Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Multihullgirl
  • 1 Post By eherlihy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago

boatboy132 is on a distinguished road
Stereo install

Hey guys

Ive got a question about stereo on boats, so im looking to install a stereo on my shark24 with cockpit speakers, just want to get advice on how other people have done there boats,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 1 Week Ago
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Stereo install

BOSE SoundLink Mini Bluetooth speaker. Charge the speaker, turn it on, link your phone to it and tell the phone to play music. Done.

Weighs little. Low draw when recharging. No holes in the boat. No having to route wires.
CarbonSink62 likes this.
RichH (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

small boat.... I used one of the iPod boom boxes...they were great, and even on battery power (recharge) would last most of the day.

a bit bigger boat, with batteries and charger.... I use regular car stereo decks and either alpine or polk speakers. Theses decks last as long or longer than "marine" decks. Get one with a remote if you can.

big boat or my liveaboard boat.... I just used the decades old Bang&Olufsen 5000 Receiver and wired speakers where I wanted them. I had a switch to tap in to the Hunter audio and my audio. I added an ipod dock and really used the remote.

all the best.
Old 1 Week Ago

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

It is kinda hard to beat the bluetooth speakers coming out these days.. I've always installed speakers behind inspection ports on the boats we've owned, and that works well if you really want those kinds of watts, but it is a lot of work..

Ray
Old 1 Week Ago
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

This has already been hinted at by the previous replies, but I'll express it clearly; don't put unnecessary holes in the boat. You risk creating leaks that will drive you nuts, and lower the resale value of the boat. Cockpit speakers on a 24' foot boat are unnecessary.

Go with a boom box (~$50), or bluetooth speaker (>$150). NO holes in boat, NO wires, NO installation headaches. When it breaks, throw it away, and buy a new one.

Reminds me of this;

Captainmeme likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 1 Week Ago
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

24' really kind of is the cutoff size for a dedicated stereo. I'm with you though I'd like tunes while sailing.. I get enough charging between the outboard and a small solar panel that as long as the stereo isn't a 200watt monster, its pretty easy on the battery.

I was going to get 4 standard inspection ports larger than the speakers I am getting. I need to put inspection ports in anyway, to get to my motor mount and the new swim ladder I am installing. So I figured I'd buy 4 inspection ports... install 2, keep 2 for the extra plates. I'll install the ports where I need them on the transom and do the work I need to do... when I am done I'll cut the speaker holes into the plates and mount the speakers... at any point if I sell the boat I'll provide the extra plates without speakers as part of the deal. This is on a long list of projects I am doing to my boat this winter.

I also agree with others that if the head unit is below, a standard car unit is fine. Definitely want a remote, but I'll add that the remote needs to be able to easily hit the unit from the cockpit (facing you). I'd do wall mounted speakers for down below, like bracketed bookshelf speakers.

I'm also going to opt for NO CD option for the stereo... just needs bluetooth, AM/FM and some kind of USB or SD card option as well as AUX in.

I'll link to the stereo and speakers I had on my list..
JVC KD-X310BT Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
This are tiny speakers... so that I can use smaller inspection ports (6")...
Kicker KM44CW 4" 2-way marine speakers (4-ohm) at Crutchfield.com

Also these seem to have a moderate amount of shielding around them. going to experiment to make sure it won't interfere with the tiller pilot as they'll be about 3 feet from the tiller pilot.

I used 4 ohm bookshelf pyle speakers on my last 25 footer, mounted them pointing towards the cockpit, using a 40watt stereo... and it was pretty quiet when the winds were over say 12 knots, and it drained the battery quick... I wound up adding a 100watt amp so I could hear it, which of course drained the battery quicker.

So the idea is to get the sound closer, therefore not as loud, therefore not as hard on the battery.

I've used several bluetooth speakers, and honestly, none of them impress me, and a good one will run you more than what I am proposing doing.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 1 Week Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

You can make a nice slide that fits in the companionway with a couple of speakers in it. Works great on small boats.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 Week Ago

wristwister is on a distinguished road

One more piece of advice, keep the speakers and the stereo faaaaaar away from the compass. Don't permanently mount anything till you see what the effect on the compass is. Yes, I learned this one the hard way.

Also, if you're going to mount speakers in the cockpit, pay attention to where people normally sit. I mounted mine on the cabin bulkhead, and it turns out that sitting against that bulkhead is the most popular passenger position, blocking the speakers.

Tags
shark24 , stereo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.