Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2014

ericjackson227 is on a distinguished road
Mooring laws ??

I currently live in Daytona beach and was curious in the mooring laws and lives boards in the river? Is there a website that I can look at to figure out what's legal and what's not for where I can liveaboard and where I cant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2014
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring laws ??

No there isn't. It is not illegal to live aboard anywhere that I know of. Just keep your boat in decent shape, and don't anchor near big expensive homes for very long. I'm sure the LEO's will be kind enough to let you know when it's time to move along.

Sorry for being vague, but you're in Florida.

Ralph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-25-2014

ericjackson227 is on a distinguished road
Thanks RTB
Old 11-25-2014

billsull is on a distinguished road

You may want to add this website to your favorites list:

Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers, a/k/a the Salty Southeast Cruisers' Net

There's tons of info on this site about anchoring rights (and up to date ICW navigation info) in Florida and other states. RTB is correct about the Daytona area, but the Florida Pilot Mooring Field Program has allowed some other FL communities to write their own local mooring/anchoring/liveaboard regulations.

Boat/US did a lot of lobbying to fix some of the more restrictive language with respect to liveaboards from the Florida Pilot Mooring Field Program law. Here's a good summary of the issues:

http://www.boatus.com/Assets/www.boa...nformation.pdf

Here's a recap of another (failed) attempt to limit anchoring in southern FL counties. The folks with the expensive waterfront homes a powerful constituency, so this will come up again and again along our coasts.

Anti-Boating Legislation Defeated in Florida House: BoatUS Urges Caution in Anchoring Fight : BoatUS Press Room
WGEwald likes this.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-25-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Last I heard, FL passed a law making it legal for waterfront homeowners to hunt anchored boats. I think the daily bag limit is 12.

I'm not a FL guy, but it seems to be heading in the wrong direction down there, so just be mindful of the longer term, whatever you do.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-25-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Stand Your Water.. no wait.. there are a whole bunch of "Personal Defense " threads to help you fend them off. No problem.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Old 11-25-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

FWIW-
The FWC survey videos do (may?) not appear if you're using MSIE11 as the browser. I'm guessing that's because I have elevated security settings and there are cross-site links or some other vulnerability involved with them.
Old 11-26-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

In Maryland, you can install a mooring ball just about anywhere you wish, no permit required. Never checked into any other states about this, but I did check Florida's DFW site to see if they had a special permit for installing a private mooring ball. I couldn't find anything on this at all on the site.

I suspect that Florida, like some other greedy states, will likely prohibit the installation of a private mooring ball, whether or not you live aboard. Just a guess, though. Hey, Florida has some pretty high priced mooring fields in the keys that they keep filled with live aboards. But they really frown on anchoring in the same area for more than a couple weeks.

Gary
Old 11-26-2014

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
In Maryland, you can install a mooring ball just about anywhere you wish, no permit required:
Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating
Old 11-26-2014
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Gary is absolutely right about Maryland. Other than blocking channels or private property, there are really no rules about placing or maintaining mooring balls. In New England, by comparison, you need to register your ball and have it inspected at some interval. I guess in Maryland they assume you still need to access private property to dinghy out, so it limits the placement of permanent moorings. Likewise, I don't think that they have anything in place to restrict liveaboards provided they are not creating some kind of nuisance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
In Maryland, you can install a mooring ball just about anywhere you wish, no permit required. Never checked into any other states about this, but I did check Florida's DFW site to see if they had a special permit for installing a private mooring ball. I couldn't find anything on this at all on the site.

I suspect that Florida, like some other greedy states, will likely prohibit the installation of a private mooring ball, whether or not you live aboard. Just a guess, though. Hey, Florida has some pretty high priced mooring fields in the keys that they keep filled with live aboards. But they really frown on anchoring in the same area for more than a couple weeks.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.