Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006
Sailor

banshee is on a distinguished road
just how old do you have to be to qualify as a 'foggey'?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
First off, foggyhood is an attitude, not an age.

The one thing that has kind of gotten left in the dust here is that in many ways the biggest factor in boat choice is basically emotional. While there are many objective factors in the decision, I believe many people will go with the boat that appeals to them in a subjective way, if the objective matters are sufficent to what they want. Not many people will buy a boat that to them, is ugly, just because it's the best choice. Plus, there are also those who are "wedded" to certain features, be it keel shape, skeg hung rudder, etc..

My 2 cents on the keel question is based on nothing but simple logic. I have no expertise in the area, but it seems that keel shape/type, would have little to do with motion, as the primary forces are bow on. Hull form and displacement, as well as weight distribution would seem to be the major factors. As I say though, that's just from an aspect of simple logic.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Surfesq

You are a refreshing voice here - though I see you are a senior member and have been around. I do not agree with all you say, but I like your spunk.

I think you should not discredit the geezers who are not out world cruising. Each of us reach our own comfort level with the sport and what is wrong with that?

Jeff H is a storehouse of knowledge, but you are correct that he can be biased. A year ago, after buying a new boat, he and another member trashed my choice. At this point I could not be more thrilled with the boat I bought. Sometimes Jeff does not realize that many of us do know boats and their construction - maybe not as completely as he does - but we are not idiots.
Old 07-14-2006
Grampian 26 Owner

sidiag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog

Also, USCG documented boats often do not have to be state-registered or display state registration numbers on the bow (which I think are really ugly).
Here in Indiana they have to registered but NOT state numbered. The state gives you (for the payment of tribute) the square sticker that needs to be places upon both sides of the bow.

Very few states require nothing

It is all about the collection of Rectangular Dollars for Very Important Programs to spend more Rectangular Dollars for more Very . . .

Anyway I digress - the little sticker is no where as ugly as those numbers.

Stan G.
s/v Tryphena a '74 Grampian 26
-------------

Old 07-14-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Hi Irwin 32. I think you missed the point slightly but I understand what you are saying. The geezers are not necessarily old They could be young like PBZeer. They are just old in spirit and criticize anyone who enjoys adrenalin or taking chances. Right out of the gate there were a ton of crackpots who started taking shots at me on the Fight Club thread because they lacked the ability to see the humor in it or the ability to laugh at themselves...

But I also recognize that we can't all be out there cruising the world. As I have pointed out I have a 5 year old unexpected anchor that keeps me in Port more than I would like. But that's life right?

As for Jeff H. I kid him, he kids me...but I really respect his viewpoint and love reading his threads. What annoys and amuses me is that he just comes right out and hammers people for the boat choices they make. That is why when I get the chance to rip him I take it. Plus he is so serious that its just too much fun to get him going. But I don't dislike him.
Old 07-15-2006

Hey Newport 41!

This is your thread after all. Here is an excellent article that I think goes to the heart of what you were asking. It makes the simple point that you can cruise for far less than the curmudgeons who have brain-washed by advertising believe. Enjoy.

http://www.selfsteer.com/pdfs/GOB_ND05_Martin.pdf
Old 07-16-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Just for the record, I'm not a geezer, I'm a fuddy-duddy. Neither am I particularly young, having been born in the first half of the last century. It would be nice if you would take my posts in context, before attaching your labels though. What I SAID was....."if an adrenline rush is all you look for". That doesn't mean you have to avoid those situations, it means that shouldn't be all there is to it. You defined a sailor, I gave a counter definition. But, since you are so much smarter, wiser, knowledgable, and an all-a-round sailing guru, you had to belittle anyone who didn't agree with you. But that's okay, you go right ahead, it will give me something to chuckle about.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-17-2006

The fact that I am smarter, wiser and more knowledgeable than you is not what makes me a superior sailing guru. Its the fact that I sail once in a while. lol. But I am glad that you still find things to chuckle at at your age!
Old 07-17-2006

kevlarpirate is on a distinguished road
Newport 41

I have read your comments on the 41 and interestingly enough I have come across someone else in your area who gave some negative comments about this boat. Apparently at least a few that were delivered to the East coast have some issues and I don’t doubt the information. I have owned a 1973 41 Newport for 20 years. I am an engineer with structural and materials background and a lot of hands on experience with fiberglass
metals and such. I am an ex SORC racer from the early seventies. I have sailed my 41 on both coasts , starting in the San Pedro Channel (LA) and also crossed the Straights of Florida to the Bahamas many times. Now the boat is back here in LA and again I sail the San Pedro Channel to Catalina Island often. Both of these areas can dish up some pretty tall seas and high winds. I have been very satisfied with the boats performance as a good sailing boat. I have sailed in 44kts VTW. I have made some modifications however. I replaced the rudder with an elliptical shape which controls the boat with finger touch ease and balance. I also have small side ports and a cockpit bridge deck like the Redline 41 had . When I bought this boat I went over it much more thoroughly than the surveyor and was very satisfied with the mast step compression distribution, shroud knees etc. Fit and finish were lacking in areas, however I was not concerned. The metal hardware was original C&C and very robust. As was the general glass lay-up. In all areas The glassing / resin was very good.
The keel bolt nuts are resined over and have never showed signs of working I have never been easy on my boat and have worked to weather in 6+ foot seas. It takes 5+feet going up to start pounding, however I have never seen this “panting” even when feeling the sides while being below. I have never broken anything structural or have had only minor electrical problems due to some neglect. I have shipped her 2 times coast to coast and the last time the boat was tremendolsy over tightened to the trailer and showed no damage.
Prior to my onership my boat spent 1 day in the surf on a beach in Hawaii was dragged off by a cutter and sustained only a bent ruddershaft and was able to be sailed back to Ohahu for ship transport back to CA. I would highly recommend the 41 to anyone especially with my modifications. I also know of several other 41’s in my area here and the owners love them for their lines and sailing and construction strengths. recently we had a round SantaBarbara race in nasty winds and a 41 was the only boat to finish. The only area lacking can be fit and finish, which of course can be bettered
Your general oppinions are just plain wrong. This may be tough for you to deal with , however to speak as you do for over 180 boats produced and their satisfied owners exposes you as an oppinionated and ignorant. Sorry
Old 07-17-2006

kevlarpirate is on a distinguished road
Newport 41

The above post was specifically in response to Jeff H