Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006

infonote is on a distinguished road
Introduction to Sailing

Sailing began as a sport for wealthy persons at the end of the 19th century, when steam and diesal were starting to make sails redundant.

Full Article Here
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
That is simply not true at all. Yachting races were recorded as early as the 15th century. In the mid-nineteenth century, there was all kinds of working class yachting. In New York harbor for example, there were rowing and sailing races with working class teams sponsored by church groups, oyster men raced thier work boats, specialized workboats evolved into the sandbaggers which were raced by working watermen. The perimeter of New York City was dotted with 'liveries' that would rent small rowing and sailing craft to working folk of all stripes. Canoe clubs were everywhere and even a reasonably lower income person could and did often build sailing canoes and simple rowing and sailing craft from designs that were published in the newspapers of the day. Pictures of New York Harbor showed a harbor packed with small boats.

Sailing events were bet on extensively and news of these events were cover in the major newspapers in much the same way as baseball or basketball is covered today. In the mid to late 19th century, Yachting was far more democratic than it is today. Which is not to say that the wealthy did not engage in some very serious, high cost, high tech for the day yachting. But even those events were carried to the 'masses' in much the same way that working class folk, follow the millionaires who play football or race stockcars today.

We seem to have entered a period, when people entering sailing for the first time seem to expect boats to be a lot more sophisticated, to be comparatively new, and to provide all of the comforts of home. This, combined with the higher cost of our gadget grabbing lifestyles, has resulted in the price of boats going up to a level that is beyond the means of most middle class families. Kids used to instant gratification also seem to be drawn to more lively sports. I find this turn of events unfortunate because sailing is a sport that can deliver great quantities of healthy fun at whatever financial level it is pursued.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 06-27-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I believe infonote is just another spammer attempting to lure people into his advertisement-laced blog.
Old 06-27-2006

Spammer?

Do you even know what a spammer means.

I wrote the article, Google it if you want to check if it is original, and i decided to share it with a community which is related to the article.

I spend time writing the article, so if i can gain something from it, there is nothing wrong with it. Orf i am wrong?

Obviously if you point me to this site's terms of service, and show me i am not abiding to the rules, i will stop.

People are not forced to click to visit my blog in any way, so if they find it interesting, they will click, if not they do not click and view the rest of the article.

@Jeff: I will edit the article, as i did not know that there where sailing races in the 15th century.

With credit to you obviously.
Old 06-28-2006

ceberon is on a distinguished road
A person is usually called a spammer when:

1. Most of their posts point to some other site.
and
2. Their posts aren't very useful, or are inaccurate.

You have only posted a few times, and I already notice two posts which point towards your advertising blog. It is just considered bad form, and that's why you will get these types of replies. Especially since both times you have been corrected due to having poor information.
Old 06-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said ceberon... a person's motivation is pretty clear when most of their information is less than accurate and their posts point to their site... either they are a spammer or a trying to go on an ego trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-29-2006

"most of information is less than accurate".

Besides the competition part, point me to the rest of the info that is inaccurate. I spent my time writing this article, and i can use it as i wish. If you decide to write an article and post it here, then its your choice.

And like i mentioned in another post, i am waiting for your perfect article with no errors.
Old 06-29-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
"most of information is less than accurate". Sailing Dog

"Besides the competition part, point me to the rest of the info that is inaccurate." Infonote

Infonote, Sailing dog is right. Almost nothing in your statement is correct. "Sailing began as a sport for wealthy persons at the end of the 19th century"
Wrong. Sailing began several milennia BC and was used for commercial purposes on the Mediterranean and Gulf of Japan. Sailing as a sport for the wealthy goes back at least to the Egyptians where the wealthy used wind drive barges for recreational purposes.

"at the end of the 19th century, when steam and diesal were starting to make sails redundant." Wrong again, Steam was in wide spread use by the mid 19th century and Diesel (spelled Diesel not 'Diesal') did not come into widespread use until the early twentieth century.

Your article on dinghies has a similar level of accuracy.

I guess the point here is that the internet is quite a democratic media. Any one can post anything that they want, whether it is accurate or not. Forums like these are full of well meaning people posting what they believe to be accurate, but which is also often full of inaccuracies.

But that is a very different than operating a website that purports to be an authorative source for sailing information. When you opperate such a site with the sheer amount of disimformation as contained in your 'articles', it is really becomes a major diservice rather than an honest effort to help disseminate useful information.

I think that the point here is that if you want create a site for the purpose of providing useful information, then you really need to spend more time researching your information, so that it is closer to being vaguely accurate. If that is beyond your capability or beyond your sense of responsibility, then you had better get used to people being critical of your efforts.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 06-29-2006

Anyway my opinion differs but i will respect much more experienced sailnet members and stop promotion. I started by taking off ny signature.
Old 06-29-2006

patn44 is on a distinguished road
He who knows and knows he knows, is wise follow him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, is asleep, wake him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, is ignorant, teach him.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, is a fool, shun him.