Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006

sailingforever is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailingforever Send a message via MSN to sailingforever
Question a boat for someone else.

A friend of my parents wants to buy a sailboat; and since I am the only one in the family who knows about sailboats, they asked me to help.
They want to be able to trailor it and sail it easily while fishing, and they also would like to be able to row it. As I've only ever done boat researching for myself, I have no idea. After I speak to them about it I will have more information.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Did you have a size of boat in mind... anything longer than 26' is probably not rowable, but might be movable via sculling oar setup on stern. The trailerables are pretty much 28' or less. Did you want a multihull or monohull. Multihulls might make better fishing platforms, but unlikely you could row or scull one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-01-2006

Send a message via AIM to sailingforever Send a message via MSN to sailingforever
I think they want around 16 ft
Old 07-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Next question, do they want one that has a cuddy cabin or cabin of any sort—to overnight with occasionally, or one that is just completely open, for daysailing only.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-02-2006

I think they want one for just daysailing, but room to store fishing stuff
Old 07-06-2006

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
Compac 16 is a sweet little boat.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac16106.html
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick
Old 07-06-2006

tckenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tckenny Send a message via Yahoo to tckenny Send a message via Skype™ to tckenny
If they think they might like something a bit larger, I have a Hunter 27, Really a nice boat and really easy to sail. Priced right and ready to go
Old 07-19-2006

resdog is on a distinguished road
Phil Bolger designed quite a few boats such as you have described. None of them were production boats. They were sold as DIY plans. There are several Rhodes groups/forums with boats for sale.
Old 07-19-2006

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Trailerable Hunter

Hunter makes a 17 footer for about $8000 new without trailer. They also make a 21 which has a cabin where they can place a port-a-pot and extra gear. I would recommend that they invest in a tiller pilot. They can troll and not have to take turns at the tiller

I have a 26' Macgregor water ballasted trailer sailor which is roomy and can be purched used for under about $7000 but would be difficult to row and might be scary for them to tow (although it's no problem).

Better than rowing, they might create a scull to move the boat. I can skull mine with the stock rudder at about a knot (bad for the rudder though).

Here's a link;
http://www.huntermarine.com/models/index.html
Old 07-19-2006
Telstar 28

West Wight Potters and Drascombe Luggers are good choices and fairly small and trailerable. If you want a good resource, I'd recommend you check out Small Craft Advisor magazine, as they specialize in sub-28' craft.

Telstar 28
New England