Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Red: You make some valid points and it sounds like you have some interesting experiences. Crossing the Pacific without a lot of experience is a significant undertaking. Yes, a weekend on the Bay is not cruising. (But it's fun).
I also have a lot of blue water experience and I agree its nothing to take lightly. I sailed to Bermuda and on to the Islands the first time at age 21 so in my opinion 24 is not too young. I do not think cruising is just for the rich. Maybe you just have forgotten how little you need when you are a kid.

Last edited by Surfesq; 07-05-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Jeff Jeff Jeff, stick with the wood boats buddy

Don't get me wrong, I love wood boats, I grew up on them. But you clearly don;t know what makes a good fiberglass boat. The Newport 41 is built like a tank. A fast tank yes, but a tank none the less. 18000lbs, 8000 of it ballast, rod rigging, narrow, low freeboard, the cockpit is big I know but well protected none the less, my MKII riudder keeps her in control on any wave face, she's the best of the old and the new designs. No, she isn't purpose built for offshore, but I have talked with some of the best naval architects and some of the mosr seasoned bluewater cruisers, and funny, they all liked it. Guess you know more them then hey? Thanks for the reply none then less but do your research before you tear into my boat
Old 07-05-2006

JeffH: A humiliating blowback! lol. As I have said before, you have very strong opinions. But opinions are just that.

NP41: Practical Sailor loves your boat. (I think a tad more reliable than JeffH). Here is a link to their review wherein the owners point out a 1000 mile trip to Hawii which was quite comfortable. Looks like you have a pretty sweet boat there.

http://www.davidshore.com/Maestro/Newport41PSReview.pdf
Old 07-05-2006

Dude...I know Pirates Booty would love to "crew" for you. You should check her out....
Old 07-05-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Wink Why not?

At last a man who sails and is under 30 - am I dreaming?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pirate' s Booty
Old 07-05-2006

Now I know what the "booty" stands for......
Old 07-05-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Newport 41,

I have raced and sailed these boats since before you were born, racing them back when they were new and many times since. I still have the scar on my leg gotten when the spinnaker turning block pulled out of the deck on one taking a chunk of deck with it. I have jammed sailbags into the forepeak to reduce the amount that the bow sections were panting. I have personally repaired these puppies when they came apart.

The hulls Iíve cut into were crudely laid up, resin rich in places, resin lean in others, with, by any reasonable standard, proportionately large amounts of non-directional fabric. The epitome of how to build a fatigue prone boat, and we are now discussion a fatigue prone hull, that is now 30 plus years old.

These are good boats upwind, but get into big quartering sea and they become an absolute bear to sail, especially shorthanded, wandering in ways that their small rudders (even the MK11, which was only slightly better) can't begin to deal with. These are extremely high rigging load designs that place extremely high point loads into very concentrated areas of the hull and require the kind of strength to sail that really grinds down a crew in changeable conditions.

I don't who your so called "best naval architects" are or whether they have actually spent a moment's time sailing these old girls, trying to keep them together, or putting them back together, or fought their way through a storm in one, or personally ground into the voids and resin pools in their lay-up with their own hands, but I will stand by my own personal experiences with these boats and what I have seen with my own eyes.

And yes, I know that some of these boats have done some very long distance cruising, and, yes, I know there are some very large variations in build quality over the production run of these boats with some of the later boats being better built than the early and last boats, and yes, you may have actually gotten the only one that actually was built like a tank, but the last time we had this discussion one of the folks that had actually done the Pacific on one came into the discussion and described completely reinforcing the hull to deck joint, adding bulkheads and reglassing the existing bulkheads back in, and building a new rudder in paradise trying to keep his boat together.

Look Kid, I have owned, cruised, raced, and designed, built and repaired wood, steel, ferro cement and fiberglass boats for nearly twice your lifespan. I know what makes a good fiberglass boat and if you listen you might actually learn something here. Tons of poorly laid up fiberglass does not a good fiberglass boat make. Proper engineering, good resin and fabric handling, proper internal framing, and proper resin ratio's make a good fiberglass boat. The Newport 41's that I have spent time with were just plain crudely built. They were fine for what they were built for, but you are mistaken if you think they are rugged or even heavily built. The Newport 41 is not especially heavy for a 41 foot boat (1500 lbs lighter with a 1000 lbs less ballast than the 5 inches longer better framed Beneteau 42) and certainly not robust, and certainly not tank like.

While C&C was at the top of their form when they designed the Newport 41, and the 41's were great bargain basement race boats for their day, they in no way belong on the pinnacle that you have placed them. I will pass back to you your own advice, do your own research with someone who actually knows these boats inside and out before spouting off. Mouthing off, you only show your ignorance.

BUT In any event, my point in my original post was to answer your question as best I could, and not to suggest whether you should go off cruising or not, or for that matter whether suggest that your boat is the right boat for you or not. My comments were simply to note that you, like many people your age seem to chose larger boats than were chosen by people your age a few generations back, and that this generation often chooses from bigger, obsolete old race boats with all of their liabilities. My comments were not meant as a value judgment; they were meant as simple observation.

Jeff
Old 07-05-2006

snider is on a distinguished road
25 yo

I'm 25 abd I've been planning and getting everything together to go cruising for about five years now, left my job for a career better suited for travel, went back to school, finishing up now and looking at boats. I'd like a pacific seacraft 34, but it's a little more than I want to pay. I'd love to find a good 28 to 32 footer. Even looked at tha Dana 24, but as I'll be living aboard and stopping to work once in a while I like to have a little bigger. I also would like to also be able to take on two or three crew from time to time. I'll have the boat early next year, and be off within a year, doing some coastal rips and the Bahamas in the time being. Good Luck, I'll see ya on the water.
Old 07-05-2006

Newport 41....
You got faced! Awesome.....
Who knows, its the internet. Jeff could be just making all of it up! (I doubt it but it would be kind of cool if he was just completely BS'ing you).
One thing I would add to what Jeff is saying is that for every boat out there you will find at least one peson who has sailed it across an ocean.
On my Fight Club thread, I told a story about a kid I encountered in Puerto Rico a few years ago. (I go for a month to surf every winter). But it has relevance to this discussion and Jeff's point.
I was sitting on my buddies dive boat drinking an El Presidente, (we had just returned from a dive), when this guy sails up in a 20 foot daysailor with an outboard. He asks if he can tie off. Over a beer he proceeds to tell us that he had just arrived from Africa and was looking to sell his boat for the price of plane ticket back to Germany. True Story! You see the story begs the question, did the fact that he had just crossed an ocean make his 20 footer a good blue water boat? When you think about this story...you can start to see Jeff's point.
A fin keel boat like yours will always give you an ass kicking at sea when heading up wind. It's just a fact. A full keel boat is more comfortable. That is why true ocean going boats like Island Packets for example utilize a full keel design. You have a nice and very fast boat. It just may not be a very comfortable ride out there in the Pacific.
Old 07-05-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Let me know what you sail so I can tear a strip off it

Jeff,

I don't mean to disregard your opinions. You do seem to know what you're talking about for the most part. Yes there have been some badly made Newports and yes the fiberglass is primative. Mine was built much later in the production run and the resin pockets and bad lay up you speak of don't seem to be a problem with mine, although she is an inch thick below the water line. I have installed large backing plates on high stress areas so that I won't get a scar from any fittings ripping out of the deck. With the deep keel (6ft) and the mkII rudder she handles well even with my brother flying the chute way too high as he often does and a fifteen foot following sea. I know 18000lbs isn't really heavy. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was refering to the ballast ratio. Speaking of numbers, I'll let you look up the ultimate stability rating yourself. And I appreciate that you've sailed these before but I own one, and it isn't older than I am like the one's you've been on. She's not perfect. I've made a lot of modifications. To say that she's poorly built is unfair and you have to admit the hull design is one of C&C's better. You can't blame a sailor for getting defensive about his Vessel. As for the size and the comments about the cost. Well, she was bigger than I was looking for, but I went for a sail on her and fell in love, you've sailed them so you know how they move. As for people's coments about the cost of cruising. I's been a long road to get here. The boat I bought has been offshore recently and has extensive equipment uncluding monitor wind vane, good sails, and various electronics. The best part is the set up is exactly what I wanted. Simple. Simple basic systems, no fancy chart plotters and air conditioning. I'm young with a young crew. We can rough it, to a point. She still needs a lot of work but at may age you can afford these things when you don't have a lot of other financial obligations. I also work as a forest firefighter for the government so I make good money and have the winter to ge the boat ready. Thanks again for the entertaining discussion.