SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Yacht Import to Australia (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/17833-yacht-import-australia.html)

Nick01 07-02-2006 02:19 AM

Yacht Import to Australia

Hi,
I live on the Gold Coast, Queensland , Australia.
I am interested in acquiring a small motor sailer such as Gulf 27 or 29 which I have seen advertised in the States.
I am finding it difficult to obtain information on how I would go about shipping it to Australia and whether the cost would be prohibitive relative to the coast of the boat.
I anyone has any experience or knowledge of which companys to approach or approximate transport cost I would be really gratefull.
The Gulfs I have seen advertised are in Washington state and Florida.

AlanGluyas 07-02-2006 07:05 AM

Hi Nick, we have just bought a Cabo Rico 38 sailboat in Virginia and we expect it to get to Fremantle (by ship) on Aug 2nd.

I looked at sailing it back ( did not have time ), importing it myself ( also not enough time and no local US contacts) and ended up buying through Yarras Edge Yachts in Melbourne. Importing the boat was not a cheap exercise, but it is a thing full of pitfalls if you try and do it yourself.

We have just sold our Catalina 310 in Fremantle and we have met people through the Catalina association who have imported their own boats recently. They were talking numbers around AUD$100k to bring the boat back themselves, all up. There are import duties, GST, freight, wharfage, transport to the load port, cost of cradle, unshipping and packing mast, fumigation, the list goes on. Bring our boat back cost us more than $100k, but we did not have any running around to do. I surveyed the boat in the US before committing ( I am a marine surveyor ) but Yarras Edge will do this and it is not necessary to make the trip personnally. I am not sure it would be cost effective on a very low priced boat, as the shipping costs are not going to be much less than for a more expensive boat and you may wind up with a theoretical capital loss. This may not be important to you.

It would be worth talking to Graham or Bruce at Yarras Edge in Melbourne just to get a second opinion. They are quite a straightforward bunch and I have not have any negative feedback from other cutomers I spoke to before we bought.

If you have any specific questions, let me know./

Cheers

Alan Gluyas
Fremantle

sailorjim99 07-02-2006 09:32 AM

Hi Nick
What Alan said is pretty close to what I was told. Not a cheap exercise.
I am going to the States next year to buy one but I will be sailing it back as an adventutre type trip.
I expect to spend big bucks making it seaworthy etc and if I sell it here I probably will break even. (But it is the journey, not the destination).
If you get this months CRUISING HELMSMAN(Aust. version) it has a story on the costs etc.
Regards
Jim.

sailingdog 07-02-2006 10:38 AM

SailorJim-

Sounds like a good plan...and a challenging trip. Just remember, if you're buying a boat to make money, you're in the wrong business.

:D

Fair winds, and let us know how it goes.

sailorjim99 07-03-2006 07:17 PM

G'day Sailingdog
Mate, the first thing I ever learned about boats is, it will cost twice as much and take three times as long as planned.
This is in the planning stage and all looks on course..So far.
Keep watching this site and if it does take off, you will know about it.:)

sailingdog 07-04-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorjim99
G'day Sailingdog
Mate, the first thing I ever learned about boats is, it will cost twice as much and take three times as long as planned.

Glad you learned that early... :D

Nick01 07-09-2006 04:08 AM

Thanks for the replies

Thanks Allan for the information.
If I was to purchase a yacht in Aus I would be looking at around $40k or thereabouts. After trolling US sites I thought there may be the opportunity to get more bang for the bucks but I guess the reality of the situation is not the case and I do not have the time or experience yet to attempt a Pacific crossing.
Back to the drawing board.