Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
America's cup, BERMUDA??????????????

Apparently Larry Ellison has chosen Bermuda as the venue for the next America's Cup races.
The Cup remains in the hands of a man who cares nothing for the country and people that made him so rich. Obviously, this is his way of keeping the riffraff away, so only the wealthy can enjoy this, the grandest of sailing races, first hand. Bravo, Mr. Elitist Ellison.
It is the first time in the history of the Cup that a US team has decided to defend the Cup outside their own country.
What an a$$hole!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2014

Dog8It is on a distinguished road
Re: America's cup, BERMUDA??????????????

Sad, just plain sad.

Chris Caswell sums it up pretty well in the current edition of Sailing: It's nothing new that America's Cup shenanigans stack the deck
Slayer likes this.

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-04-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

It'll probably end up as an easy win for Oracle because the talk in New Zealand (from the biggest supporter in government) is that the AC being held in Bermuda does not sit well with the NZ government (major sponsor), their view being that racing in the heartland of the rich and famous does not send the right message to the population of NZ.

So there is a very real possibility that ETNZ will not be there.

So that may be the end of ETNZ forever - they depend very heavily on government funding.

Bermuda is not even American ferkrisake, it's British territory - how the heck does an American defender justify not holding the AC in their own country? Probably riding on the back of Alinghi not holding the AC in Switzerland. Well, duh!!

Quite honestly, while I have been a keen supporter of AC over the years, I'm over Oracle, Coutts and Ellison and all their tricks and subterfuge - half of me says let them get on with it - we (NZ) will get on with something else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-04-2014

Pegu club is on a distinguished road

They should have dictated monos in one of the Great Lakes... jmo.
1975 B-24 #578
A slave to the wind
Old 12-04-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

AC on the Great Lakes would be wonderful...

Seriously though, I lost all interest in AC when the boats stopped looking like boats and turned into low flying airplanes with sails. I was honestly routing for NZ last time as they had the intention of "returning the cup to sane levels"

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 12-04-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

last time I enjoyed watching the americas cup was when nz black magic whipped some ass...yes monohulls yes tight racing and yes good action

everything since has been plain retarded, mostly ellisson big money and shennanigans

when money became the key factor and mediatic hooplah was the name of the game it just lost it...

even when it came to san fran where I saild a looooooong time and couldnt be there I really didnt feel bad about it at all

I despies oracle and ellison and think they have ruined as well as all the other guys who became big headed and stubborn and $$$$$$$$$$$ diggers like coutts and all the other old dogs who just play for money

lastly the only thing exciting for me this time around will be ben ainsle who seems a little more down to earth and hasnt sold his soul to the "oracles" yet

well see

bermuda schumda doesnt make a diffference what does it what has become of the cup not necessarily the place its defended

for what its worth Id take it over san diego in a heartbeat...thats just me though

peace

Old 12-04-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

The race organizers probably own a load of stock in the airlines that fly to Bermuda.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 12-04-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

I agree it should be held in the united states by the old rules the race must be held in the defending country. Most ppl now days don't realise the name america in the cup isn't for the country but for the name of the first non British challenger to win the race
" It was originally called, "The Guinea Cup" by the Royal Yacht Squadron of Great Britain, which invited the Americans to send a boat to compete in a race around the Isle of Wight. This was held in conjunction with the International Exposition going on in London's Crystal Palace in 1851.** So... Americans, not afraid of a challenge said, "Sure."* ** It was actually John C. Stevens, Commodore of the New York Yacht Club who agreed to race.* He formed a syndicate to finance the building of a new yacht with the latest technology to take on the world. On August 22nd 1851, at exactly 1000, a gun fired by the Royal Yacht Squadron signaled the start of a race that would change the history of yachting.

The boat was designed by by George Steers and built by William H. Brown.* It was a 100-foot schooner and named, "America."* Her start wasn't impressive in the 53-mile course.* But like the turtle and the hare, well,* by the end of the race she ended up so far ahead of all the other competitors " excerpt from America's Cup History plus Statistics by Brownielocks
christian.hess likes this.

Old 12-04-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu club View Post
They should have dictated monos in one of the Great Lakes... jmo.
Optimist prams on Lake Superior. That'd show who's got the sailing chops.

Last edited by Minnesail; 12-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2014
I break <-> I fix

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Honestly I don't really get the huge AC bashing. Best I can tell the AC has always been about the technology, and who can exploit the rules best. The absolute best races were when the best sailors won with the boats that were using the older technology.

It's always been an ARMS race, and honestly putting it in a venue that is less about nationality, and more about the venue, is really more in line with teams that are themselves multi-national.

Besides, a bunch of you will make an excuse to travel to Bermuda to see it anyway, and why not, its a great sailing location!

If you folks want honest to goodness sailor on sailor racing, go see the J/70 worlds, or frankly ANY One Design national series. Then it's all about the people, and not about the boats (unless of course someone constructs a carbon fiber - whatever).. Sorry I digress.
RichH likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.