwards of 20 stations - again crystal clear. You don't need a 'digital' antenna. They still use the same frequencies, it's just a digital signal instead of an analog. That's why each station is able to fit 2 or 3 signals (e.g. 2-1; 2-2;2-3) where before the analog signal took the entire bandwidth they were allotted.

You could, I suppose, amplify the signal and be able to receive more stations. You cannot use an older TV without an analog to digital converter. Most, if not all, TV's sold in the last 3 or so years are digital capable. A small flat screen which would be good for most sailboats should cost in the neighborhood of $200. I think we paid $189.95 for ours at Circuit City before they went belly up.

We use an AB splitter to send the antenna signal either to our TV or the FM radio. Good strong signal on the FM even in the marina with all the masts.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-07-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nereussailor View Post
So you're saying that it works with digital TV? do you still need a digital converter on an older TV? It doesn't sound right.
Any standard TV antenna or reasonable facsimile will work with digital TV here in the USA. Older TV's and even some newer TV's that don't have a digital tuner built in still need an add on converter box. All TV's produced since March of last year for sale here do not need a converter box...and many produced from about 2001 on have the digital tuner built in as well.
If your TV has a tube rather than a flat panel...it will need any antenna and a converter box to get any reception now on your boat unless you are hooked up to cable at the dock or have a dish!
Old 08-07-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
A decent signal from the antenna is critical for DTV. With analog TV, if the signal was weak, you got some snow, but could still watch. With DTV, it's either perfect or unwatchable. In a slip, a small directional antenna can be aimed and will probably work fine. When cruising and at anchor or on a mooring when you are constantly swinging, an amplified omni-directional antenna is probably the best choice.
Old 08-07-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhello12 View Post
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
but sadly you are a spammer so we'll say goodbye.......

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-07-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i have an antenna from best buy that works okay. its basicly a bow tie ant on a plastic sheet. its very flat and i put it between the liner and deck, its not perfect but it works. i use a laptop with a tv tuner card feeding a mounted 15 inch monitor that runs on 12 volts. this works better than the powered dtv ant i have at home

antenna