Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
Yo Surf!

A delightful area thats on a coast that I don't often get to play on.
Funny story: off topic for this thread: first time on a sailboat in St. Thomas.

Ang and I (yes the same wife I have now) board the "True Love" a John G. Alden Malabar IX (reputed to be his personal boat when launched from Nevins yard) a crewed charter in St Thomas. The first thing I do when boarding a boat in an unfamiliar area is ask to look at the local charts. (Yeah yeah I saw the ******* thread on gps vs other stuff) when I did, the skipper causually waved down below and said "there down there somewhere I think". At that point I asked him how the hell he found his way around and he said " See that (pointing just ahead) thats St. John, see that (Pointing to the left) thats Virgin Gorda" and so on, and so on. LOL! Ya cant do that out here on the West Coast! Different areas require different techniques. Local knowledge is better than anything else!

Dewey
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2006

Wrafl is on a distinguished road
Pehaps you may want to check this site, http://www.atomvoyages.com/.
James Baldwin went on a circumanvigation while he was in his early 20s and have completed 2 circumnavigation. Visit his website as it's worth reading and learning at the same time.
Old 07-07-2006

Wrafl is on a distinguished road
Check this site, http://www.atomvoyages.com/. James Baldwin started sailing in his early 20's. Interesting reading and learning site. Have dreamed of circumnavigating on a small boat perhaps one day. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
A lot of us dream of cruising at an early age, but the truth is that most do not have the resources to do so. The cost of cruising, maintenance, slip fees, etc., with out any income coming in stops most sailors right in their tacks. Getting married and raising a family tends to get in the way as well.

That's why I think you see so many of, how did you say it, GEEZERS out cruising. Most wait until the kids are grown and have reached retirement age.

If you have the means and no ties, I say go for it. Why not.

I look forward to the day when the kids are grown and I am no longer working, untill than, I will continue with my wekend trips and my (2) week cruises twice a year. Happy cruising!
Old 07-07-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
There is also a great book written by a woman who was the youngest woman to circumnavigate the globe. The book is about her trip. I can't remember the name of it but she was 18 years old. It's a great book. I will see if I can find it tonight.
The cost of cruising has become more expensive that it was almost thirty years ago when I first did it full time. Now to really sound like a geezer, you could provide food for yourself by fishing and foraging on the islands. Those days are clearly gone so in a sense I agree with Sailortjk. However, I continue to maintain that a 24 year old man has a much lower level of comfort needs than a 45-60 year old man. As a result, he will naturally cruise for less money! It's a great topic to kick around.
Old 07-07-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Fish = food

About eating fish - it is so easy to catch them when you are in the right spot. I went on one of those overnight party boats that drives out at night and you fish when you get up around 5am - I am not even a great fisher and I caught enough fish in about 5-6 hours to last me and one other person for a whole week of dinners.

I also ate some of the fish raw and it was pretty good too - would have been better with some fresh lime and salt, but when I am hungry I am not too picky.

For a guy like you, I think the main thing you may need to stock is beer - just get it on sale and you will be fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pirate' s Booty
Old 07-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
There is also a great book written by a woman who was the youngest woman to circumnavigate the globe. The book is about her trip. I can't remember the name of it but she was 18 years old. It's a great book. I will see if I can find it tonight.
The cost of cruising has become more expensive that it was almost thirty years ago when I first did it full time. Now to really sound like a geezer, you could provide food for yourself by fishing and foraging on the islands. Those days are clearly gone so in a sense I agree with Sailortjk. However, I continue to maintain that a 24 year old man has a much lower level of comfort needs than a 45-60 year old man. As a result, he will naturally cruise for less money! It's a great topic to kick around.
Hmm... Do you mean Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi??? Excellent read... Her new book is also quite good... it's titled "I've Been Around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Yes...That's it. Actually I think she allowed her boyfriend to join her for one leg so she could not get the record right?
Raw Fish on a boat off California...I hope you squeezed a little lemon on it to cook it before consuming it. You do like to live dangerously....(Sushi is flash frozen to kill those pesky critters that grow to the length of your intestines).
Old 07-07-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Good to know - I seem to be attracted to critters - or maybe they are attracted to me... Hmmmm.

What happened to the Canadian?

Pirate' s Booty
Old 07-07-2006
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
http://www.atomvoyages.com/
All that in a....gasp.....CCA boat. A 28 footer at that! Does Jeff H. know about this? Did Hell freeze over!??!?! OMG!!! Somebody call the Pentagon!